2000 Ford F250 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 PM
pw2057
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford F250 transmission question

Hello--

I am not a gear head, but can find my way around mechanically. I'm looking to buy a 2000 Ford F250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel. I found a truck I like, except one issue.

When I test drove the truck, it was cold out; about 32 degrees. There seemed to be a slight hesitation in the transmission, both forward and reverse, until things warmed up. I was talking to the dealer about my concern, and his reply was this. He said their diesel mechanic told them that in some of of higher mileage (239k miles) trucks of this year, the transmissions will act this way until they warm up and build pressure, apparently due to a faulty pump in the transmission.

Since I don't claim to have any expertise on this matter, I figured I would see if this is complete bunk, or if anyone who does have some background in this might offer some advise.

The truck is in immaculate condition, and it appears to have been taken good care of. The fluids are clean and there is no burnt smell. I am quite interested in the truck, but I am cautious and not just going to buy it because it looks good. I don't want to be buying a new/ rebuilt transmission in the next few months. I'm trying to decide if I should pass on this truck and keep looking, or buy it. It's reasonably priced, but the real plus is that it came from Texas so that means no rust. It's background is that it is a one owner, personal use/ not commercially used vehicle. I believe it has the 4R100 transmission.

Thanks--

-- Paul W

Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 AM
jed1894
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not a mechanic either but wanted to welcome you on your first post.

See if the dealer will give you a 60 warranty on tranny. If not, he may know something that he's not telling you.

I would figure cost of tranny into price, if possible. I'm sure you've done some research, but that kind of problem doesn't sound like a normal issue.

Jed

Old 12-19-2015, 10:36 AM
greg_8507
Elder User
My transmission had just over 180,000 on it when it went out. I had no hesitation in it, even in cold weather. Assuming it still has the original transmission in it, it does have a lot more miles on it than mine did. I'm not a transmission guy, but it I think there is a need for transmission work.

With what these trucks are worth today, and the going rate for transmission work, that repair wouldn't leave the dealer with any room left for profit. Used car salesmen have a reputation for their honesty.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by pw2057
H the transmissions will act this way until they warm up and build pressure, apparently due to a faulty pump in the transmission.
Hmmm.....how can I put this without calling whoever told you this either a liar or incompetent to open his mouth?

I can't. Those are the choices, they are flat out lying to you, or much more likely, they have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER and are making up a story as their lips are flapping.

Anyone that knew ANYTHING about transmissions would know that it is FAR easier to build pressure cold. Maintaining pressure warmed up becomes a problem on higher mileage vehicles because of increased internal leakage.

So if what he said was true you would have this problem warm and it would never happen cold.

Delays cold are a "feature" of this transmission. That's the way they tend to work. I don't believe there is anything that can be done, or really needs to be done.

On the other hand, at 239,000 miles there may or may not be a lot of miles left in this trans. The only way to know is to take it out, tear it down, and measure everything. Other than doing that I recommend just drive it and know that a truck with 239,000 miles costs a ton less than a new one.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:44 PM
pw2057
New User
Originally Posted by jed1894
I'm not a mechanic either but wanted to welcome you on your first post.

See if the dealer will give you a 60 warranty on tranny. If not, he may know something that he's not telling you.

I would figure cost of tranny into price, if possible. I'm sure you've done some research, but that kind of problem doesn't sound like a normal issue.

Jed
Thank you Jed; that is good advise. I tried to negotiate that into the price but they claim they have to much into it to go as low as I wanted. It may be worth it if I can find a (reasonably priced) after market type drive train warranty. Sometimes outside companies will sell a "warranty plan". I will have to play it by ear; perhaps it just needs to sit a little longer so they get a little more desperate; we all know a car dealer doesn't like it when inventory sits too long. Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 PM
pw2057
New User
Originally Posted by greg_8507
My transmission had just over 180,000 on it when it went out. I had no hesitation in it, even in cold weather. Assuming it still has the original transmission in it, it does have a lot more miles on it than mine did. I'm not a transmission guy, but it I think there is a need for transmission work.

With what these trucks are worth today, and the going rate for transmission work, that repair wouldn't leave the dealer with any room left for profit. Used car salesmen have a reputation for their honesty.
Greg; I agree. We all know how dealers will try to cut corners for their own profit. Thank you.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:06 PM
pw2057
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Hmmm.....how can I put this without calling whoever told you this either a liar or incompetent to open his mouth?

I can't. Those are the choices, they are flat out lying to you, or much more likely, they have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER and are making up a story as their lips are flapping.

Anyone that knew ANYTHING about transmissions would know that it is FAR easier to build pressure cold. Maintaining pressure warmed up becomes a problem on higher mileage vehicles because of increased internal leakage.

So if what he said was true you would have this problem warm and it would never happen cold.

Delays cold are a "feature" of this transmission. That's the way they tend to work. I don't believe there is anything that can be done, or really needs to be done.

On the other hand, at 239,000 miles there may or may not be a lot of miles left in this trans. The only way to know is to take it out, tear it down, and measure everything. Other than doing that I recommend just drive it and know that a truck with 239,000 miles costs a ton less than a new one.
Mark, thank you very much. I have read many of your other posts and I have to hand it to you; you really know your way around a transmission.

I am very happy you commented. Now knowing what I do from your reply, I agree. I'm pretty sure that the dealer was trying to sell me a story (and a truck) without a clue what he was talking about. I suspect that you are accurate...he is both a liar AND an idiot.

You taught me some very valuable information and I am glad to know that it appears this transmission is operating correctly. I had no idea they were prone to some hesitation when cold. My family farms, and we have typically bought GM products in the past, which are a bit of a different animal from Ford and Dodge. You also make a great point. Its not a new truck which, now a days are so ridiculously priced. I don't have an extra kidney to give up for a new diesel, so I'm just looking for a good condition used truck at a reasonable price.

Thanks again; everyone on here has made excellent points and you guys are a great resource!

Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,064 Posts
It may be worth it if I can find a (reasonably priced) after market type drive train warranty. Sometimes outside companies will sell a "warranty plan".
In my opinion it is never worth it to buy an aftermarket warranty plan. I used to own an auto repair shop and dealt with many aftermarket warranties. A few of them would pay after making the customer pay part or all of some repairs, and some of them flat out refused to pay. I had one company that told me what was written on the contract my customer had didn't mean anything. Even though it said they paid for this whole list of parts, they were not going to pay. And what was I going to do about it? Nothing. There was nothing I could do about it. I told the customer they needed the parts and either he had to pay or I couldn't fix his car. He could go after HIS warranty company, I couldn't.

What works much better than an aftermarket warranty is to put the money you would spend on the warranty in a separate bank account. Either the full amount, or whatever you would have paid monthly, deposit that monthly. If you don't have a failure, you just keep the money. If you do, you have the money in the bank.

Greg; I agree. We all know how dealers will try to cut corners for their own profit. Thank you.
To be fair, what are dealers (or ANY business) in business for? Not to make you happy, or to give you free products, they are their to make a profit. If they don't make a profit they won't last long. There is nothing at all wrong with making a profit.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 AM
greg_8507
Elder User
In my opinion it is never worth it to buy an aftermarket warranty plan. I used to own an auto repair shop and dealt with many aftermarket warranties. A few of them would pay after making the customer pay part or all of some repairs, and some of them flat out refused to pay. I had one company that told me what was written on the contract my customer had didn't mean anything. Even though it said they paid for this whole list of parts, they were not going to pay. And what was I going to do about it? Nothing. There was nothing I could do about it. I told the customer they needed the parts and either he had to pay or I couldn't fix his car. He could go after HIS warranty company, I couldn't.
Good point. To add to this if I may, I have had a few friends who have had bad experiences with these aftermarket warranty companies. One buddy explained to me that he canceled his contract with one after he read in the fine print that the company could deny any claim at their discretion. I have no personal experience with these companies. It's also interesting to hear about how they are from the repair shops perspective.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM
pw2057
New User

What works much better than an aftermarket warranty is to put the money you would spend on the warranty in a separate bank account. Either the full amount, or whatever you would have paid monthly, deposit that monthly. If you don't have a failure, you just keep the money. If you do, you have the money in the bank.

To be fair, what are dealers (or ANY business) in business for? Not to make you happy, or to give you free products, they are their to make a profit. If they don't make a profit they won't last long. There is nothing at all wrong with making a profit.
That too is good advice. I didn't realize those after market warranty deals were so shady. Plus, you make an excellent point; if I don't use/ need the money I put aside it's still there for me to use later for something else if need be, like my IRA. Even if the after market companies were legit, if the service wasn't needed you're just out those premiums.

I also agree, everyone has to be in business to make a profit or they wouldn't be in business long. It just bothers me when they don't do it fairly or honestly, and I have also seen many places that don't; they stay in business running scams. Personally, I think that any business can still be very successful and profit, while still being fair and honest.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:55 PM
RichSla
New User
Transmission problem

Hello--I am new to this group and this is my first posting, but not new to this truck or this problem, I am a 35 year ford mechanic and currently owner operator of a fleet of 11 of these trucks, all of them with the 7.3 power stroke, 1/2 of them with the 4r100 auto transmission, if you like that truck and if it is in the price range of what it is worth then by all means buy it and don't worrie about the transmission, but make sure you keep it serviced properly, do you know what these trucks are worth? And make sure of the condition of the injectors. Rich

I am not a gear head, but can find my way around mechanically. I'm looking to buy a 2000 Ford F250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel. I found a truck I like, except one issue.

When I test drove the truck, it was cold out; about 32 degrees. There seemed to be a slight hesitation in the transmission, both forward and reverse, until things warmed up. I was talking to the dealer about my concern, and his reply was this. He said their diesel mechanic told them that in some of of higher mileage (239k miles) trucks of this year, the transmissions will act this way until they warm up and build pressure, apparently due to a faulty pump in the transmission.

Since I don't claim to have any expertise on this matter, I figured I would see if this is complete bunk, or if anyone who does have some background in this might offer some advise.

The truck is in immaculate condition, and it appears to have been taken good care of. The fluids are clean and there is no burnt smell. I am quite interested in the truck, but I am cautious and not just going to buy it because it looks good. I don't want to be buying a new/ rebuilt transmission in the next few months. I'm trying to decide if I should pass on this truck and keep looking, or buy it. It's reasonably priced, but the real plus is that it came from Texas so that means no rust. It's background is that it is a one owner, personal use/ not commercially used vehicle. I believe it has the 4R100 transmission.

Thanks--

-- Paul W[/QUOTE]

Old 12-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
Question: how do you know a car salesman is lying to you....his mouth is moving.

I would ask the dealer to do a transmission service that includes a new filter, these trucks also have a TC drain plug, so changing all the fluid is easy. I would also insist on watching while they change the fluid. Be sure they use the correct fluid, Mercon V.

Like other people said, get a written dealer 60 day warranty on the driveline to include the transmission parts and labor, if the trans is OK like he says then it should be no problem.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM
RichSla
New User
Are all used car salesmen liers, or do all liers become salesmen?

If it were me I would get him to come down on the price to cover the cost for a trans service and do it myself, to make sure it was done right. Rich

Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Gatordog
Senior User
It is like that old saying: "Not all Democrats are horse thieves. But in my experience all horse thieves are Democrats." Warren Delano, Franklin Roosevelt's grandfather.

What is the price for the truck? Does the truck have any service records? Be sure to show up in the morning to make sure you can cold start the truck. The dealer should also be able to do a Buzz test on the injectors. Those are some high dollar sticks.

It is a used truck and I bought a repo a year ago. So far I got lucky the truck runs great. It is a 2000 F-350 CC Dually 2 wheel drive with 202,000 miles, and I paid 5,250. My truck had cosmetic problems, the interior looked bad due to torn seats and missing radio. The underneath was very clean, and the truck was dealer serviced. Al

These are great trucks and I can't think of a better overall vehicle for towing.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:43 PM
pw2057
New User
Originally Posted by Gatordog
It is like that old saying: "Not all Democrats are horse thieves. But in my experience all horse thieves are Democrats." Warren Delano, Franklin Roosevelt's grandfather.

What is the price for the truck? Does the truck have any service records? Be sure to show up in the morning to make sure you can cold start the truck. The dealer should also be able to do a Buzz test on the injectors. Those are some high dollar sticks.

It is a used truck and I bought a repo a year ago. So far I got lucky the truck runs great. It is a 2000 F-350 CC Dually 2 wheel drive with 202,000 miles, and I paid 5,250. My truck had cosmetic problems, the interior looked bad due to torn seats and missing radio. The underneath was very clean, and the truck was dealer serviced. Al

These are great trucks and I can't think of a better overall vehicle for towing.
Well, they were asking $9,000 but I talked them down to $8,000. According to KBB and the market area, that is a reasonable price. I have seen many, in bad condition, sell for more. It's all what someone is willing to pay I guess, an I am pretty fussy. I have been looking for over a year for the right truck at the right price. I will definitely do some more checking on the injectors. New injectors will run me about $1200 (for all eight) just for parts, so I really don't want to get in that mess. Thanks for the advice; I will ask about a buzz test.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford F250 transmission question