How bad did I mess this up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:26 AM
bigalsmith102
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad did I mess this up?

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a 1995 Ford E-350 passenger bus with a 7.3L motor in it. It was leaking fuel into the coolant.

Today I undertook the task to replace the injector cups to solve the problem. I employed the help of two friends, both diesel mechanics at a local shop.

I ordered the injector cup removal and install kit from RiffRaff diesel, along with new cups and injector o-rings.

Here's where it gets bad.

For some reason due to miscommunication, during the install of the new injector cups, my friend the mechanic only applied the Loctite 620 to the large vertical flange of the injector cup, and no where else. I have the stock photo from Riffraff's instructions showing what I mean. The problem was apparently, in the black and white instructions, it's hard to see the green sealant on the bottom of the injector cup (as is visible in the photo) and thus it was neglected.

How much of a problem is this? I've resigned myself to figuring I'll likely need to order new cups to do this whole damn job again. Will the cups seal properly without the sealant at the bottom?

I really appreciate any responses, even if it's just to tell me how much of a dumba$$ I am. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2015, 04:43 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I would say that sealant definitely needs to be at the bottom.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with bill. Also in the second go around I can't stress enough that prep work in the head is absolutely vital to a long lasting instal. Any debris or old sealant can jeopardize the new seal

Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
X3 do it right because you'll regret it later down the road

Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM
bigalsmith102
New User
I knew it.

Before I even woke up this morning to read these replies, I knew I had F'ed up. When I texted my friend the mechanic that photo of the sealant being applied to both parts of the injector cups, he responded,

"I have a new set of cups here at the shop, I already bought them, don't worry about it, we f'ed up"...

I need to return the Riffraff rental tool by Monday this next week, so we'll be working on it this week.

That's the way it goes sometimes!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigalsmith102
Before I even woke up this morning to read these replies, I knew I had F'ed up. When I texted my friend the mechanic that photo of the sealant being applied to both parts of the injector cups, he responded,

"I have a new set of cups here at the shop, I already bought them, don't worry about it, we f'ed up"...

I need to return the Riffraff rental tool by Monday this next week, so we'll be working on it this week.

That's the way it goes sometimes!
Hey....stuff happens man. Look at the bright side. At least you caught it and it didn't cause you even bigger problems later on.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Hey....stuff happens man. Look at the bright side. At least you caught it and it didn't cause you even bigger problems later on.
exactly. I remember reading a thread on the superduty side of a fella redoing them 3 times. Finally another member swung in to help and the final result was a poor prep job on all the previous tries. Good luck and pay attention to detail

Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 AM
bigalsmith102
New User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
exactly. I remember reading a thread on the superduty side of a fella redoing them 3 times. Finally another member swung in to help and the final result was a poor prep job on all the previous tries. Good luck and pay attention to detail

Yes, I bought a wire brush at Napa today. We're going to tackle them again tomorrow after work. My friend already bought the cups and grabbed a bottle of Loctite 620 from work. It's time for round two!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:24 AM
bigalsmith102
New User
Can some one tell me, what is the best method of cleaning out these injector cup bores, and how clean do they need to be prior to the installation of the new cups?

Also, can you tell me how much of the Loctite 620 needs to be on these cups to ensure a good seal?

How do you guys go about getting the cup bores nice and dry and free of oil/residue? Getting the residual sealant off the very bottom of the bore (around the injector hole) is a pain in the ***!

Does anyone have any useful tips and tricks? We're installing the new cups tomorrow after work.

Thanks!

These are the injector cups that we removed today. They were first installed on Sunday, but without applying sealant to the bottom vertical flange. There was a lot of residual Loctite 620 that was wet to the touch after over 72 hours... Should it still be wet?!?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
About it still being wet, it's what I think they call an anaerobic compound and it only hardens in the absence of oxygen. So, it will never "dry" in the open air. It will harden where it's supposed to, in the area between the two surfaces it's sealing where air doesn't reach it. I learned this years ago when I tried to seal a cracked engine block by coating Loctite over the outside of the crack. It never hardened.

About any tips, I haven't changed out injector cups before so can't offer any advice.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 AM
bigalsmith102
New User
Well, today will tell...

Today will tell whether or not we got it right the second time around. Should be good to go now, and I'll be able to drive the bus (aka, party mobile, aka registered motorhome that you can drink in the back of in Washington state while driving down the road, making it an excellent weekend mobile for friends and family....) without worrying about it!

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 12-19-2015, 01:41 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Good luck. Keep us posted

Old 12-19-2015, 09:34 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
A 12 gauge barrel brush rigged on a drill works great for cleaning the bore.
Use wd40 for lube and brake clean to clean the bore. After cups have dried suck the cylinders out

Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
There was a write up in the 7.3 SD section about a month ago, it had some nice how to's with lots of pics. As for how much only a light dab should do the trick, I've done a couple of them, and I always tend to put some on the bottom of the cup so far so good (knock on wood)

Old 12-20-2015, 11:13 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
When all else fails read the instructions. Lol

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conten...eplacement.pdf

Quick Reply: How bad did I mess this up?