North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 PM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, I need to check in more often. Sorry for the disappearing act guys but it has been a couple of months physically and in the extra money and time department. Major back issues have slammed on the brakes of about any non essential activities. but things are getting better by the day so maybe I can get back to normal again. I am digging this thread, Good idea guys. I can help out with some of the projects when able. Painted a few cars. Here is my bosses 87 land cruiser I did back in 08.Turned out OK but could've been better.

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 07:59 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
*****!!!!!!!!!
Where ya been son?!
There's a few of us on here that know a little about that jacked up back. Most of my daily pills are just for my back.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:06 AM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Bob, I been quietly laying in pain that the normal pain meds didn't help at all with. Back to work now or as close to work as I can handle at this point. Hope be be back to 100% soon. Trying to get caught up on some bills and such. It feels so good to be able to take a step and not have pain shoot down your spine and legs. But I hope to become more active on here now that I can get to a computer.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Sounds like the pains I have, "Sciatic Nerve" damage. I have that from the waist down, more my left side than my right. It sucks, I do hope you get feeling better.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sign me up for the next event. Wouldn't mind wrenching on some stuff and getting to know some of you.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Glad your feeling better, Willie. I just found this thread also. You guys do nice work.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
*****, good to see you back! Sorry to hear about the troubles, hopefully sitting and bending some strings doesn't hurt too much.

Tony,
whenever your ready to pull the trigger on that down pipe. I'm sure a group of us will ride up for the day and help you knock it out, if you've got the tools and what not to do it. If not well, we might still, we'd just have to bring the tools with us instead.

Onus,
Glad you found the page. if you have anything under the knife, or need help, just let us know. If you want check out the dinner thread. We will ride out to lexington again this year, and get a group together for some BBQ there. You could ride out and meet up with all of us. we may even get as far as Charlotte one of these days.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:46 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I think one of my first projects when we get some decent weather is to see if I/we can find what's killing the battery on Ka'Bluey. I've been through several battery's, and the alternator has always checked out to be good. There were wiring issues the entire time I owned em' before. After getting him back it's worse. Tim and I have pulled out wires that ran to nothing, all from under the dash, and going to the front bumper. That one ended up being for fog lights someone mounted on there after I sold him. And yes, they left a hot wire (when switched) laying on the front bumper.
Wire Party

Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
When ever you are ready. I love a good wiring gremlin to troubleshoot. I've got all sorts of doo-hickeys and widgets to use when trying to find one.

Also on a play toy I like to keep a battery maintainer wired in. I have a mid-tronics one, but certainly don't need all that. A 30 dollar water-proof one would be fine. I finally replaced the battery on the jeep, though it feels like only a year ago that I put it in it was more like 5 once I checked the date on it.

Next project is the wheel bearing on the jeep, and then the fuel tanks\pumps\fuel lines on the 350. Since the bed is off and all.

Also, Bob if you could help out with a list of all the things i'll need to paint the 350, that would be helpful. I've got some stuff that came with the shop, such as primer and thinner. But since is my first time delving into paint, I'd prefer to know what I need so I can figure out what I don't have.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:53 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try and find an intercooler and pluming first. A new pump and injectors may be on the list also. Since I don't need the truck except to tow with, I just take my time when I start projects like this. But if I get into a bind, I'll holler.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:13 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
When ever you are ready. I love a good wiring gremlin to troubleshoot. I've got all sorts of doo-hickeys and widgets to use when trying to find one.
Glad you enjoy it and have specialty tools, cause I don't enjoy it, and I don't have any cool tools for that kind of work.
I'm hoping to get Ka'Bluey legal tomorrow if all (Funding, getting over Christmas) goes well. But any decent weekend you want to get together is fine with me.
To paint your truck, I'd think you'd go with enamel paint, then find the color you want to put on it, then either a single stage (no clear) or at a two stage (needs a clear top coat). Enamel reducer, and temperature and humidity makes a difference of what reducer you'll need, then an activator (hardener). Enamel seal coat to put the paint on top of for better adhesion for the paint.
Extras like Prepsol, to remove silicone's, and oil's like WD-40 and such that may be on the surface that can cause "Fish Eye" in the paint. Tack cloth's to wipe down the body to help pick up dust etc...... Stir sticks, measuring cup for paint....
Pretty good list huh!

Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Glad you enjoy it and have specialty tools, cause I don't enjoy it, and I don't have any cool tools for that kind of work.
I'm hoping to get Ka'Bluey legal tomorrow if all (Funding, getting over Christmas) goes well. But any decent weekend you want to get together is fine with me.
To paint your truck, I'd think you'd go with enamel paint, then find the color you want to put on it, then either a single stage (no clear) or at a two stage (needs a clear top coat). Enamel reducer, and temperature and humidity makes a difference of what reducer you'll need, then an activator (hardener). Enamel seal coat to put the paint on top of for better adhesion for the paint.
Extras like Prepsol, to remove silicone's, and oil's like WD-40 and such that may be on the surface that can cause "Fish Eye" in the paint. Tack cloth's to wipe down the body to help pick up dust etc...... Stir sticks, measuring cup for paint....
Pretty good list huh!

Yep, that's a good list. Here I've been thinking about paint guns and sand paper, and a water separator, and never would of thought of those.

I might have some time this sunday if you want to track down the wiring on the truck. I can bring out a battery charger, and the DMM's and such.

Just let me know.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Sounds like a deal to me. Let me know what your Sunday looks like when it gets here.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 PM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Bob, Don't worry about a color paint gun. I can let you use my Sata Rp digital with a 1.4 tip so it can spray about anything you decide to use. Also got a Mac tools gun I have used for primer and sealer. Don't forget the respirator, paint suit really isn't that necessary, Tack cloths, Lots of tape and a pack of new razor blades. I have a roll of painters plastic, and a roll of masking paper. once you get started there will always be something you forget. Lol. But it seams you have enough help to make ole Blue shine like a new penny. Look at Summit Racing's website, the have some decent quality economy paint packages. Avoid the cost I had with the paint for my bike. Damn paint used on just the flames was $300 a pint. You can go from mild to wild depending how much you enjoy taping. We got your back brother. No I did not paint my bike. I left it to the pros for the money that paint cost. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Attached Images     
Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I still have all of my body tools, the paint gun is gone. It was a Mac, but a DeVilbiss JGA clone. Nice all around gun. Then I started using everything Binks brand.
And all of that masking paper, tape, and good sand paper is high as a kite!

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread