1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on dually trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
thoughts on dually trucks?

I am considering a dually to replace my current F250. I recently bought a 4000lb arctic fox slide in camper to replace my much lighter older camper. I had to add airbags to my F250 and it carries the big camper ok but I am over the legal rear axle weight and I do have to pay attention while driving or it can get "twitchy" at highway speeds. I drive a company truck full time so the truck will only see about 4000 miles a year as my camping and hunting rig. What pros and cons can I expect?

Old 12-09-2015, 09:46 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The dually will definitely be more stable and handle the load better. Fuel mileage will drop a little and getting into tight spots will be a pain(atm, garage, etc).

Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
The con is daily driving due to width/lenth. It was the only thing that I didn't care for. We had a lance on ours and it was so sweet for the camper. The truck handled the camper so well, I had none of that swaying/unstable feeling. Big campers need a dually IMO. I have a friend w/a 2015 F350 srw that gets by w/a arctic fox that is 3500 dry. He would rather have the dually but drives his truck daily for work. You won't regret a dually for that camper, plus its not your daily driver. Here's a pic of what I did with direct bolt on 19.5's.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:19 AM
t-loc1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I towed a very large slide in camper for years with my dually. Never appreciated the dually until I sold it and bought a single rear wheel truck. Long story short, I sold my camper for a smaller one because it sucked bad hauling it around compared to the dually! Its hard to park either of the trucks, so the only draw back I ever saw was when I had to buy tires! If its a big heavy camper, no questions about it, you want a dually!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:36 AM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a backup camera on my dually ('04 Sierra 3500 Cab&Chassis Flatbed), I can park better than I can with my F150 extended cab longbox. Sure I can't get in the narrow spots, but I can get nice and close without touching lightposts, signs, vehicles.

Best investment I've made for the truck.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If you need it for a big slide in or 5th wheel, and it sounds like you do with a 4K camper, then you should go for it. Just be aware of its limitations that the others have posted. I didn't buy one simply because it wouldn't fit my garage space - and really haven't felt I needed one with my truck and long/fairly heavy trailer combo.

Why not first give your SRW and camper a test run first before spending lots of money - it may work just fine.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
-tire rotation is a challenge
-it is rare that you will not need "the speacial tool" to remove the inner wheels
-the weight class may change your inspection requirements...especially with emmissions
-becareful about winding up with a deisel, went from 08 V10 to 2010 6.4L and I am starting to wonder what i was thinking....like the truck...hate the issues around ford deisel's right now.
-make sure the truck as antisway bars in front and back...not all do
-a 4.X rear end would be a plus
-there are differences with 99-04 and 05-pres dually rim stud spacing....so watch out for that.
-a dually on 17's rides very well, 18's seem a little bouncy to me
-I think the brake rotors got bigger in 08...check into that
-the wider truck is a little more difficult to drive in metro areas and narrow bridges....folks in other lanes seem leary of trying to pass me.
-mud flaps in the front a must or your going to be spray debris all over your rear fenders

Old 12-10-2015, 08:45 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved my Dually when I had it, I miss it a lot.
Towing is so much nicer (I imagine the same would be true for a camper).
I got used to driving it in town very quickly.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 PM
oxt127
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another thought would that no single wheel truck is rated to hold that much weight. You have to have the dually to keep it legal. Over weight tickets are $$$$$$$

Old 12-10-2015, 01:47 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RainDesert
The con is daily driving due to width/lenth. It was the only thing that I didn't care for. We had a lance on ours and it was so sweet for the camper. The truck handled the camper so well, I had none of that swaying/unstable feeling. Big campers need a dually IMO. I have a friend w/a 2015 F350 srw that gets by w/a arctic fox that is 3500 dry. He would rather have the dually but drives his truck daily for work. You won't regret a dually for that camper, plus its not your daily driver. Here's a pic of what I did with direct bolt on 19.5's.

What are the specs on those wheels and tires? (Make/size)

Is there a lift on that truck?

I definitely want to look into 19.5" wheels as I'm burning through tires way to fast. Plus I like the look better.

To the OP I love knowing the fact that my dually can handle the loads I put on it much better than a SRW could or should. Stable as can be. I don't own a slide in camper but tow a 14k dump and often load my truck bed in addition. The F250 I had would have bulging tires, severe squat, and be very squirrelly.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RainDesert

The truck I am looking at is a spittin image of this one right down to color. Its on an 8" BDS lift and is a full load lariat. The 6L only has 85,000 miles and recently was gone through with all the updates. Lots of other extras too. Sounds like I might need it!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:08 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
What are the specs on those wheels and tires? (Make/size)

Is there a lift on that truck?

I definitely want to look into 19.5" wheels as I'm burning through tires way to fast. Plus I like the look better.

To the OP I love knowing the fact that my dually can handle the loads I put on it much better than a SRW could or should. Stable as can be. I don't own a slide in camper but tow a 14k dump and often load my truck bed in addition. The F250 I had would have bulging tires, severe squat, and be very squirrelly.
I owned it back around 2008. I believe it was a 4" front spring lift with a add a leaf in rear plus slightly taller block. The wheels were eagle direct bolt on 19.5" on 8x170 lug pattern. The tires were kumho appx. 34.5x10.5 16ply. It looks like the size I had is no longer on their website, but here is the link of the tire that they were:
937 - Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by eberlestock
The truck I am looking at is a spittin image of this one right down to color. Its on an 8" BDS lift and is a full load lariat. The 6L only has 85,000 miles and recently was gone through with all the updates. Lots of other extras too. Sounds like I might need it!

An 8" lift is going to **** away any benefit of a dually. I hope you're considering putting it back to stock if you got that route.

That said I love my dually. I don't "need" it for my trailer, but my trailer rides level with plenty of bed rail clearance I wouldn't have with a SRW. I'll drive it anywhere, the length is more of a challenge than the width in reality. Mine is not a DD, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as one. 6 17" tires VS 4 20's comes out to pretty much a wash stock for stock.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:18 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
An 8" lift is going to **** away any benefit of a dually. I hope you're considering putting it back to stock if you got that route.

The 8" lift is a bit much but I would leave it in. Its also rolling on 38s but I would swap them for e rated 35s. My trucks are always lifted and I realize its not the best for a camper rig but its what I do. My current camper truck has a 6" suspension and it really isn't too bad with that big heavy camper. My truck use is 90% off road, even with the camper. It will be a hunting/camping rig with a bit of highway between off road locations.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:27 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
I love the "EarthRoamer" look, it's kind of what I had in mind. You can adjust your truck to handle the camper when lifted. I chose the dually w/19.5's as part of that adjustment. It really handled awesome. The unloaded ride did suffer with the tires though....

Quick Reply: thoughts on dually trucks?