1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Any way to soften the ride a bit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:28 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Expy rides a little rough. I've got the 4 corner LLS and Michelin Cross Terrain tires, which are H rated. Granted, the "H" rating is going to be a fairly stiff sidewall which will contribute to a harder ride, but I get a lot of jarring rattles when going over just about any terrain. The actual suspension works fine - coming down of a bridge at 65mph, the suspension eats it up and a dips a bit but it's very smooth. However, the rest of the time, I feel little shakes and bumps throughout the whole truck - the suspension theoretically should eat them up and keep everything smooth, but I definitely feel everything - just like in my '77 MGB - you feel every little bump in the road.

I understand that with the live axle in the rear that It's not going to ride like a Mercedes, but my current situation is a little ridiculous. I noticed that there are shocks in addition to my airbags - would putting better shocks on there help dampen this little bumps? I don't want to shake the truck to pieces.

Also, my tires are balanced, so that's not the issue.

Any ideas, fellas?

XXL

Old 08-07-2003, 12:54 AM
tonum24
Senior User

BIGMATT- Getting a quality shock like Koni should help as they are quicker in absorbing wheel movement. As far as the Michelin's being H rated the sidewall isn't stiff at all on those. For example my Toyo's have a pretty stiff sidewall but yet the ride is the same as the stock Goodyears--this fact did surprise me. (305/50/20). I also have urethane bushings on my anti sway bars. Maybe those air bags give a harsher ride?

Old 08-07-2003, 01:00 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Originally posted by tonum24
As far as the Michelin's being H rated the sidewall isn't stiff at all on those.
The difference between an H rated tire and your usual S or Q rated tire (what truck tires usually are) is night and day. I was grilling the Michelin rep when she came to my store, and she said that I'm not the only person complaining about how stiff the H rated Cross Terrains are. They handle great, but the tradeoff is that you feel every bump in the road.

XXL

Old 08-07-2003, 06:37 AM
Petrol
Elder User

well you could always disconnect that rear sway bar and ship it to me, actually Annapolis isn't that far, maybe I should just drive up, lol

Old 08-07-2003, 06:48 AM
redvet
Senior User

Originally posted by BigMattXXL
The difference between an H rated tire and your usual S or Q rated tire (what truck tires usually are) is night and day. I was grilling the Michelin rep when she came to my store, and she said that I'm not the only person complaining about how stiff the H rated Cross Terrains are. They handle great, but the tradeoff is that you feel every bump in the road.

XXL
I have 17" Cooper Discoverer H/T's and their a bit stiff also.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:32 AM
tonum24
Senior User

Well, stifness is a relative term because my Toyo's are like "wicked stiff" , But yet no harshness.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Originally posted by tonum24
Well, stifness is a relative term because my Toyo's are like "wicked stiff" , But yet no harshness.
As they say, "True Dat"

I know what you mean. My problem is that when I go over washboard roads or small potholes, my truck feels as rough as a Radio Flyer wagon would - no suspension, just a lot of jarring.

I'm thinking about switching the tires and seeing if Bilstein can get me some different shocks (according to my dealership, there are shocks that supplement the airbag suspension. I'm thinking that they're for heavy-duty use with the tow package, which is why it rides so rough)

XXL

Old 08-07-2003, 01:00 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Originally posted by Petrol
well you could always disconnect that rear sway bar and ship it to me, actually Annapolis isn't that far, maybe I should just drive up, lol
Arrrgh....'tis Petrol, ye filthy scumbag.....touch me swaybar and you'll a be sleepin' in Davy Jones' Locker....Arrrgh!

Can you tell I saw Pirates of the Carribbean the other night?

BTW- where are you in Virginia? I spend a decent amount of time in the Springfield area at a nightclub called Jaxx. They host tons of metal bands all the time.

Great fun!

XXL

Old 08-07-2003, 11:59 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro

Put on 75 series tires with a lesser speed rating.....how often are you road racin' you ride? I hope never in a 5500# land yacht.

My 4x4 with Bridgestone Dueler 285/75's and Ranchos rides like a Caddy. I was doing 90 today between SA and Houston and it only felt like I was doing 89. Really it felt like 50. I've had several people comment on how smooth and quiet my beast is....except around 30 mph when the tires hum a bit.

Old 08-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Petrol
Elder User

I couldn't think of any other way to soften your ride without airing down the tires (which I would never do)

I still haven't got the chance to take the fam out to see "Pirates of the Carribbean" but is is on a couple screens here in Richmond.

I have been to Jaxx. But not in a long time.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:50 PM
RoadArmor
New User

Big Matt,

I just went through this on a my 98 Navi 4x4 with LLS at all 4 corners. Shakes like a wet dog when on rough roads. Like yours it does soak up the big stuff, but can be very dissapointing in certain road condtions. Lets just say I'd be PISSED if I spent the big bucks for this rig new. I don't think tires are your problem. I've tried two different sets and neither made a bit any difference.

What did make a difference was cranking down the torsion bar and throwing on a set of Bilsteins in the rear. Now don't FREAK at the torsion bar twist beacuse with the LLS suspension your height should'nt change. If it does you can always the front load leveling sensor.

The ride went from ok, to down right plush!!! With a whole lot less shakes.

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-17-2003, 11:00 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Originally posted by RoadArmor
Big Matt,

I just went through this on a my 98 Navi 4x4 with LLS at all 4 corners. Shakes like a wet dog when on rough roads. Like yours it does soak up the big stuff, but can be very dissapointing in certain road condtions. Lets just say I'd be PISSED if I spent the big bucks for this rig new. I don't think tires are your problem. I've tried two different sets and neither made a bit any difference.

What did make a difference was cranking down the torsion bar and throwing on a set of Bilsteins in the rear. Now don't FREAK at the torsion bar twist beacuse with the LLS suspension your height should'nt change. If it does you can always the front load leveling sensor.

The ride went from ok, to down right plush!!! With a whole lot less shakes.

Just my 2 cents

Now we're talking. About the torsion bars - I've heard people mention them in passing, but I know very little about them. What are they, what do they do, how can I adjust them, and are there any adverse affects to adjusting them? Is it going to lean and wallow like a boat?

Thanks in advance - your situation sounds identical to mine.

XXL

Old 08-17-2003, 11:37 PM
RoadArmor
New User

Big Matt,
I will say that I noticed a more "Plush" ride, but not a floating boat feel. If I want firm I'll take my sports ride to work!

Main difference was a reduction in what I call cabin shake. That feeling of watching your dash shake to death as you cross over a couple of freakin turtles.

I knew there had to be a way to reduce it. I tried both crakin them up and then lowering them all the way down. What I found was that Lowering it all the way down rode better in my opinion. I really think it has someting to do with the nature of those front load leving shocks(which I replaced last week as well).

Torsion bar twist is simple. Look underneath your rig squarely in the middle. Follow the 4 foot long bars to the middle crossmember and looking inside the crossmeber channel you'll see a adjusting bolt. Twist clockwise and you'lll put more load on the bar(make sure she's jacked up with load off suspension) Twist them counter clock wise and the load is reduced and thus the rig drops.
What really happens for the better is a increased amount of suspension drop and looking at the suspension geometry, a control arm with less angle on it. Plus the front LLS shocks recieve more air, which I think they need to be more effective.
Now I don't claim to be a expert on suspensions, but I've plaved with everything from Miata's to 911's. I searched on every Fourm I could find and could'nt find a dam thing, so I had to start tinkering and I beleive it's night and day form what I started with.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:49 PM
RoadArmor
New User

Big Matt,
Do you know any thing about Alignment of 4 corner LLS suspension??

After playing with the front and puting on a new set of tires, I'd figured I would have it aligned. But how the hell does a shop get the proper alignment unless you flip the LLS switch to "OFF" while in Drive. The miniute I turn the rig off I now drop about 3". Which would mean that If adjusted to specs with the rig turned off I would be way off once under way. I think the previous owner may have had this happen as the tires that were on it had wear consistant with poor alignment. I called a Local alingment shop on Friday and they glossed right over my concerns and said "No Problem"?????
I guess will see on Wednesday!!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:44 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Originally posted by RoadArmor
Big Matt,
Do you know any thing about Alignment of 4 corner LLS suspension??

After playing with the front and puting on a new set of tires, I'd figured I would have it aligned. But how the hell does a shop get the proper alignment unless you flip the LLS switch to "OFF" while in Drive. The miniute I turn the rig off I now drop about 3". Which would mean that If adjusted to specs with the rig turned off I would be way off once under way. I think the previous owner may have had this happen as the tires that were on it had wear consistant with poor alignment. I called a Local alingment shop on Friday and they glossed right over my concerns and said "No Problem"?????
I guess will see on Wednesday!!
From what I've seen, I think the LLS does more of a body lift than anything else - the suspension angles remain the same, but the body is what's moving up and down (that's the leveling part of it). I wouldn't worry about it.

XXL

Quick Reply: Any way to soften the ride a bit?