Anemic 460 after 4180C rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 PM
rugster1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anemic 460 after 4180C rebuild

Hello, FTE. Hoping someone will spot something obvious that I must be missing. This is about a 1980 E-250 that's been sitting in my yard for about 5 yrs. Odo. says 26k. I bought it 6 yrs. ago from an acquaintance in whose yard it had also been dormant, who said he bought it from the first owner who rarely drove it, so maybe it's true. So here goes.
New battery, changed oil before turning it over. New motorcraft ASF42C plugs, gapped to .044. Wires, cap and rotor still look new from last time waking it up. Fresh gas, blew out fuel line w/ compressed air, new rubber. New fuel pump. Rebuilt 4180C w/ Walker kit #15720A. Idle air screws 1.5 turns out, accelerator pump shoots strong, adjusted @ .015 w/ feeler gauge. Secondary stop screw .25 turn past closed. Carb cleaner shoots cleanly through passageway and when holding diaphragm housing separately I can feel, hear it working. The gasket between housing and carb. body and check ball are in place. The secondaries didn't feel sticky when I had it in my hands, and no linkage is holding them shut, but they aren't opening. Truck drives like it has a 300 w/ no compression. I had my buddy drive it, stepping hard on the gas while I popped 'em open w/ a screwdriver and it fell on it's face. No Catalyst label on hood sticker. It has the Standard Issue right rear manifold leak. Timing is spot-on @9 btdc, And w/ the hose attached I can watch it advance with the throttle. Vacuum gauge wavers around 18 in. at steady, low idle(no tach.), dips before rising on throttle application, rises before dropping when releasing the throttle. I can hear a very faint high pitch whistle at idle(neighbor training dogs?), but feeling around have yet to find a leak. The fresh air pump belt is attached, which rattles (on shot bearings, I think). It doesn't miss or stutter like spark breaking down with a bad coil, it just won't pull. If I force the issue and mat the throttle it will pop back through the carb., but that's just treating the thing badly. I drove this truck for a year or so the last time around and remember it being quite strong compared to the 360cid Dodges I had previously. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, and any help would be appreciated. My girl likes me better with hair.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
I've ever been great on drive ability issues. I would have suggested a vacuum leak, but sounds like it idles and 18 is not bad. You say it is advancing with throttle, you might check your full advance against what it is suppose to have. I'm not sure what product is used these days to spray around the carb base and intake to look for leaks, you could check into that.
Not a sure fire method but you will know if your coil is weak, get one of those inexpensive tools you put on a plug wire to see how far the spark will jump. Sounds like ignition is the one thing you don't have solid numbers on.
Just a thought, and not very likely I suppose but it has been sitting in the yard, any chance the exhaust is plugged up by critters, or has rusted and collapsed somewhere?
Wish I could offer more,

B

Old 12-05-2015, 09:59 AM
rugster1
Freshman User
Thanks, Oldb, for your reply. Didn't even think to take a peek up the pipe. I once had an expansion chamber equipped RD Yamaha that started shooting acorns. Will try all of your suggestions, any are appreciated. I started thinking about just replacing the carb with a new Holley, but they're not cheap and I hate to quit and spend my way out of a problem I can't solve. Also, I would probably fall on my sword if it didn't help. Thanks again and I will continue posting.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
rugster1
Freshman User
460/4180C

Originally Posted by rugster1
Thanks, Oldb, for your reply. Didn't even think to take a peek up the pipe. I once had an expansion chamber equipped RD Yamaha that started shooting acorns. Will try all of your suggestions, any are appreciated. I started thinking about just replacing the carb with a new Holley, but they're not cheap and I hate to quit and spend my way out of a problem I can't solve. Also, I would probably fall on my sword if it didn't help. Thanks again and I will continue posting.
Turns out the new needle and seat in the kit (secondary) was no good. Posted details over in vans, if anyone wants to learn about adjustment. Again, really appreciate the response. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Good for you for sticking with the troubleshooting rather than just changing parts. Keep up the good work.

B

Old 12-10-2015, 08:23 AM
rugster1
Freshman User
Bad needle and seat in rebuild kit.

Thanks again. In future, will post anything that might seem useful to others