Sponsored by: Moser

390 exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:02 AM
jay_blu
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
390 exhaust.

So if you guys were installing some new flow tech headers on your 390, would you use the gaskets that they came with or a variation of the felpro heat shields, doubled or single,?

I don't really want to pull the heads to have them resurfaced. The stock cast manifolds were leaking really bad. Started to pull them, broke off 4 bolts in the head just doing one lol. I was using a 3/8 ratchet trying to be easy broke all 4 of the top ones, then i was like we'll if they are just going to brake I'm going to have some fun and get out the big impact. The rest came out no problem haha. That's what i get for trying to be easy. Anyways I pulled to front clip so I could get to the bolts that I broke. When I go to put it back together, just curious what gasket you would use.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:26 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
If I were installing Flowtechs, I would use Remflex gaskets due to their thickness... and Stage 8 fasteners (with anti-seize) so they don't back off.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:52 PM
jay_blu
Senior User
I planned on the anti seize, i was going to use the bolts that came with it and order a set of the arp studs maybe?

I was asking about the felpro's because I have 2 sets lol. I thought the remflex people were having problems with them, and the customer service? Or was that just one person?.... anyways thanks for the advice hiho. Are the flowtechs pretty bad? I got them for dirt cheap brand new? figured it couldn't be worse than a cracked oem lol

Old 11-30-2015, 05:54 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My reflex gaskets have performed outstandingly for the three months I have had them so far.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
My remflex gaskets have performed outstandingly for the three months I have had them so far.
Remflex Exhaust Header / Manifold Gaskets

...Available through our friends at Summit Racing: Remflex Exhaust Header Gasket for the mighty, tree stump pullin' Ford FE Engines

Old 12-02-2015, 10:49 PM
jay_blu
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
My local auto parts store has some and can order others. Anyways, there are like 4 or 5 models of gaskets for an fe. I wasnt sure which ones to order... i just got the ones for 390 truck 67 to 74 or something like that.

Second thing, should I wrap them? Its like $120? How much would it help if at all?

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
You mean like with DEI header wrap? The issue with header wraps is when they get wet and don't have enough time to dry off that it accelerates rust. According to what I have researched, header manufacturers typically don't honor their warranty if the headers were wrapped.

Header wrap does however reduce underhood temperatures. I went with ceramic coated headers specifically to address underhood temps and to avoid ..... rusty headers.

Your call.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 AM
jay_blu
Senior User
It could help with my electric fan not having to run near as much maybe?

I'm not even sure i have much for a warrantee, I bought them off craigs list new but still second hand.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 PM
jay_blu
Senior User
omg exhaust on this truck sucks @$$

So how in the sam hell do you fit these headers on here? There is no way that it will go between the frame and the block to get it in position. I got it half way in, scratched the crap out of them, and they are wedged between the block and the frame.

am i missing something? Do i need to cut them to pieces get them on the weeks then on the truck? How do you do this in at my whits end with this damn truck's exhaust its sooo freaking bad just to replace blown out manifold gaskets my truck is going to be useless for a year

Old 12-09-2015, 05:19 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Ummm.. did the headers come with instructions?

Typically long tubes on an FE require that the right engine mount be unbolted from the perch, the left side mount loosened, and the engine jacked up to allow the necessary clearance.

..... and that's why I chose Sanderson's 3/4-length headers.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:41 PM
jay_blu
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Ummm.. did the headers come with instructions?

Typically long tubes on an FE require that the right engine mount be unbolted from the perch, the left side mount loosened, and the engine jacked up to allow the necessary clearance.

..... and that's why I chose Sanderson's 3/4-length headers.
No directions, i was curious if it was because i have a highboy and the frame is too narrow?

Anyways thanks for the help!!! I will try that. I may just have to pull the motor and rebuild it lol looks like the head gaskets are leaking oil

Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
A highboy frame is only narrower in the back from a typical Dentside. The front frame rails are same-same.

I ran into the same issue with long tubes on my 73...Two tubes went in front of the perch and two behind. I ended up unbolting the perch, placing it between the headers, bolting the headers, and then bolting the perch. PITA.

I assume you mean valve cover gaskets and not head gaskets.... if the latter is leaking oil then there are BIG issues with the engine.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:14 PM
jay_blu
Senior User
Well the heads don't have any oil on them they are clean. The block is covered in oil, it looks like it is coming from the head gasket. ...

Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 AM
jay_blu
Senior User
The flowtechs i have are wrong, they are the 12540flt, i need the 12542flt i think. Anyways what headers should i get hio silver? If I have to buy new ones stays the best option? Im not sure I need headmans or want to spend $500 on them.

I won't be getting much back for the flowtechs if i can even sell them. Any one want some brand new sratched to **** flowtech 12540flt? Like $50 you pay shipping lol.

I'm not to worried about if they are easy to get on, Im sure one I get the proper headers I will be fine since the front clip of the truck is off already.

I have a 1977 f250 4x4 4spd divorced xfercase, 390 with D2TEAA heads..... already have the rem flex gaskets, just would like to get the truck going again.

I was kinda thinking while the front clip was off I may pull the 390 and have it rebuilt, do some head work and get an aluminum intake, cj valves and some port work done on the exhaust, shoot maybe even pick up a cam. I'm really on the fence, I know it would be good. But it had always ran good for the family. Shoot I have taken it on a few cross state trips 600 miles no problem. Well beside the heater core catching fire.... that's another story. Anyways I want my truck back on the road bad, I don't want this to turn into a restore.... I just wanted to fix the exhaust leak. 2months later here i am.

I should be getting a 50x75x16 clear span steel shop with in the next 2yrs. After thats up i can restore the truck. Right now my 70 torino is on the chopping block.

sorry this turned so long, I really value your guys input. Either way I thank you for your time!

Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 PM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
When I had my 1975 f100 4x4 with a 390 I used flowtechs headers. Unbolting or raising the engine is NOT required. The passenger side header split in to two sections by cutting the flange (had a small cut started to locate where to finish) and went around the engine mount. Very easy to install.

Quick Reply: 390 exhaust.