6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

RAM Interior vs Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:48 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RAM Interior vs Super Duty

I was recently in a friends 2016 RAM truck. Though at first glance it looked to be of much higher end materials and appeared to have alot of "soft touch" areas, i was actually shocked to see that many of the areas that appeared to be soft touch were infact hard plastic. I noticed the door panels did have quite a bit of soft touch materials but it felt really cheap as opposed to a higher end luxury feel. The dash was entirely plastic and the nav screen looked washed out.

I know RAM really upped the game in regards to what a truck intior should look like, but the quality really isnt there.

I can honeslty say that my Super Duty interior appears to be made out of higher quality materials and looks nicer in comparison. Ford really did a great job laying out sll tye controls and buttons in a much more user friendly fashion.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:32 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,676 Likes on 1,658 Posts
I did test a '15 Dodge Laramie Longhorn when I was broke down with my '15 SD......a friend has one that I used to haul my rig about 350 miles to the dealership where I bought mine. Although the interior looks nce, the seats were not as comfortable as my SD, it did not really seem to be of any higher quality than my KR! The mighty cummins did not get as good of fuel mileage as my SD, nor did it feel quite a strong, but then it is a 2500 so it does not have the high output engine nor the Aisin tranny. Then the next day, I did drive a 3500 dually with the HO engne and Aisin trans, in this one, there was not enough headroom for me with a power sunroof....my head was rubbing the roof without a hat or cap on! And the seats were the same as my friends....not as comfortable as my SD. I do like their idea of having a guage on the DEF tank.......hello Ford....are you listening? So, with all that, I still thnk the Ford is the best choice for me.
I know that things like seating can be just a matter of personal preference, so saying that one is actually better than another is kind of subjective.
I do like the engine brake in the Cummins better than the one in my Ford, although when I manually downshift the Ford to get the RPMs up and make the e-brake work, it is very effective.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,433 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Ram has gotten some good reviews as of lately. So what you are really indicating is that they have finally caught up with the rest of the pack.

Controls and layout of GM/Ram are not done with the driver in mind on somethings.

I think Ford is a little better but there is room there as well.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:37 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the current ram is the look, mostly the front.

Everything looks nice and it would probably be just as well as my SD for what I need.

I've noticed that another member here has gotten a new ram and I've searched for his review of it but I don't know, he might just not want the hassle of another thread. I'd like to know his thoughts on the subject though. (Andre)

Old 11-28-2015, 07:16 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj

I've noticed that another member here has gotten a new ram and I've searched for his review of it but I don't know, he might just not want the hassle of another thread. I'd like to know his thoughts on the subject though. (Andre)
Not sure if he has one on FTE. Here is his review from CF:

Comparison of my '11 Ford PSD v. my '15 Ram Cummins - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 737 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
The only thing I don't like about the current ram is the look, mostly the front.

Everything looks nice and it would probably be just as well as my SD for what I need.

Originally Posted by UGA33
Not sure if he has one on FTE. Here is his review from CF:

Comparison of my '11 Ford PSD v. my '15 Ram Cummins - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Guys, everything is in the one page thread ... try to keep up please!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15777358

Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
Guys, everything is in the one page thread ... try to keep up please!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15777358
I completely forget that thread exists even though it stays at the top of the page...

Old 11-28-2015, 10:10 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,251 Likes on 2,262 Posts
lol...it's not like I'm a new guy. I'd say after owning the Ram even longer, the interior has gotten even better. I love it.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I am biased now that I'm an owner, but I find that the Ram interior, gauge cluster, and Unconnect infotainment system makes for a much nicer interior environment.

I do find that the Ford seats seam to be more comfortable than the Ram's. Longhorn leather, to me, seems to be much higher quality than the Ford KR (2011+). I didn't find that the new Ford KR or Platinum leather.

The door catches though, on the Ram, are not nearly as strong as the Ford's. A gust of wind (light) will cause the door to close.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with the Ford interior outside of the MyFord Touch system and I'm 100% positive, the new 2017 interior will bring the interior materials quality in line with the rest of the pack.

I only worry about the continual increases in prices. These trucks are well into the $70k+ range.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,462 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by IronCobra
I was recently in a friends 2016 RAM truck. Though at first glance it looked to be of much higher end materials and appeared to have alot of "soft touch" areas, i was actually shocked to see that many of the areas that appeared to be soft touch were infact hard plastic. I noticed the door panels did have quite a bit of soft touch materials but it felt really cheap as opposed to a higher end luxury feel. The dash was entirely plastic and the nav screen looked washed out.

I know RAM really upped the game in regards to what a truck intior should look like, but the quality really isnt there.

I can honeslty say that my Super Duty interior appears to be made out of higher quality materials and looks nicer in comparison. Ford really did a great job laying out sll tye controls and buttons in a much more user friendly fashion.
Sounds like your friend left all his recall letters off the truck tour. All the recalls, NHSTA fines, water leaks in the cabs, CEL's, poor quality welds on the front suspension (another recall), dead pedal/lack luster performance, assembled south of the border, 68RFE transmission woes, Ram owned by Fiat is enough for me!

Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Sounds like your friend left all his recall letters off the truck tour. All the recalls, NHSTA fines, water leaks in the cabs, CEL's, poor quality welds on the front suspension (another recall), dead pedal/lack luster performance, assembled south of the border, 68RFE transmission woes, Ram owned by Fiat is enough for me!
He didnt need to include them, i give him enough crap about them all as they are released.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:29 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
, there was not enough headroom for me with a power sunroof....my head was rubbing the roof without a hat or cap on!
Last time I sat in a Ram, had this same experience. Thought the seat was adjusted weird but it was not. Who ever heard of a truck with poor head-room? If you are over 6' tall, good luck with the Fiat.

I know the Ram is the best vehicle Fiat has ever built but that was not a high hurdle.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:31 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
I am 6'. I have the same amount of headroom as I did in my Ford. This thread is starting to get pretty entertaining

Old 11-28-2015, 05:00 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Does your truck have a sunroof? The non-sunroof Fiat trucks that I sat in were fine, the two with a sunroofs, I had issues. 6' 4" here.

Love my sunroof and hope to never own another truck without one. (I know that some don't like them. That's why they are an option.)

bruce...

Old 11-28-2015, 05:10 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
My Ford had a sun roof and so does my Ram. There may be a difference if you pull out a micrometer, but I notice nothing after owning for a couple thousand miles of driving the Ram. I had 89k in the Ford. There had to be something in the seat adjustment.

Quick Reply: RAM Interior vs Super Duty