1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Selecting Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 PM
JDubya88
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Selecting Tonneau Cover

Hello everyone. I am trying to decide on what tonneau cover to choose for my new truck. I have never had a tonneau cover on any of my previous trucks so they are pretty new to me. From my research, I have found that the tri-fold style cover would probably work best for my needs. So I have narrowed it down to the following options:

1) Bakflip F1
2) Extang Solidfold

These are both similarly priced so I am looking for opinions or experience with each one. However, I am not locked into just these two options so if you have another recommendation please let me know. Thanks!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the Ford hard folding tonneau, which is basically the Bakflip F1 rebadged with the Ford logo.

I've had fiberglass painted tonneaus, roll-top tonneaus, soft tonneaus, and now this. Out of all of them, this folding tonneau is by far my favorite. It offers way more flexibility. One issue I had with the roll-up hard tonneau is that the lock was on the top and always froze in winter. This cover has everything underneath so you drop the tailgate to access the release cable.... nothing to freeze and get stuck.

It's also nice that it props up against the cab of the truck so I can use the entire bed. There's also a thumb screw on each side so in about 30 seconds the cover can pop out of the bed completely if needed without having to unbolt the rails.

Anyway, that's my review. Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:18 AM
deadbug
Senior User
I had a bakflip and really liked it, a bit pricey but as usual you get what you pay for especially in tonneau covers. very easy to install!

Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
x2 for Bakflip

I have a Backflip and it is hands down better than a standard Tono.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:34 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I always liked to roll up myself. Completely out of the way when not in use. I have a cheap folding cover now, $50 on craigslist.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:43 PM
FDNY13
Junior User
I'm very satisfied with the BAKFlip F1 also. I also went with the optional/additional BAKBox 2 Toolbox to store the basics out of the cab. (bungees, ratchet straps, bottle jack, tow strap, ball mount, etc.) Well constructed, versatile, and looks good too.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:29 PM
madscientist
Senior User
Extang is a pretty solid company to do business with. If you have any problems, they will stand behind their products!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
B_A_S_6_9
Freshman User
ive had my cover from Pace Edwards since the truck was new. I have the Jackrabbit cover.

http://www.pace-edwards.com/jackrabbit

Old 11-30-2015, 05:23 AM
JDubya88
Junior User
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think I'm leaning toward the Bakflip F1 right now because I've hardly run across any bad reviews so far. Also, the Bakflip allows me to still have use of the stake pockets on the bed rails. I found a place that will sell it to me for $835 shipped to my door. It is an authorized seller so I shouldn't have any warranty problems.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:43 AM
JDubya88
Junior User
Has anyone had any experience with Bak's new Revolver X2 cover? It is a hard roll up cover that seems to be really nice and similarly priced to the F1. I'm just wondering how leakproof it is and how the vinyl cover holds up to the sun? Thanks everyone.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
-dave-
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDubya88
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think I'm leaning toward the Bakflip F1 right now because I've hardly run across any bad reviews so far. Also, the Bakflip allows me to still have use of the stake pockets on the bed rails. I found a place that will sell it to me for $835 shipped to my door. It is an authorized seller so I shouldn't have any warranty problems.
Good price. Where?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
JDubya88
Junior User
Originally Posted by -dave-
Good price. Where?
https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/bakflip/bakflip.html

Either call them or use their chat feature and ask for their best price on whichever model you are looking at. Talk to Morrie. Quoted for a Fibermax for $749 too.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 AM
jimalbert
Junior User
I would strongly consider a roll up like the Access tonneau I have. I was going to go with a tri fold flip but a friend of mine has one and I love the fact that I can just roll my cover up, fasten it, and I have a whole bed worth of storage without removing anything.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM
JDubya88
Junior User
Originally Posted by jimalbert
I would strongly consider a roll up like the Access tonneau I have. I was going to go with a tri fold flip but a friend of mine has one and I love the fact that I can just roll my cover up, fasten it, and I have a whole bed worth of storage without removing anything.
I was considering the roll up hard cover that Bak makes, the Revolver X2. But I've read some reviews that say it freezes and can't roll up in the winter and also that the vinyl cover starts to crack from sun exposure allowing the cover to leak from the hinges.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
jimalbert
Junior User
For what its worth, my access has been great. The velcro is awesome and there is a cam mechanism that you engage that stretches the cover the length of the bed, then all you have to do is run your hand down each side to attach the cover to the bed frame. stretch adjustments on the left and right side looking at the cab from the tailgate are done with adjustment ***** on either side of the inside of the bed via wing nut type fasteners that you can turn by hand.

With that being said, since day one I have treated my vinyl cover with Wolfsteins. I read an article on autogeekonline about it and it works fantastic. My cover looks better than it did coming out of the box from the factory. Here are the links to the article and product.

http://www.accesscover.com/original/

How To: Properly Clean & Protect a Tonneau Cover - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

www.wolfsteins.com

Just my .02

Jim

Quick Reply: Help Selecting Tonneau Cover