6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cold truck starts, dies immediately... then crank no start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:15 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So the shop *THINKS* it's the engine harness. They're saying the wear and tear on it is causing the intermittent problems. They're quoting $700 for the harness and 5 hours. I'm thinking no way in hell. She's running now so I'm going to go get it and make the trip before my wife makes me rent an SUV to go see her parents.

Wish me luck!

Old 11-25-2015, 04:36 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
So the shop *THINKS* it's the engine harness. They're saying the wear and tear on it is causing the intermittent problems. They're quoting $700 for the harness and 5 hours. I'm thinking no way in hell. She's running now so I'm going to go get it and make the trip before my wife makes me rent an SUV to go see her parents.

Wish me luck!
If nothing else, check the pigtails for the ICP and IPR......I replaced my ICP and didn't get one of the wires for the pigtail on correctly, ended up doing it over.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:41 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by navistarnut
If nothing else, check the pigtails for the ICP and IPR......I replaced my ICP and didn't get one of the wires for the pigtail on correctly, ended up doing it over.
Yeah, I've done the ICP pigtail already... it may very well be time to do the IPR over again. I just made the 11 hour trip with no problems... truck's running great. It'll be interesting to see whether it starts in the morning or not.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Well, five hours later I hopped in and she started right up and is purring again. The EOT was still over 100 so it could just be that it hasn't sat long enough. I'll try again later tonight and see if it's still happy.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:42 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Sweet

If it does act up again check the ICP and IPR wires out give them a wiggle

Old 12-05-2015, 08:06 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Guess who?!

Truck ran great for a week and fired right up this morning... made it about 50' and shut off. Now crank no start with a P2290 ICP too low engine cranking code.

Tried unplugging the ICP, no dice.

When cranking the ICP gets to about 150 and then starts falling. IPR hangs at 77.8. I guess I'm going to go try another ICP because that's about the extent of my mechanical ability... I'm not overly comfortable pulling the turbo and trying to get to the IPR to check it unless it's really easy and I just don't know it.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:21 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Guess who?!

Truck ran great for a week and fired right up this morning... made it about 50' and shut off. Now crank no start with a P2290 ICP too low engine cranking code.

Tried unplugging the ICP, no dice.

When cranking the ICP gets to about 150 and then starts falling. IPR hangs at 77.8. I guess I'm going to go try another ICP because that's about the extent of my mechanical ability... I'm not overly comfortable pulling the turbo and trying to get to the IPR to check it unless it's really easy and I just don't know it.
If you can pull the air box, degas and the FICM you can get at the IPR, no need to take the turbo out my friend. You will need the special socket for the IPR though if you don't have it. Most well known chains will carry it. It takes a little patience but it is doable and the turbo stays put.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Well it wasn't the ICP, but we all knew that already. I guess I'll take a good look at the IPR pigtail next. Thanks for the advice and the link!

Old 12-05-2015, 11:31 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
I managed to get the degas bottle off (of course I also managed to break the $65 Y-pipe), and the FICM out (I'm never going to get those back bolts back in) but I can't for the life of me find the IPR. I see the injectors and I see a weird looking cable that appears to be wrapped in tin foil behind them, is that the dude I'm looking for?

Old 12-05-2015, 05:41 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
I managed to get the degas bottle off (of course I also managed to break the $65 Y-pipe), and the FICM out (I'm never going to get those back bolts back in) but I can't for the life of me find the IPR. I see the injectors and I see a weird looking cable that appears to be wrapped in tin foil behind them, is that the dude I'm looking for?
Did you ever find the IPR? Your probably seeing the heat shield wire wrap. The IPR will have a 90 degree plug going into it from the top, with a little wire clip that you just push forward to loosen the plug.
It's under the turbo area, just above the ICP.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:57 AM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Did you ever find the IPR? Your probably seeing the heat shield wire wrap. The IPR will have a 90 degree plug going into it from the top, with a little wire clip that you just push forward to loosen the plug.
It's under the turbo area, just above the ICP.
I didn't, no, I got disgusted with breaking the overflow pipe and we had plans to go somewhere so I walked away before I hurt myself.

I'm planning on going back out now and seeing if I can find it. I'm really just looking for the pigtail condition as the IPR valve itself was changed within the last three months.

I have a late 04, so my ICP is on the passenger valve cover.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:05 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Boy there really is no rhyme or reason to the engines they put in the Ex's. I have read of guys that have an 05 with early and late build, and you with an 04, late build. Did they just grab whatever they had their hands on for the Ex's on the assembly line?

The pigtail will be the only thing going back down that direction I would think unless an Ex is different? Since you don't have an ICP under the IPR...........

Old 12-07-2015, 03:02 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting the back bolts back in on the FICM is just a matter of doing it by feel. Grab a 1/4" drive ratchet, take a deep breath, and have at it. It's not as bad as you think.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:22 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Well while I was at Ford getting my overflow pipe, I talked to one of the service managers that I've dealt with over the years. We went through all the issues I've been having and his ears perked up when I told him the other shop had theorized that it was the engine harness giving me fits. He told me it could very well be the case and he had a customer who had a very similar problem recently and they were swapping parts left and right until they found out it was an intermittent short in the wiring harness.

I'm going to put it all back together (with my new $65 hose... sigh) and see if it starts. If not, I'll wiggle the harness going into the PCM to see if it'll start.

I've been experiencing really weird issues that are VERY similar with this truck for almost six months now... it'll be interesting to see whether or not it ends up being the harness.

Quick Reply: Cold truck starts, dies immediately... then crank no start.