6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Possibly buying my first 6.0 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly buying my first 6.0 this weekend

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm headed up to Knoxville TN from SC this weekend to look at buying an 07' 6.0. The pic below is my current truck, 2004 250 xlt 5.4 gasser. I've had it for 2 years and have had virtually zero problems out of it. My wife and I just had our first baby & I want to pickup a CC and have always wanted to play alittle with a diesel.

I've done hours of reading on here in the past and more recently about the 6.0's and their inherent "quirks" but they are things I could work through. I do all my own "stunts" on my cars

Here's the truck I'm looking at: Cars for Sale: 2007 Ford F350 Lariat in KNOXVILLE, TN 37922: Truck Details - 413833747 - Autotrader

I'm not a huge fan of the red but its the closest to my truck I can find with the black bumpers and interior etc. Just want to get your opinions and thoughts on it. The price is way to high for me, but the dealership has been reasonable thus far so I'm going to see what I can work out.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
a little it on the expensive side, in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Yeah I agree, but I thought I would still go check it out, couldn't hurt. What do you think it's worth or what would you pay?

It seems like the price for these trucks has gone up significantly since I last looked 2 years ago when I bought my gasser. Especially a clean unmolested 7.3, good lordy

Old 11-20-2015, 05:20 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Run it thru Edmunds and KBB and try splitting the diff. with them.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:09 PM
FL SuperDuty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't want to pay more than 20k, here's one with less miles same year for 18 http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5319265021.html
if you can, bring someone who will help you look it over who knows a lot about the 6.0. The dealer probably won't know anything, and will deny that the 6.0 has any problems at all lol. I see some bulletproofed 6.0s for a lot less than 25 . I bought my 05 with 275k miles for 10k. Did head studs egr delete oil cooler costed about 4500, truck has 327k on it now runs like a raped ape

Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
X2 I would check it out too, I agree with everyone here the price is a little high.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:21 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
This is exactly what I do and usually works well for me if selling or buying something. I tend to lean towards Edmunds, KBB at times has pie in the sky figures, but overall it works to look at both.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check out edmunds. I've been comparing kbb and nada guides.

A good friend of mine is a mechanic on heavy equip and works on 7.3 trucks, has two himself. He told me alot of what to look for specifically on diesels, I'm very familiar with the normal items. But he's lending me his scan tool so I can check for any pending codes.

I'll keep you posted after I look at it. I hope to be able to contribute to the community if I get it and start working on it!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
I didn't pay that much for a lifted Harley Davidson edition and I had only 86k when I bought it a year ago for 23k fully loaded with sun roof

Old 11-20-2015, 11:09 PM
380tommy
Junior User
I am going to look at a 6.0 over Thanksgiving. I hear you on the reading part, I have been on this site every night for the past week but I've loved every second of it. I am learning a ton about these motors and I went from very leary to extremely excited. I have loaded the Torque app on an Android tablet and plan to use that to check vitals to help me make my decision.
This is a great site to get all the info you need and a bunch of friendly helpful people. I know I have asked questions that have been asked a thousand times and nobody has once given me the standard "go search" answer.
Good luck this weekend, hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Well I checked out the truck today and I absolutely loved it!! But here's what I found after driving it and crawling underneath....... I'm not an expert on the 6.0 but I know enough about cars and have read enough on here to know that indicates more than likely head gaskets. Or egr cooler?

Old 11-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
yes, egr cooler or headgaskets. And for a cooler to get to that state, you can bet your butt that the oil cooler is toast aswell. Being the price is high already, talking them down 5-6k for the fixing still isn't even worth it. This is an 8000$ truck as it sits

Old 11-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Coolant level is too high, that alone will make one puke. Pay careful attention to the yellow sticker on the degass bottle. Maybe even hit it a touch (1/8 in) low if it's stone cold. Cap looks new but may be worth a shot ($12) if it still vents. Get the level down and re-test. Shocks look like the original Rancho's, if it's a bit bouncy they are likely tired.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Coolant level is too high, that alone will make one puke. Pay careful attention to the yellow sticker on the degass bottle. Maybe even hit it a touch (1/8 in) low if it's stone cold. Cap looks new but may be worth a shot ($12) if it still vents. Get the level down and re-test. Shocks look like the original Rancho's, if it's a bit bouncy they are likely tired.
My thought was coolant level too. But the coolant bottle, radiator hoses, and cap are all brand new. They were replaced by them. Why would a ford dealer replace all of those??? My thought is they were chasing a leak......

The coolant was also green.....

And from the looks of it there used to be a coolant filter that was to the left of the radiator because there was a bracket there but no filter housing.. But besides that the truck honestly drove great! The dealer said they are going to have another look at it tomorrow and call me with what they find.

One question, the only way I've seen to test this is to put a pressure gauge on a hose in line with the smaller hose from the reservoir bottle to the radiator. Then look for spikes in pressure above 16 psi while getting the truck in boost. Or is there a better way?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:45 PM
PA_Robert
Freshman User
Keep looking. Plenty 6.0's out there. Get yourself an OBD2 adapter and the torque pro app when checking a vehicle out. Besides the visual, the engine vitals are critical to see.

I looked for a while. I was scared of the 6.0 and I read a lot about the legendary 7.3's. The decent 7.3's in the configuration I was looking for were way overpriced. After reading endless information about the 6.0, I decided I'll give a 6.0 a try.

I couldn't be happier with my truck.

I ended up with the truck in my sig for $13k..it's an XLT with 113K miles, but that's just a baseline. lariats and special editions would be more.

I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. If I had to drop $5k on a stud and upgrade job, I would still only be at $18k. And.. I'd know I have a truck good for another few hundred thousand.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying my first 6.0 this weekend