1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Backup camera

Does anyone have an aftermarket backup camera installed that has the image viewable through an aftermarket radio? I asked SANTA for a radio and backup camera for Xmas, but do NOT want another monitor on my dash nor a crappy image through a replacement rear view mirror.

I have an '04 so it does not have all the fancies!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 AM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
Does anyone have an aftermarket backup camera installed that has the image viewable through an aftermarket radio? I asked SANTA for a radio and backup camera for Xmas, but do NOT want another monitor on my dash nor a crappy image through a replacement rear view mirror.

I have an '04 so it does not have all the fancies!
I have the factory back-up camera that displays on the rear view mirror, but I also have back-up cameras mounted at the top of my topper and my truck camper that connect to my Pioneer AVIC-8000 NEX navigation system via a plug that I have at the back of the truck bed. I installed the Pioneer in place of the factory stereo and they work great. A cool thing about them is that I can either only have them come one when the trucks in reverse, or I can turn them on so they're on all the time so I can watch over the 4 wheelers on my trailer while going down the road. When I have the truck camper on the truck of course I have to remove the tail gate and by doing so I loose the factory camera, so what I did was to buy another Pioneer camera and a factory harness (the one that goes into the tailgate) and I wired it up to the pioneer camera which I mounted on the underside of the camper which just plugs into the existing connector by the spare tire. I have this pointing to the trailer hitch and I use it while backing up to the trailer to hook up the hitch, it works great.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm sure a ton of people do. I think most aftermarket double din decks are wired for a backup camera nowadays.

I've been researching this for quite awhile and am about to pull the pin on an android offshore double din head unit. The 'carjoying' one is the brand I'm looking at. Affordable and lots of functionality.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I bought a used pioneer that was out of another 2005 f350 so it plugged right into mine. I bought a backup cameria from Amazon for under $20. It works fine but I had to run an rca cable to the radio ftom the tailgate
The cable that came with the camera was too short so I had add about 6 foot to it.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:48 PM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Pioneer AVH4000-NEX radio with the Pioneer ND-BC6 backup camera hooked up to it.

Good things (just related to the backup camera):
-turns on automatically when I go into reverse
-nice wide angle lens
-good image both during the day and night. At night in particular, it shows what's behind me more clearly than the mirrors or even looking out an open window

Bad things:
-something causes the image to momentarily reset after 2 seconds [so you shift into reverse, 2 seconds later the image will go blank, then return, after that it's fine indefinitely]. Of course, it always happens just as I am trying to get the distance right to hook up a trailer.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I called a local audio shop and they said they have what I am looking for and will do all the install. I just have to take the truck by to get an estimate. Probably gonna lose my shirt!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM
noober0x
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Carjoying system. Works well, $300 for everything but you have to be a tad bit experienced in wiring your truck. Pre-wired for a backup camera. They included one in mine but I opted for a licence plate frame version. Has great sound, GPS, full Google maps (leeches off your data but it's minimal) Um... A couple bugs here and there but nothing major. Install will take you about 3 hours start to finish. Took me much longer because I had to keep buying tools and they didn't have the harness I needed for my truck so I had to build one. Soldered it.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Cool. Looks just like the one I'm wanting to order. When you mention a 'couple of bugs here and there'. Do you mean in how it operates or just with the install? If it's with the operation would you mind giving an example or two of what you mean?

Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
madsonp
If you do this I suggest you buy a system from a good quality manufacturer such as Pioneer, Kenwood etc. You'll be much better off in the long run. I myself prefer Pioneer, I've had very good experiences with them and won't buy anything else.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:54 AM
noober0x
Senior User
Installation is a breeze. You could seriously do it with minimal youtube-ing.

It's the software that has the issues.

The two I've noticed:

Volume **** won't work in certain rare instance when Google maps is navigating. When it's just open, it won't have an issue, but when the lady dims down the music to talk, she has an issue.

The microphone setup is pretty lousy. It's plug and play, yes, but the actual control board and stuff for the mic and input audio is lacking. Have to yell for people to hear me. They say a firmware update in the future will fix this.

In my particular situation the included front view dvr usb camera doesn't focus right. Still working on that. A replacement camera does work (sort of... Need one with manual focus) so just chock this one up to cheap Chinese $2 junk for the camera.

A couple smaller, probably not noticeable quirks here and there that almost never show up, but that's about it.

If they quote you anything over $500, I'd say tackle the job yourself. You'll never learn how to do it if you don't try.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Noober0x do you run the torque app at all? Thanks for the response to my inquiries.

Madsonp, if you never try anything else how will you know one is superior than the other? I've had many different stereo setups over the years, always a major brand like pioneer, ken wood, or alpine. I can't get past the pricing and functionality difference though between the big players and these new android devices. I'm going to try one I think and put it in my '03 before deciding what to do in the '11.

Diamnd1. Best of luck with what you decide but remember installing a stereo is quite easy but if you aren't familiar with it it can be easy to waste a lot of time and have a sub-par install that won't last or even worse cause electrical gremlins. Like all things automotive there are good and poor 'pro' installers out there. Ask lots of questions about what/how they're going to do it so there are no surprises.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
I bought a.. pioneer. I bought a backup cameria from Amazon for under $20. It works fine but I had to run an rca cable to the radio ftom the tailgate
The cable that came with the camera was too short so I had add about 6 foot to it.
this exactly. had a Koolertron camera from Amazon that pleasantly surprised me on how well it worked, hooked up to a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD in my F-350. had less than $280 into the whole setup new.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 AM
noober0x
Senior User
In runs torque just fine, though I think my ECU needs an update because it never does get my engine temperature quite right. Always says my engine is running at -40*C

Pretty sure I'm in the area of rivaling Antarctica at that point.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 AM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Squisher
Noober0x do you run the torque app at all? Thanks for the response to my inquiries.

Madsonp, if you never try anything else how will you know one is superior than the other? I've had many different stereo setups over the years, always a major brand like pioneer, ken wood, or alpine. I can't get past the pricing and functionality difference though between the big players and these new android devices. I'm going to try one I think and put it in my '03 before deciding what to do in the '11.
I know this from experience and reading forums such as this and other car stereo forums. Don't say I didn't warn you. As NooberOx pointed out, he's already having issues with his. There's a lot of truth to the saying "you get what you pay for"

Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 AM
noober0x
Senior User
Without a doubt there's the sense of "you get what you pay for" but I did a lot of research on this and had a specific goal in mind. I wanted full android in my car. Not many systems that can provide that. But for what it provides and the benefits given its worth the quirks.

Quick Reply: Backup camera