1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Question for the California guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Question for the California guys

looking at a 1948 ford F6 truck on Craigslist, seller says clean title.

anyone know the logistics of registration, licensing, and insurance for this 2 Ton 14,000–16,000 GVWR play toy?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:13 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
All depends on what State the truck is registered in...in CA a "clean title" without current registration or a valid non-op status doesn't mean much. If the DMV has purged it from its records (happens after 7 yrs of non-registration) then you are starting from scratch...a bill of sale is just as good as an out-of-date title. A truck that size will need an inspection and a weight slip from a registered weigh station.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
looking at the pictures its got Colorado historical plates, but its sitting in SoCal.

its under 26k GVWR so my Class C is good there, weight cert is no biggie... i guess my main question is insurance... more or less simple to get? likely not tooo expensive?

judging by the problems i am having with my insurance broker getting me a quote for minimum coverage on a pile of junk 77 el camino, i might need better insurance agent. they are the reason im asking this question.

on another thought, might be worth getting in touch with local chapter members of the AHTS and see what they got to say... might save me some headache.

sorry if i have no real direction in my questions or ideas here....

Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are looking at THIS 1948 ford f 6 series truck, it is NOT an F6. Looks to be an F7 or F8.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:00 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
yeah that's the one i was eyeing.... i am trying to get rid of this 77 elCamino (stupid gutless CA smog caruck) and get into a first gen f series. F1's seem to get a good penny, and i kinda want to drop a cummins 6bt into something so a larger truck would be nice. i am keeping my eye out for a 48-50 truck, the larger trucks don't bother me to drive or work on... but paperwork does! haha

Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I received my F3 it had a "clean ND title." To start the registration process for a Ca title I had to have an inspection form completed https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...7-3d970b8ea1a4. This is to be done by your local police who MAY refer you to the CHP for inspection. I called my local station and they wanted an appointment, for me to drive the vehicle (NOT going to happen since it didn't have brakes, seized engine, etc), and PAY A FEE for service!?! Where does my tax money go again? Luckily I was discussing with a friend of mine whose father was retired law officer and classic car enthusiast who did it for free! Once this is done, I took the completed form, proof of insurance, and ND title to the DMV for registration. They will issue it current plates. I had no problem insuring the truck, and would assume the larger F6/7/8 wouldn't be either.

For correct YOM plates it's an expensive and multiple trip to the DMV process... the plates for that 48 need to be com plates, and be sure the plates are DMV CLEAR before you purchase them. Meaning the DMV has no record of that plate number! Be ready to do some searching and $$ for a PAIR of clear Ca Com plates. I think I paid 800 for mine two years ago https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch21/ch21_36

Hope that helps

Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldBlackCat
yeah that's the one i was eyeing.... i am trying to get rid of this 77 elCamino (stupid gutless CA smog caruck) and get into a first gen f series. F1's seem to get a good penny, and i kinda want to drop a cummins 6bt into something so a larger truck would be nice. i am keeping my eye out for a 48-50 truck, the larger trucks don't bother me to drive or work on... but paperwork does! haha
Like I said, that is either an F7 GVWR 19,000 (2 1/2 Ton)
or and F8 GVWR 22,000 (3 ton)
That's a lot bigger truck than an F1 or an F6
If the selller says it is an F6 and he has a title for an F6, I would be very leery. If you look at this truck make sure the serial number stamped in the FRAME (passenger side near motor mount) matches the title, the serial number should start with 89E (if it's a 48)

Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brian~50F3
When I received my F3 it had a "clean ND title." To start the registration process for a Ca title I had to have an inspection form completed https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...7-3d970b8ea1a4. This is to be done by your local police who MAY refer you to the CHP for inspection. I called my local station and they wanted an appointment, for me to drive the vehicle (NOT going to happen since it didn't have brakes, seized engine, etc), and PAY A FEE for service!?! Where does my tax money go again? Luckily I was discussing with a friend of mine whose father was retired law officer and classic car enthusiast who did it for free! Once this is done, I took the completed form, proof of insurance, and ND title to the DMV for registration. They will issue it current plates. I had no problem insuring the truck, and would assume the larger F6/7/8 wouldn't be either.

For correct YOM plates it's an expensive and multiple trip to the DMV process... the plates for that 48 need to be com plates, and be sure the plates are DMV CLEAR before you purchase them. Meaning the DMV has no record of that plate number! Be ready to do some searching and $$ for a PAIR of clear Ca Com plates. I think I paid 800 for mine two years ago https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...k/ch21/ch21_36

Hope that helps
To add to this discussion...do NOT go to the DMV for VIN verification. Not only is it a long and tedious process but they will deny you verification if there is no engine/driveline in place. No written law to support this, just DMV policy. What they are really doing is forcing you to comply with current smog policy even though your vehicle does not fall into the years where it should be compliant. I am not sure where the local DMV services offices are in your local area but seek one out and use it. They can verify your vehicle and, if you like, take all the paperwork to the DMV and have it back to you the next day or sooner. I took a 55 Chevy 3100 truck to the local DMV to be VIN verified...they wouldn't do it because the truck did not have an engine or transmission. I took the same truck directly to my local DMV services office and they verified it, filled out the transfer documentation, took it to the DMV, and I had my registration AND new tags waiting for me at their office by 4:30 that afternoon. $75 well-spent in my book!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
To add to this discussion...do NOT go to the DMV for VIN verification. Not only is it a long and tedious process but they will deny you verification if there is no engine/driveline in place. No written law to support this, just DMV policy. What they are really doing is forcing you to comply with current smog policy even though your vehicle does not fall into the years where it should be compliant. I am not sure where the local DMV services offices are in your local area but seek one out and use it. They can verify your vehicle and, if you like, take all the paperwork to the DMV and have it back to you the next day or sooner. I took a 55 Chevy 3100 truck to the local DMV to be VIN verified...they wouldn't do it because the truck did not have an engine or transmission. I took the same truck directly to my local DMV services office and they verified it, filled out the transfer documentation, took it to the DMV, and I had my registration AND new tags waiting for me at their office by 4:30 that afternoon. $75 well-spent in my book!
I used this the same way I paid a little more and took a week but was worth it cal dmv over reaches the law its big gov taking care of you

Old 11-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Originally Posted by schoo
I used this the same way I paid a little more and took a week but was worth it cal dmv over reaches the law its big gov taking care of you
Man, I wish I had known that! Would have saved so much time and back/forth! Next time...

Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
The gal that I used to use was a retired DMV clerk...spent 35+ yrs at the DMV so she knew that organization inside out. She filled out the forms exactly the way they needed to be done and I never had an issue when I took them in. Unfortunately she retired from her "second career" but then I found the DMV services office in Lakeside and they are even better since they take all the paperwork into the DMV for me. I was a member of AAA and they are just DMV clones, never again.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes the gal I used came to the shop cked the vin cked my papers done
Better than AAA

Old 11-17-2015, 06:37 PM
jmerson
Senior User

The license will be a little pricey as well. Just got my notice from CA DMV today and it's $575 for a 1967 Intl. 1 1/2 ton truck that I use about once or twice a year to haul junk to the dump.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jmerson
The license will be a little pricey as well. Just got my notice from CA DMV today and it's $575 for a 1967 Intl. 1 1/2 ton truck that I use about once or twice a year to haul junk to the dump.
Now don't complain. The state's going bankrupt so they need that extra $400 from you to keep feeding the illegals.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:01 AM
544tess
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmerson
Wow $575!

Is it because of commercial plates and the weight?

Quick Reply: Question for the California guys