1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

lower felt wipes and window u channel

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
lower felt wipes and window u channel

this is without a doubt the most frustrating thing I have done on the truck this far. how the heck do you get these things to fit in there?

I hammered the felt a little flatter and it just separated the bead from the felt. I formed the first u channel okay, the second one I thought was going fine but it pulled the bead out from the opposite corner that I was working on. the felts are pinched and hammered.

I have a good 5/8 gap except at the corners where all the beads cross, I don't know how to separate that more other then cutting the metal that holds the two sides of the door together.

at this point I basically need to buy all new felts and channel. I like the look of the stainless bead but is the black stuff way easier to install?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'll be watching as I'll be doing it soon. I hope you get it figured out.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Wish I had the answer for you. I'd rather sandblast naked than change the felt wipes. I got a set installed only half decent after I wrecked the first set.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-beltline.html

I've often thought of making the felts (whiskers) with the proper clips already attached in the correct locations. I bet I could sell all I could make.

I don't think your window track and beltline felts should cross like that. But I don't have experience with mid-50's. You should add your year, make and model to your signature.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did the lower felts as well, and mine turned out exactly like yours. I ended up chipping the new paint messing
with them, and now need to touch it up....Grrrrrr. Anyway, I spoke to Diane at Mid Fifty, she said that some guys seem
to like them and others have the same problem we had. They have another style, glue in style, they have all black, or with
ss trim. I ordered a set, and although I haven't installed them yet, I can see that they're going to work way better.
Part number for the lower felts is 1727, then you choose black or ss.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks Rusted, I think that may be the best option. I think I would use 27 clamps if I glued them but it sounds like the way to go IMO. This isn't a new problem at all. It's tricky even when things are right. The clips are not anchored in the trim that well and you are done before you start if the replacement felt clip location doesn't match your truck perfectly. Mine were off just enough to make it impossible. The flange inside your door better not be bent out or shape either. Check that before you wreck a clip.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Ross I got the one piece window kits from midfifty they came with the clips at the right place. There are no clip holes or clips for the vent window part. but its enough to hold it in place.

I am using the 3m glue instead of permetex they seem the same but the 3m is black so thats much nicer.

I talked to Diane too she seemed to think the non stainless bead was easier and that it was a black plastic. I was a little bummed she didn't have a package deal to get all new channel and wipes, its like 2/3s of the cost of the kit to buy those parts separate. I think they are pretty used to getting that call :/

Rusted 56 the new ones you got are they stainless or the black ones witch I think have no bead?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:40 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got one of the Mid Fifties kits too with the stainless trimmed glass channel. You are supposed to be able to slide the stainless, bend, then slide it back. I gave up after destroying one of them and bought some good quality 5/8" ones without the SS bead from Steele Rubber Products - Quality Crafted Automotive Rubber Parts and Weatherstripping
No problems at all and I actually prefer the all black, especially since I mangled the SS

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary E
this is without a doubt the most frustrating thing I have done on the truck this far. how the heck do you get these things to fit in there?

I hammered the felt a little flatter and it just separated the bead from the felt. I formed the first u channel okay, the second one I thought was going fine but it pulled the bead out from the opposite corner that I was working on. the felts are pinched and hammered.

I have a good 5/8 gap except at the corners where all the beads cross, I don't know how to separate that more other then cutting the metal that holds the two sides of the door together.

at this point I basically need to buy all new felts and channel. I like the look of the stainless bead but is the black stuff way easier to install?

It would have worked better if you flattened the bead more out from the U -Channel so it didn't take up so much room on the sides of the channel. I gently tapped my flat with a body hammer on the anvil part of my vise.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
I misunderstood and flattened the bead on the bottom parts and it separated.

It looks all together but the glass is way to tight as is.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:58 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
The beads on the wipes are what I'm referring to.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary E
Ross I got the one piece window kits from midfifty they came with the clips at the right place. There are no clip holes or clips for the vent window part. but its enough to hold it in place.

I am using the 3m glue instead of permetex they seem the same but the 3m is black so thats much nicer.

I talked to Diane too she seemed to think the non stainless bead was easier and that it was a black plastic. I was a little bummed she didn't have a package deal to get all new channel and wipes, its like 2/3s of the cost of the kit to buy those parts separate. I think they are pretty used to getting that call :/

Rusted 56 the new ones you got are they stainless or the black ones witch I think have no bead?
Hi Gary,

I got the black ones, for both the sweeps and the window channel. I don't want too much shiny stuff. Just be aware that the sweeps I got are straight, and you probably won't be able to
curve them up at the front and rear of the door. I'm ok with that, since the truck is black, and they will hopefully be hidden anyway. They
look like they come extra long, and you cut to fit.

I also found that the original sweeps I got had a gap between the door and the sweep as well, that I wasn't able to close up without glue or something. No criticism on
the quality of the product, far more likely that the flange the clips go in were bent, or the holes had gotten bigger than they should have been
over the years on my doors, but it seems to me that it just wasn't great engineering.

Diane did say that she had fielded this call more than once previously, but said that some guys were very happy with them, and others not.

Hopefully the other ones will work for you.

Cheers

Bruce

Old 11-17-2015, 05:05 AM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
I installed the stainless bead channel and felt strips from npd parts and very happy with them. Trick is to bend the channel to the window while its out of the truck to get the shape without deforming it. Then trim the felt strips with a pair of snips for a snug fit. None of that should be overlapping as it will bind the glass. Having a partner will help you.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Man, you just have to say the word "door fuzzies" and my skin starts turning green and I start bulking up real fast, and heaven help anyone standing nearby....
Excruciatingly frustrating. The door channels were likewise nightmarish at best.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just done this
I installed the U channel then trimmed the wipers so they don't overlap
The whole door assembly is a test of patience

Quick Reply: lower felt wipes and window u channel