6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 Long Term Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:53 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 Long Term Update

Hey Fellas,

I thought I'd poke my head in and say hello. It's been quite a while since I've contributed so I thought a long-term update is in order. My truck is an extremely early build (May 2010) and I took deliver first of June 2010. That makes it almost 5 1/2 years in my possession with only 70,000 miles. I still pull that heavy trailer (19,000 lbs) a few times a year over pretty challenging off-road terrain. I also drove the truck and trailer in a Pacific Northwest loop again and down through Arizona and New Mexico and back. There were many, many long pulls in 110 plus degree heat up long steep grades where the truck gave it's all for hours and hours at a time. Ne'er a hiccup. So here's the update:

Engine & Trans: Perfect. After the early noise on the HPFP, I was paranoid about fuel quality and started using fuel additive. That was a short-term deal and I haven't added anything for a long time. I check the water separator a couple of times a year and have yet to find a single droplet of water in the fuel. I do only fill up at higher volume stations so my take on fuel quality is that it is just fine as is. The engine and all related systems just motor along happily producing the awesome horse power and torque they are supposed to.

Titan Tank: Still loving it. One of the top mods that can be done to this truck.

Airlift wireless compressor & Firestone airbags: FAIL. Sometime last winter the manifold seized up and would not allow one side to deflate. Over about a week's time, the passenger bag reached 145 psi and the driver side was a cushy 15 psi. Way to go Firestone! The bags are only rated to 100 psi so that was a solid test! I cut the airlines from the manifold a year ago and haven't gotten back to fix/replace it. The airbags are just fine and have stayed at 85 psi.

Suspension/Shocks: Disappointing. This is my only real complaint with this truck. It has a steering wobble issue that my buddy's truck does not and he tows similar to me. It's easily fixed with replacement stabilizers but I've been through one set and ready to replace another. Shocks don't last either. I know what some of you are thinking, "Well what do you expect when your truck is 10,000 lbs and your trailer is 20,000?". I plead the fifth.

Challenging terrain: Dang amazing. Mud, snow and open sand dunes are no problem. I love being able to lock the rear and disable the traction control when needed. I have kept Toyo MT's on since new and really appreciate the performance even though they cost probably 2 mpgs.

On-board air compressor and tank: Still hilarious. Some might remember that in addition to the many practical benefits of on-board air, I also installed a couple of train horns. My kids and friends are constantly on the lookout for "victims" and it just never gets old. Yes, we have a criteria to apply before letting loose. No old or disabled, no moms and babies, no potential CCP holders or LEO types. And yes, the practical benefits are endless.

Interior/Exterior: Has held up really well. I still like the fit and finish of the Lariat. No squeaks, rattles or broken things. Truck is still shiny and looks great with the 2 inch level.

I would normally be thinking about replacing it by now but there is little motivation to do so. It still feels new-ish. Maybe when the 2017s come out?

So far so good.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Epic: I bought my 11 the same time as you. I just traded it for a 16 F250. I only ran mine to 48K. The experience over the last 5 yrs has been Flawless with the Truck. I installed a set of Bilstein 4600 Shocks, and New Tires at about 35K mi. The Michelins didn't last long on the 11, and now I have the same Tires on the 16. Good seeing you on here again. I was absent for awhile too........Lew..... PS Your videos are great

Old 11-12-2015, 02:19 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Holy... Epic is back. Long time... Great review...

Old 11-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome back Epic!! And that review was Epic too. I still remember using your how to videos to help me out with my maintenance... I too traded up to a 2015. I can understand why you wouldn't want to...

Glad you are still happy with your truck... You had such good luck with your early build 2011 I say go for the 2017 when it comes out and let us know the difference in the two beasts.

Take care.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:39 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,086 Likes on 2,220 Posts
Nice of you to post some long term thoughts Epic! You inspired a lot of mods with my former truck Glad to hear from you and hop all is well in your neck of the woods.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '11 is a May build too. Currently at about 55,000miles with no major issues. Had the tq converter replaced under warranty for a leak and the vacuum pump seal. Think that was it.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Michael53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Epic is back - at least for a quickie. Great to hear you are doing well, Epic. Your mods and videos were a huge help to me on my 2012 Lariat and most mods have carried through to my '15. Take Care
Mike

Old 11-12-2015, 03:43 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
I traded in my 2011 bought new Sept 2010. Had 125k when traded. A/C evaporator went at 80k Turbo went at 99500k. Power steering seals at 120k. Trans started clunking and shifting badly at 85 k or so..maybe 95 K..
I tow occasionally with a 2 place snowmachine trailer sometimes in winter on rural roads. And use the trailer often during the year to haul some lightweight furniture..
Glad I got rid of it..

Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Hey Epic! Good to hear from you and for the nice update. My May '10 build is at 77,000.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi Epic! As the others have said, nice to hear from you again. Great hearing the update. Happy the truck has treated you so well. I have a question though. Since you already have the Viair system on your truck, why not add the Firestone dual pneumatic gauge and use the Viair system to control your airbags? That's how I use mine and can inflate each bag independently to insure same pressure. Although you can get the single gauge which is cheaper, and fill both bags together.
Again, good hearing from you. And yes, you are the reason I have the Viair system in the first place.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
You still at the same place, I guess with all the stuff they have built, I don't look over as I drive buy to see the White & Red Fords parked in the parking lot.

I sold my 2011 Truck last March with 145,000 miles on it. It had run great and had no problems, It was just time to roll into a new one. I did have to replace the front bearing/hubs at 105,000 miles. I had the death wobble and the new hubs fixed that problem. I also had developed a coolant and oil leak on the back of the turbo, Fairly common on the early 2011s. So watch out for little drips coming down the back of your engine block.

That coolant that you and I got together and tested lasted until 105,000 miles when I had if flushed and refilled. Did you ever use up the rest of those test strips before they expired.

My new 2015 truck just turned 21,000 miles, Hasn't seen the dealer since I drove off the lot.

Good to hear from you.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:09 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,448 Likes on 894 Posts
Yes it's good to hear from Epic... I also agree about the Rancho 9000 shocks. For me they're a 20k mile shock at best....BTDT

Also my '12 Lariat at 80k miles has been repair free to date.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks everyone. It's great re-connecting with so many friends.

Monty - I need to look into those inflation valves. Kind of forgot about that option. The Airlift really is cool and worked great until it quit.

Here's a blurry pic of the truck with some seriously unbalanced airbags.

PH - I'm pretty sure I've driven past you a couple of times. No, I didn't use up all the strips. I completed that coolant service once and helped another friend with his. Interesting to hear that the new hubs fixed your wobble problem.

Deanne and I volunteered as cooks for girls camp this summer at Beaver Mountain. We took the trailer and parked in a spot that had asphalt and where we could actually plug in. Rode the XP all over the mountain when we didn't have aprons on and a serving spoon in hand. I have driven over that mountain to Bear Lake 50 times but never stopped on top. Glad we did.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Epic, thank you for the update on your truck and all your great videos !
I installed the Titan tank, thanks for the great help with that too, I love it and agree i'ts worth it.
Hope to see you around here again.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
That makes me a little nervous Epic, Since I installed the Airlift Wireless on my 2015 with the Firestone Air bags. I'll have to watch for that failure.

I had swapped out the front steering stabilizer and still had death wobble on certain radius curves. I could also hear a little grinding. So I lifted the front end up and discovered I had some play in the front wheels. So I ordered the parts. The OEM Ford hubs are expensive, But I found some aftermarket hubs and that were about half the price and put them on, They held up just fine for the 45,000 miles I put on them after swapping them out and it definitely fixed the death wobble. But I'm sure the fact that I had swapped out steering stabilizer and shocks before getting to the hubs helped.

Epic, Look for my Ruby Red with a BAK Tonneau and a LED light bar where the plate should be running around town and wave. Getting to be too many Superduties in town to just wave at a white one and hope it's you.

Troy, are not the Rancho 9000 lifetime warranty? If you are only getting 20,000 miles have you tried to collect on the warranty?

Quick Reply: 2011 Long Term Update