Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2003 Explorer v8 AWD binding on turns

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:19 AM
rjwoody57
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Explorer v8 AWD binding on turns

Greetings, I recently purchased a 2003 Eddie with V8 and AWD. On turns everything was binding making the turn almost impossible to take. The front hubs have been replaced and it now has four new tires. This helped a great deal as the Anti-lock sensors in the hubs were throwing a code and the bearings were shot. This made a difference but there is still some binding taking place. This truck is a daily driver so I need some help to know where to go from here. I pulled two fuses that were listed as "4wd v-batt" but this made no difference so I put the fuses back. My mechanics Snap-on modis computer doesn't find any codes at present, so we are confused. Nice vehicle, but this is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Does this vehicle have a switch to change between 4WD and AWD? These two things are not the same, in 4WD the t-case is locked so the drivetrain will bind when turning on packed surfaces, in AWD a viscous diff is engaged in the t-case which allows some slip between the front and the rear drive lines which is necessary for turning on packed or paved surfaces since the rear wheels follow a shorter arc than the front wheels.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 AM
jswford
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 98 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD that I just picked up a short time ago. I've had the same issues. My question is, is it binding, or does it feel like its binding or rubbing on something? I had issues mostly in parking lots. If you turned the wheel a bit it sounded like it was binding but you could turn the wheel easily. I sucked the power steering fluid out with one of those vacuum tools that looks like a grease gun and put some good synthetic ATF in it. It changed almost immediately for the better. After a few days I did it again and it is waaayy better than before. I did notice a slight shudder when turned all the way but it seems to be working itself out. I'll do it again later just to keep it fresh.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 AM
rjwoody57
New User
This a full time AWD without any switches to change modes. I plan to change the fluid in the transfer case and add a bottle of friction modifiers in order to allow the clutches to work. Receipts that came with my purchase showed that the transfer case was rebuilt about two years ago...whatever that means.

Hopefully the fluid change will correct the situation; I will let you know as soon as I have opportunity to do the work. Any other counsel would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your reply!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:50 AM
rjwoody57
New User
Originally Posted by jswford
I have a 98 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD that I just picked up a short time ago. I've had the same issues. My question is, is it binding, or does it feel like its binding or rubbing on something? I had issues mostly in parking lots. If you turned the wheel a bit it sounded like it was binding but you could turn the wheel easily. I sucked the power steering fluid out with one of those vacuum tools that looks like a grease gun and put some good synthetic ATF in it. It changed almost immediately for the better. After a few days I did it again and it is waaayy better than before. I did notice a slight shudder when turned all the way but it seems to be working itself out. I'll do it again later just to keep it fresh.
It is binding mostly in parking lot sharper turns. It really seems to be in the drive line, similar to the way my '92 4x4 Ranger would behave when only in four wheel drive with the hubs locked. I may take your advice on the power-steering flush as it certainly wouldn't hurt except for the pain in the wallet.
thanks for your reply!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 AM
jswford
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by rjwoody57
This a full time AWD without any switches to change modes. I plan to change the fluid in the transfer case and add a bottle of friction modifiers in order to allow the clutches to work. Receipts that came with my purchase showed that the transfer case was rebuilt about two years ago...whatever that means.

Hopefully the fluid change will correct the situation; I will let you know as soon as I have opportunity to do the work. Any other counsel would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your reply!
Unless your '03 is different than my '98,which could be, I don't think the transfer case requires the friction modifier. I think that only goes in the rear differential. I also did a drain and fill on the transfer case, which is why I had the vacuum tool. I got that to fill it back up. If you are sitting still and turn the wheel does it bind up? That would tell you if it is in the drive line or something else. Mine did it sitting still and turning. When moving it just seemed to magnify the problem.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:50 AM
rjwoody57
New User
Unless your '03 is different than my '98,which could be, I don't think the transfer case requires the friction modifier. I think that only goes in the rear differential. I also did a drain and fill on the transfer case, which is why I had the vacuum tool. I got that to fill it back up. If you are sitting still and turn the wheel does it bind up? That would tell you if it is in the drive line or something else. Mine did it sitting still and turning. When moving it just seemed to magnify the problem.
No, the steering works smoothly while sitting still, just while moving is there the resistance. Thanks again...that makes sense. The friction modifier was recommended to me yesterday by a Ford Mechanic. He showed it to me on a service bulletin on his computer.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:35 AM
jswford
Mountain Pass
did you get this figured out?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:18 AM
rjwoody57
New User
I hope to do the fluid change this week. It's been impossible up until this point to cut out some wrenching time for the Explorer.

Thanks for your attention...I will post the outcome soon.

Blessings,
Ron

Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
redfury
Senior User
Unless it calls for a friction modifier, you shouldn't put one in, and make sure you are using the correct fluid. Vicious couplings and transmissions want fluids with certain properties in order to work properly. The wrong fluid will cause problems. It's possible that someone added a friction modifier to the transfer case when it was "rebuilt" and that is what is causing the binding. You can always add a friction modifier later if straight fluid doesn't help.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 PM
rjwoody57
New User
Originally Posted by redfury
Unless it calls for a friction modifier, you shouldn't put one in, and make sure you are using the correct fluid. Vicious couplings and transmissions want fluids with certain properties in order to work properly. The wrong fluid will cause problems. It's possible that someone added a friction modifier to the transfer case when it was "rebuilt" and that is what is causing the binding. You can always add a friction modifier later if straight fluid doesn't help.
The owners manual doesn't give any information on what fluid or if friction modifiers are necessary for the AWD transfer case. We did drain the fluid from the transfer case and it was black. My mechanic commented that it should be red as ATF was the right fluid for the transfer case. He's a Ford guy so I pretty much trust his experience. We did put two quarts of ATF in with a tube of a friction modifer...it made a huge difference but it still binds; although not nearly as much as it did before. I sure would like to take tight turns in a parking lot without it binding. I'm planning on changing the oil in it again at the next engine service in about another 2000 miles.

So does anyone know for sure what specific fluid goes in this transfer case if not ATF?

Thanks so much for your input!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:33 PM
jswford
Mountain Pass
my owners manual says to use "Mercon ATF"...not Mercon V. I used this in mine: Valvoline? Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid : Product Catalog - Valvoline®

Old 12-19-2015, 09:13 PM
rjwoody57
New User
my owners manual says to use "Mercon ATF"...not Mercon V. I used this in mine: Valvoline? Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid : Product Catalog - Valvoline®
Excellent, that's what I'll use...thanks much!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:01 PM
redfury
Senior User
If the friction modifier isn't specified, don't use it when you change fluid again. All it's going to do is cause the internals to stick together better. You want some slippage in turns. The AWD system uses a clutch pack between the front and rear axle to allow the front to turn at a different speed than the back without binding. If it can't slip, it's going to bind. It works on a similar principle as the transmission.