1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F1 build - Pezsox

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 AM
pezsox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Yes, the long horn on the left side of the grille (right hand as you look at it) is the original. The others were added, And that is not even close to the original paint. The horn was originally black. You're seeing green overspray through the expanded metal grille/grating that was installed later.

The only thing holding the wheel bearings in the hubs is the grease seal. You can knock the entire business out of there with a small block of wood and a hammer. Place the wood block inside the hub from the outside end of the hub opening, where the little bearing goes, and use it as a punch to drive the seal out. The bearing will come with it. I have a handy piece of leftover oak trim about 1"x1"x12" I use for such an occasion. You don't have to get too crazy with beating on it. it should pop right off.
Thanks for your help! So punch from the outside towards the inside.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pezsox
By the way, I am still looking for a grill if anyone has an extra. When I purchased this truck someone had cut it straight down on both sides by the lights and put a piece of grating over the radiator.
pezsox i still have that grill i sent you pictures of if you need it.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Pezsox,
That grill is available after market if you want a new shiny one.
We got our's from Midwest Early Ford but I'm sure all the body parts suppliers have them as well.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-10-2016, 05:46 PM
pezsox
Senior User
since I have no posted in a long time, I figured I would update everyone on the status of my build. I like to tell people that I have absolutely zero knowledge of mechanics, but I listen and am never to proud to ask. This board has been amazing. I have finally gotten to a point that I am getting genuinely excited about moving forward. I have not had an physical help from anyone so far, so that is a little tough. I spend more time looking at my old pics I took, looking at this board, typing questions, and comparing old and new parts than I do actually installing. I wish Albuq F-1 was my neighbor!!! so here is where I am at to date. I need to install brake front brake lines, fuel lines, driveline, and transmission but... then I am out of parts until I put the cab on. So I feel good that all the parts I bought have a home on the truck. I had many pieces sandblasted, and powdercoated, and have spent a lot of time wire brushing and painting. I am going with the stock flathead 6, and leaving a patina look. I did have Van Pelt rebuild the transmission so I feel really excited to make it a stock truck. I wanted a cool "dark side" ride but I just couldn't do that to this complete no rust truck. So thanks for looking, and the job isn't done.

Attached Images        
Old 11-10-2016, 07:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Looks really pretty! I wish I could have taken that much care of my chassis, but doing a cab-off was just not in the cards. Are your springs sandblasted? or new?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:56 PM
pezsox
Senior User
I had them sandblasted, and re-arched. Everyone said not to paint between them so I haven't done anything yet. Not sure if I will paint the stack or what???

Old 11-10-2016, 08:13 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Chassis looks excellent!

I painted my 47 caddy leaf springs and used long teflon like plastic spring liners between the main leafs. No squeaking or other issues. My F1s have newer springs with the factory pads between the leafs so they didnt need the liners.

Name:  131.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  236.8 KB

Leaf Spring Liner with Lip, 2 Inch

Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Bartman1959
Senior User
Looks like you're doing great. It's awesome this is your first build and you're doing it all on your own. You're right, you learn tons from the guys on here. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:18 PM
pezsox
Senior User
slowly slowly slowly

well another post after a long lay off. I finally am to the point of getting the bottom of the cab cleaned up, and covered either with a rhino lining type material, or open to suggestions. Since I am doing this by myself, and have little or no room to work, I had to get inventive. I guess this was a good use for my heavy punching bag. I was shocked to see how clean it was on the underneath. The only issues are the bent sheet metal on the sides, and that is what I did when I strapped an engine puller around it to lift it off. I am not going to paint the truck, but I do want to cover everything that is exposed on the underside of the truck. Eventually under the wheel wells, and bed, etc.. I would love suggestions of the best material to use. Also, do these sandblasted leaf springs need to be painted? If so do you think just a clear coat would be fine, I kind of like the way they look in the natural state. Thanks

Attached Images      
Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you dont want to spray the rhino liner you can use herculiner with a textured roller. Not as durable but looks nice and works fine, comes in a gallon container. Springs will need something, you could wipe them down with oil to stop rust but it will attract dirt. I would paint them or clear them. Cab lift arms I would replace the the cast iron version.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:17 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice looking project

I just discovered your project thread, you are doing a great job for what you stated "limited experience. That truck is amazingly solid, can't believe the condition of your under bed floor. Hopefully you will give the underside a good buff with flapper wheels, prime it and then hit it with Rhino skin or similar.

Going to be keeping an eye on your project, glad you are going stock. I did not have that option. Envious

Note. I would take on a flathead rebuild....if I had Ross as a neighbour !

Last edited by tip49; 03-02-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
rusty48
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Pezsox,

Ran across your thread and am having a dejavu moment. Pretty much same place same time.

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM
pezsox
Senior User
we are definitely at about the same spot in the builds. I am going to cleanup the pedal assembly next, then I am going to at least get the cab bottom cleaned up so I can mount the cab. I am sick of having my garage taken up by 2 large items, hopefully pick up some working room once this cab is installed. Then...electrical. That should be a challenge. There is no way in hell I would ever try this again without this forum

Old 05-24-2017, 04:33 PM
pezsox
Senior User
Well I am finally moving on this truck again. I wish it was going faster, but I am sure we all have said that at a time or two. I was finally able to get the bottom of my cab cleaned and a few small holes repaired, I ended up painting with just the krylon bed coating paint, and remounted. After I did this, I completely stripped the interior. I removed the hood cowl vent, wipers, handles, glass, gauges, literally everything. I recently have purchased a new ez wiring harness and will be tackling that next. I am going to clean the interior and then decide if I want to paint it or leave it as is. I am leaving the exterior as the original patina. I tell you what, a cowl vent and wiper motor is not an easy job to get out. I was able to read an old post on getting the original door lock assembly out, I never would have found that small hole under the weatherstripping! another forum post that may have saved my marriage. Thanks for following. here are some pics.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:37 PM
pezsox
Senior User
updated pics

here are some updated pics of my recent work

Attached Images            

Quick Reply: 1948 F1 build - Pezsox