1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

installing fiberglass rear fenders by yourself

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
installing fiberglass rear fenders by yourself

or how to nail jello to a tree......

trying to set up my rear fenders to drill the mounting holes... I've got them 'about' where I 'think' they should go... but could use some backup

anyone with a tape that can give me a few measurements... what is marked in red in the attached pics

thanks
John

Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2015, 06:41 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I'll give you my vote in a bit John. Left something on and the battery went dead with the truck outside. I'll get it inside within a few hours and take some measurements.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:48 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
This may help....

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
F100 Rear Fender Bolt Grid.pdf (37.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 10-30-2015, 07:31 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some measurements that I took off my 53 f100 w/ steel fenders:
1) horizontal measure at the back along seam = 6 1/4" (to side of stake pocket)
2) vert. measure at the back = 6 1/2" (hard to nail down because the steel fender has some curves going on. I placed a piece of rigid board at the bottom of the fender and measured along a line close to what you drew on your photo.)
3) top of fender to bend in bed side =4 3/16"
4) along seam from stake pocket at the front 10 5/8"

There's a lot of slop built into the steel fender holes, so these numbers are probably going to vary by 1/8" - 1/4" from what others might come up with. But, combined with all those dimensions from CharlieLed, you should be getting close.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
My 'glass fenders had dimples on the flange face where the holes are supposed to be.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:14 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Fairlane didn't think of that, Ross

jvmcc... thanks for the numbers... I'll compare n the a.m.

Charlie, that some scientific stuff... be good to put holes in the bedside...

thanks
john

Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
Charlie, that some scientific stuff... be good to put holes in the bedside...

thanks
john
That's exactly why I made the chart...the bed sides had no holes and I needed placement data. Those measures are made from the inside of the bed placing the tape up against the header panel. I used the dimensions to drill the holes in this jig as well...

Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:21 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jvmcc
Here are some measurements that I took off my 53 f100 w/ steel fenders:
1) horizontal measure at the back along seam = 6 1/4" (to side of stake pocket)
2) vert. measure at the back = 6 1/2" (hard to nail down because the steel fender has some curves going on. I placed a piece of rigid board at the bottom of the fender and measured along a line close to what you drew on your photo.)
3) top of fender to bend in bed side =4 3/16"
4) along seam from stake pocket at the front 10 5/8"

There's a lot of slop built into the steel fender holes, so these numbers are probably going to vary by 1/8" - 1/4" from what others might come up with. But, combined with all those dimensions from CharlieLed, you should be getting close.
John

These measurements are close to mine. As he said precision measure is really tough, My fender is about 1/8" forward and 1/8+ higher. Everything on my truck is aftermarket steel. I use a very thin strip of rubber gasket between. fender and running board. in my case because I live in a northern (often cool and damp) environment and want the avoid paint abrasion at the seam where rust will occur eventually.

I would make it level and match the boards correctly. I'm gonna guess +/- 1/8" is within original Ford specs anyway. You're going to need a helper before you drill that first hole. Extra hands and clamps, then scribe a pencil mark. I would shoot for precision with a 5/6 hole. After it looks good open up the fender holes for some minor adjustment capability. Use larger washers and you are good.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:54 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
thanks yall... I think with these numbers I can get her to be a 50 foot looker. Dewayne... I've got them clamped now with 5 clamps... level might be a chore... there ain't a flat place on the fender.. it's all curves. Somebody should make a template you can tape to the fender to punch the holes... but, probably not a big market for that...

hmmm I was gonna get them right and mark them with a silver sharpie... then remove the fenders and drill them with some support under the flange.. I could make a template then... might do that I wish I knew how to get stuff to the internet in scale... that sure would make it easier to share...

and BTW De-wayne.... good to see you back on the site... watch for a pm

later
john

Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Yeah I suppose level might be a trick. I'd tell you to guage off the tire but that is not likely centered anyway. Maybe get it temp mounted to the R-board and dial in how far you want the rear to hang, then match both sides up. This is rodding so if you screw it up you can claim you did it on purpose.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
That's exactly why I made the chart...the bed sides had no holes and I needed placement data. Those measures are made from the inside of the bed placing the tape up against the header panel. I used the dimensions to drill the holes in this jig as well...
What color of blue are your fenders. Great color, I like.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:35 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
just went out and checked Johns numbers and I"m within 1/8" of his measurements...soon as I get a sunny day I'll push it out in the driveway and back away 50 feet or so and see how it looks... up close looks good but you can see the error from further away...

that is the way I did it D... hung it on the running board and wiggled it into place... if I had to do this for a living, I'd build me some fender racks/supports

later
john

Old 10-31-2015, 12:39 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 3golfjack
What color of blue are your fenders. Great color, I like.
I would never dream I would like a color in a soft pastel blue. Then I saw an Effie at a show in a very similar color and it was damn sharp looking.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:58 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
I would never dream I would like a color in a soft pastel blue. Then I saw an Effie at a show in a very similar color and it was damn sharp looking.
That's Funny! I have to call 4speed so he can see your post that you LIKE a soft pastel blue color. I seem to remember you making fun of the kid way back when..............

Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
That's Funny! I have to call 4speed so he can see your post that you LIKE a soft pastel blue color. I seem to remember you making fun of the kid way back when..............
I'd tell you I don't recall that but I suppose the search function still works so I better not.

And don't be acting like he was abused lol. I miss the little feller. How old is he now, 30? I do very clearly remember him getting sassy and John N telling him he had socks that were older than him.

Quick Reply: installing fiberglass rear fenders by yourself