6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Extended Warranty - Why is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty - Why is it needed?

So maybe I'm missing the point, but why do some say they wouldn't own the PSD without the extended warranty? I just got a 2016 F350 PSD. My paperwork says the diesel engine and components are covered for 5 years, 100,000 miles. What will the extra $4K get me? I know some things that wouldn't be covered are expensive, but if you have a deductible plus the $4K, you could replace a lot of items. If you get a lemon, I would think that would show itself in the initial bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

Don't flame me, I'm serious.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
It's not and I'll never buy one. Some people feel more comfortable with insurance. My way is to skip it on everything possible. If I added up all the extended warranties that I could have bought and NEVER needed, I could buy a new 6.7 with the proceeds.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have not bought an extended warranty for a LONG time. I do have the Geico MBI insurance adder.
It is very popular for some folks, but I have been lucky so far, knock on wood....
I take the best care I can of my rigs and do add PM22 fuel adder on every tank.
It is a personal choice.
Congrats on the new truck, we need pictures!
Pat

Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought them on my 05 psd and the wifes 06 Lexus. Both paid off in spades. Don't care who makes it, if you buy the upper end models there is just so much more to go wrong. It's like auto ins. Odds you won't need it but thank god when you do. Bought it on my 2015 psd. Hope I wasted my money but I sleep good at night. I can probably get maybe 1/2 or maybe more of the esp purchase price back doing my own maint.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
Wait, I sleep good at night too... My line of thought was, if the odds were you'd need it, they couldn't make money selling it. I was told the term for guys who skip it on everything like me is, self insured. Sure, I may get bit someday but I'm so far ahead it won't be an issue no matter how big the failure. YMMV...

Old 10-28-2015, 05:55 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
You probably wouldn't want pics... lol. It's the lowest end model I could find. Ha ha! Just an XL long bed with vinyl interior. I was looking at one that had manual windows ( I didn't even know they existed ). The one I ended up with does have power windows and remote keyless entry with a single CD, but that's about it. But I still love it. Traded in an F150 Lariat max tow, but I don't miss the bells and whistles. I'm adding everything else that I want. Put in my own bed liner, gonna add an under bed 5th wheel hitch, etc.

So anyone else have an opinion on the extended warranties? Convince me I am wrong (or right). Is the factory 100K warranty decent or what are it's short-comings?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I've only purchased an extended warranty on my truck. I don't buy them for other things. It paid off for my truck as Ford spent more fixing various things than I did for the ESP. There are a lot of expensive components on this truck. My next truck will have it as well but knowing my luck, I probably won't have to use it. It's entirely up to you. Either you get the warranty and it most likely is a purchase you won't use or you set aside funding to pay for any component that fails. These trucks are stable so there isn't really a right or wrong answer. Just understand what the different factory warranties do and do not cover.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by kper05
I've only purchased an extended warranty on my truck. I don't buy them for other things. It paid off for my truck as Ford spent more fixing various things than I did for the ESP. There are a lot of expensive components on this truck. My next truck will have it as well but knowing my luck, I probably won't have to use it. It's entirely up to you. Either you get the warranty and it most likely is a purchase you won't use or you set aside funding to pay for any component that fails. These trucks are stable so there isn't really a right or wrong answer. Just understand what the different factory warranties do and do not cover.
So what were the items that your ESP paid for and at what mileage?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:02 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
i bought one on my 2011 f250, its paid for it self 5 times. It was the first time I bought an extended warranty, so glad I purchased it.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I put 145,000 miles on my 2011 before I sold it. I did not have the extended warranty and I definitely came out ahead. Pretty much the same story on my 2000, 2003 and 2006 trucks. Yes if an engine fails, it's expensive, But I've saved enough over the past 15 years by not buying the extended warranty to pay for a pretty major repair.

To be fair to those that do buy the extended warranty. Your truck is bumper to bumper for 36,000 or 3 years. So there are items that can fail that would be covered. Radios, power mirrors, Clock Springs, VSS, radiators, alternators, hubs/bearings, etc. There is a chance any of these could fail after the 3 year/36,000 mile. Having 5 year/100,000 miles on the power train does not fix these parts.

Personally, I know i'll have to fix something, but it is usually cheaper than the cost of the premium care warranty.

My dealer had a little sales gimmick on my 2015 truck. They offer a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty/Unlimited miles on the Powertrain. So engine, tranny rear end are all covered. They are playing the odds, that most people will sale/trade before they have to pay much to repair anything. Since I put 30,000-35,000 miles on per year, I'm out of warranty pretty fast. So I plan on the dealer eating any serious engine/tranny failure.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:37 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by FatOldGuy
So what were the items that your ESP paid for and at what mileage?
Two mirrors within 50k miles and a water pump around 65k although now that I'm typing this, the pump was covered under the engine warranty but I did get an ESP paid rental F150.
Two mirrors are still $2,200 which is more than I paid for the ESP. I don't know what that pump, belt and coolant costs.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
It depends on what you can get the esp for. If you can get it at cost it is worth it. If the transmission fails at 61k its on you and not covered and an esp would cover it.. I have had the esp come in handy for myself.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have 2 points.

1. Depends on your lifestyle and finances. Personally, we never have more than about $6,000 in cash available, our home cash flow is high and it's just the way it is. Depends on your career, etc...similar with our business. I'm self employed and run our business without using a line of credit for anything. Aside from truck payments and insurance, we don't carry debt which means the cash flow is very active. A surprise $10,000+ bill would be worrisome.

Related, it depends on how many miles you drive each year. If it takes you 5 years to reach 100k then I'd think twice on it. The history of engine problems seems to be between 35-150k miles. Radiators, water pumps, turbo, fuel pump, glow plug, exhaust valves tend to fail inside that window. (I'm just kind of averaging, there are outliers)

2. It depends on why you have the truck. Personally, it's used for my work. It doesn't get breaks, it's not seasonal use, if I think I might have a problem I can't stop using it, I have to keep going. It doesn't get the best treatment. If I have to idle all day to run the parking lights/flashers then so be it. The warranty works out to what, .15-18¢/mile? It's easy to build that into my operating costs so there is no hurt, just passed on in the numbers. If I just used the truck for personal use it would get maybe 15k a year on it and I'd prob trade up every 5 years. If I kept it forever it would take a very long time to get beyond 100,000 miles so I wouldn't bother with it.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:00 AM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Thanks everyone! Clear as mud!! lmfao It's all just boils down to personal preference, I guess, and how you look at things. I had the ESP on my '13 F150 EcoBoost because I was a little afraid of how that engine would hold up. It had 56K on it when I traded it in and I never used it. I guess I just have to decide if I think the 6.7 PSD is worthy of my trust or not. I'll hold off on getting an ESP for now and see how the first 20K miles or so go.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still debating as well.
I only have 4500 miles on my 2015. I have 3 years or 36000 to decide to purchase the ESP?

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Why is it needed?