1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what is this, fuel filter? Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is this, fuel filter? Pump

This is installed on my 1948 Ford f-6 truck, converted to 12v, and I have no idea how to connect it? I'm rewiring my truck.
I've tried searching for AC Spark Plug (on casing) but that doesn't yield anything useable.

Is that a ground or power wire connected to it.
There is already a fuel pump in the engine compartment???

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I believe what you have is an electric fuel pump. I had a similar pump in my truck as well as a traditional mechanical pump. As neither worked, I removed the electric pump and installed an original equipment style mechanical pump that also incorporates a fuel filter with a glass bowl.

Jim
Deerbrook, WI

Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
The wire to my electric pump I believe is hot and activated by the ignition switch. For a time, I ran a modern pump off the wire from my ignition switch with good results--turn the key on--wait a few seconds for the pump to get gas up to the carb--and the engine was always ready to start. I'm not sure my new mechanical pump will work as well. I've only started my truck a few times with the new mechanical pump.

Jim
Deerbrook, WI

Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Is the wire power? I applied power, briefly, and got a spark
where's doe sit get connected in the harness?

Thanx.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
I also have a original equipment style mechanical pump that also incorporates a fuel filter with a glass bowl (and the fuel pump), with a vacuum line to it?

Both are needed?

Old 10-21-2015, 09:20 PM
26tudor
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
The connection on the bottom is for 12v power source should be hooked to the ignition had one on my truck years ago but didn't last long.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:16 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I replaced a lot of the wiring on my truck but kept the fuel pump wire just in case I may at some point want to go back to an electric pump. I'm away from my truck just now so I don't have a picture of how/where the fuel pump wire is connected to the ignition switch. I'll post a pic next week if it is still an issue. With the electric pump, I used an in-line fuel filter. The mechanical pump incorporates its own filter. Two pumps are not needed, but I understand that sometimes people keep an electric pump for starting and wire it so it has the ability to be shut down once the engine starts and the mechanical pump is working. I went with a mechanical pump, because I wanted my truck to be all original--our electric pumps seem age appropriate, but mine didn't work, and I couldn't find a modern replacement that looked like it.

Jim
Deerbrook, WI

Old 10-22-2015, 07:10 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Well hooking (+) to the wire causes a spark and it doesn't like it
But the other mech pump might be working but the truck is not starting at the moment.
I am assuming that the attached pic is the mech pump with the vaccum line?

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I believe the vacuum line is for your truck's wipers. Someone more knowledgeable may have to jump in and correct me, but some mechanical pumps are two stage and provide vacuum for the wipers. My truck has vacuum wipers, but my pump is single stage. The vacuum for my wipers comes from the manifold/carburetor. I have no idea at this point if my wipers work. I'm assuming not as the vacuum line from the carburetor to the wiper motor is not connected. When I purchased a new mechanical fuel pump, I had a choice between a single or a two stage unit. I went with a single stage because that was what was in my truck.

Jim
Deerbrook, WI

Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
An additional thought--my truck is an F1 and yours is an F6. That may be the reason your truck came with a two stage pump and mine didn't.

Jim
Deerbrook, WI

Old 10-22-2015, 07:52 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
well I think the electric fuel pump was definitely added recently. But I'm not sure about the mech fuel pump. They left it in the system? I spoke to soon about the vaccum line. Sorry nothing to do with this. And the engine is a 226 flathead so I don't think it matters about the F1 vs F6
Another picture added.

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2016, 09:49 AM
chrislynn5
Senior User
well I think I've found that this is a an AC Delco Electric Fuel Pump EP-12 model, I can't find a Manuel etc on it though.
So the owner before me hooked up the electric pump and still has the mechanical pump in the system. It's cold and wet now so I can't work on the truck (I might find a garage to rent). But I know the carb isn't getting fuel so I'll just need to test the electric pump. I also took apart the mechanical pump and cleaned it. Is there a good way to test the mechanical pump? I might also drain the fuel tank and make sure nothing is blocking anything.

And I need to get a manual on the carb since it might also be losing vacuum.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Take the mechanical fuel pump out. Put a hose on the inlet port and one on the outlet port. Stick the in hose in a container of has and pump the lever by hand. Gas should come out the out hose into your container.

You can also test it on the truck on the truck but keep the in hose hooked to the gas line. Pull the hose going to the carb and point it to a container and have someone crank the engine. If working it should lump fuel into the container. Some guys will be along to say how much gas in how many seconds. This is also probably in your shop manual.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
There are rubber diaphrams in fuel pumps that do not age well--neither do they like modern fuel. As you may remember, my truck had two pumps just like yours. Both diaphrams were shot. I was able to purchase a mechanical pump from a local auto parts store that looked just like my original except it didn't have a "cool" glass bowl. I was, however, able to swap in the glass bowl from my original pump thereby maintaining the "cool" factor I was hoping to keep. The new mechanical pump has been working great. My truck starts every time--even during our WI winter.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Good news.

Quick Reply: what is this, fuel filter? Pump