1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 f350 1 gear chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Scoobert
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 f350 1 gear chatter

Just purchased a 2014 f350 dsl with 83,000 miles. Had a wheel balance issue when I got it, since fixed. Hooked my 5th wheel up and noticed a chatter/vibration in 1st gear (automatic trans). Took it to the dealer, they reset the computer and I'm to drive it 100 mile and see if it goes away. They dropped the pan and there was a little debris, but the fluid wasn't burnt. Any one have an idea whats going on?

Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Have they checked to make sure the slip joint in the drive shaft isn't dry? Seems there were a few of those running around that they "forgot" to grease the joints in, and it would cause a shudder on initial acceleration.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoobert
Just purchased a 2014 f350 dsl with 83,000 miles. Had a wheel balance issue when I got it, since fixed. Hooked my 5th wheel up and noticed a chatter/vibration in 1st gear (automatic trans). Took it to the dealer, they reset the computer and I'm to drive it 100 mile and see if it goes away. They dropped the pan and there was a little debris, but the fluid wasn't burnt. Any one have an idea whats going on?
Welcome to the forum, Scoobert! Let me know if you're still noticing any chatter or vibration after 100 miles; I'll be happy to step in and assist.

Crystal

Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford didnt forget to grease the slip joint their drive shaft subcontractor simply didn't put enough XG-8 Teflon grease in there to start with, for many years. Find it hard to believe this STILL is a problem. Describe the symptoms differently. Chatter to a mechanic is different than a bump slide which more describes the dry slip joint. The dry slip joint produces more of a single kathunk upon take off from a stop. Liken it to bad spring pins where the springs shift as the suspension is loaded. Chatter I would compare to a standard shifted vehicle which has a bad clutch or flywheel where you get many cycles of chatter from a take off. Or when you come in from the cold and your teeth chatter. But the OP is in the right mileage range for the dry slip joint to rear its ugly head 35-75K.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Scoobert
New User
Chatter/vibration

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ford didnt forget to grease the slip joint their drive shaft subcontractor simply didn't put enough XG-8 Teflon grease in there to start with, for many years. Find it hard to believe this STILL is a problem. Describe the symptoms differently. Chatter to a mechanic is different than a bump slide which more describes the dry slip joint. The dry slip joint produces more of a single kathunk upon take off from a stop. Liken it to bad spring pins where the springs shift as the suspension is loaded. Chatter I would compare to a standard shifted vehicle which has a bad clutch or flywheel where you get many cycles of chatter from a take off. Or when you come in from the cold and your teeth chatter. But the OP is in the right mileage range for the dry slip joint to rear its ugly head 35-75K.
It has a 2 pce. Drive shaft and I will check it. From Wisconsin so I understand chatting teeth. It's only noticeable under heavy acceleration or with a load(rv trailer is 13,600lbs). In first gear i feel a vibration then the shift to 2nd. Only have 15 mile on it since the reset but it's still there.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Scoobert
New User
Thanks

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, Scoobert! Let me know if you're still noticing any chatter or vibration after 100 miles; I'll be happy to step in and assist.

Crystal
Thank you, talked with my Dad (life time Mech.) he thinks it's internal.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you only have it with the 5th wheel attached it would be obvious to me a drive line/angle issue. Had the same thing with my 250. Put a set of bags on to keep the truck level when hooked up. Problem solved.
Also there is a TSB on this as well.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as spud. When you put a load on the rear axle the driveline angles change as the suspension compresses. When you apply power the twisting force of the wheels torques the axle rearward which exacerbates the issue.

Your truck puts the most torque to the axle in first gear, so it's entirely possible that it takes full power in first gear to move the pinion angle enough to cause a vibration. Fairly confident the issue isn't the transmission.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Scoobert
New User
Only really noticeable when towing

Originally Posted by Tom
I was thinking the same thing as spud. When you put a load on the rear axle the driveline angles change as the suspension compresses. When you apply power the twisting force of the wheels torques the axle rearward which exacerbates the issue.

Your truck puts the most torque to the axle in first gear, so it's entirely possible that it takes full power in first gear to move the pinion angle enough to cause a vibration. Fairly confident the issue isn't the transmission.
It is very noticeable at low speed when tow my rv (14,000lbs) same problem?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 PM
W Mac
New User
Don't over look a failing u-joint. Had similar situation on an 05. Heavy throttle or heavy load at low speed. None were loose but had bearing damage in the intermediate joint.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:09 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It is very noticeable at low speed when tow my rv (14,000lbs) same problem?
Yep, I was talking about your truck when I said it. A 14,000 lb RV is going to have about a ton of pin weight.

Have your dealer check into driveline angles. I've attached a TSB from a few years ago. Doesn't apply to your year but the principles are the same.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2009-06-19_013426_tsb.pdf (312.1 KB, 850 views)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:31 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Yes, as well as a Ujoint as W mac said. Ive seen Ujoints do funny stuff. So does your truck have a carrier bearing between the two drive shaft halves? If so check it and the driveline angle as mentioned by spud & Tom. The carrier can be shimmed if it needs to go in that direction. Google drive line angles and check yours with it loaded down. Only takes a couple of degrees to make a ujoint unhappy.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:30 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Mine was vibrating a bit on my half ton last year after i changed leaf springs. I ended up changing the u joints in the rear driveline and balancing the driveshaft. Noise was gone along with other ones I didn't even know were there. I would vote for the change in driveline angle causing the problems as I know it did in my half ton. As well I might note that I could only notice the vibration in 1st gear as well.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am having the exact same issue and am pretty confident it is the limited slip clutches are shot, mine is the worst when I am pulling my fifth wheel and turning a slight corner while under acceleration..

Old 10-23-2015, 11:00 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
They dropped the pan and there was a little debris, but the fluid wasn't burnt. ?
never a good thing.

Quick Reply: 2014 f350 1 gear chatter