Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an Excursion, could use some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Nervosa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an Excursion, could use some advice.

I currently have a 2011 Supercrew and hardly make use of the bed and would like to switch to an Excursion.

Of the ones I have found, they seem to be close to 150k miles.
I have always been under the impression that mileage that high is bad aside from diesel. Is this a misconception and I'll be able to get another 80k miles out of this vehicle with regular maintenance ? (v10)

Diesel
I have never own a diesel and my only knowledge is, they last longer, get better mpg then gas engines, louder, require more maintenance / cost more to fix and have issues starting in cold.
Is any of this false or not apply to engines of now?

I don't tow anything (maybe a camper someday) but do take long trips to see family, so the better mpg and being more dependable of diesel appeals to me.

Is there any advantage getting the v10 over diesel for me?
What is considered high mileage for diesel ?
Is there any issues I should be concerned with getting an excursion or things to look for when shopping for one?

I did read that the first year of the 6.0 had problems and to go with a 2005 Would it be advised to just get a 7.3 over a newer 6.0 If I go the diesel route?

Lastly price, seems to be all over for the most part.
Is $9500 for a 2002 Limited v10 with 73k good?
Is $18000 for a 2005 Limited Diesel with 140k bad?

Thanks to all that reply in advance.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are some subjective questions. I do think you have the pros and cons pretty much down pat for either choice. V10 is great for reliability and cheaper to buy. Diesel tows better and gets better mileage but can really cost some cash to buy, maintain and repair. Both do their jobs well.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
You will find a lot of diesel owners who disagree with some of your diesel facts.
A good running diesel will start fine in the cold,
High miles for a diesel is the same as any motor if it isn't cared for correctly.
Don't buy a diesel for the fuel price and mileage per gallon. You will not make up for the difference in the purchase price . Resale price helps though.
You didn't mention if you do any mechanic work on your vehicles. That would save you money.
The purchase price depends on you and your luck at finding a good buy.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Your location is a factor too...

Old 10-11-2015, 07:12 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned the 7.3 & the V-10. I will never go back to diesel for the road. ( I have diesel engines in all of my equipment.) V-10 all the way. $9500 for a clean ( NO RUST) 02 with 73K is not bad BUT most likely could be had closer to 8. You are going backward on several fronts moving from a 2011 to a 02. There are several mods that should be done to ANY X, (mostly suspension, hubs, & brakes so you should look around this site for the info & figure this into the cost.(2-4K ) more or less. Looking at older vehicles means you better do some wrenching yourself or have lots of cash.

WELCOME to the BEST forum on the web !! Please add your general lo-cal to your profile , there could be several members near you that would be more than willing to lend a hand.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
You have come to best place on the web for EXcursion info, help and advice.

Originally Posted by Nervosa
I currently have a 2011 Supercrew and hardly make use of the bed and would like to switch to an Excursion.

Sounds like a solid idea but also remember that you are looking at vehicles that are at least 6 years and up to 11 years older than your F-150. Expect them to have less creature comforts and need a little more cleaning and fixing up to make it "yours".

Of the ones I have found, they seem to be close to 150k miles.

Pretty normal mileage range for 10 to 15 year old vehicles.

I have always been under the impression that mileage that high is bad aside from diesel. Is this a misconception and I'll be able to get another 80k miles out of this vehicle with regular maintenance ? (v10)

With normal proper maintenance and without being purposefully abused any of the 4 motors (5.4 V-8 gas, 6.8 V-10 gas, 7.3 Diesel & 6.0 diesel) available in EXs should go over that 230k mile mark. Diesels are more typically associated with lasting to higher mileages but there have been million mile V-10s too.

Diesel
I have never own a diesel and my only knowledge is, they last longer, get better mpg then gas engines, louder, require more maintenance / cost more to fix and have issues starting in cold.
Is any of this false or not apply to engines of now?

I have owned diesels and they are great engines, just like their gas counterparts. The diesels are typically considered to last longer, typically DO get better mileage, generally ARE louder, maintenance can be a toss up, really depends on the owner and the individual engine, diesels DO have more points that should be more closely monitored to direct needed maintenance, some diesel repairs ARE expensive but anything CAN break down, diesels are designed to start in the cold and a well maintained and running one will be fine. If the diesel isn't properly maintained and has glowplug issues it may not start if very cold.

I don't tow anything (maybe a camper someday) but do take long trips to see family, so the better mpg and being more dependable of diesel appeals to me.

I do tow a heavy camper (11k lbs) with my V-10 and it does it very well. You should expect to see between 10% and 40% better fuel mileage from a diesel over a V-10, there are too many variable factors that can affect fuel mileage to discuss here, but you may have to log an awful lot of miles to make up the difference in gas vs diesel initial pricing to make that a break even cost.
Define "more dependable" please. I think with proper maintenance any one of these 10 to 15 year old drivetrains will be as dependable on a long trip as the other. I did have a fuel pump crap out on me at 96k miles, other than that not even a hiccup.

Is there any advantage getting the v10 over diesel for me?

I can't answer that for you. I would recommend that you do some research here on the 7.3, 6.0 and 6.8 forums to get a better feel for what others have gotten from their ownership experience and to read up on "Pre-purchase checks".

What is considered high mileage for diesel ?

You'll get a better feel for that answer from reading up on the above mentioned Diesel forums here. I think that you will see that there are other factors to consider on a diesel than just the mileage. (Same as on a gasser).

Is there any issues I should be concerned with getting an excursion or things to look for when shopping for one?

Again, due to the age of the rig expect to find some flaws on almost any EX, but we have members here that can help with almost any issues you may come across. (Always use those flaws to try negotiating a lower sale price! ) Many owners, myself included feel that the stock EX suspension is too weak, but that is easily corrected with a spring swap from a pickup or any one of several other suspension mods. It all depends on how you feel about your EX's ride, how it gets used and your budget and skill level.

I did read that the first year of the 6.0 had problems and to go with a 2005 Would it be advised to just get a 7.3 over a newer 6.0 If I go the diesel route?

The 6.0 did get better as production moved forward, look on the valve cover to see a sticker with the motor's production year on it, look for 2005 production. (Some '05s still got '04 motors.)
Lots of folks think the 7.3 is a better diesel choice and that sometimes is reflected in the asking prices on them.
With the gassers the heads were improved in '02 to have more spark plug threads to reduce the chances of a spark plug blow-out. Care must be taken with spark plug installation to avoid this issue and the proper procedure to follow is posted here in the forums.

Lastly price, seems to be all over for the most part.
Is $9500 for a 2002 Limited v10 with 73k good?
Is $18000 for a 2005 Limited Diesel with 140k bad?

Local market prices vary greatly just as local vehicle condition. What is considered an "average condition" 10 to 15 year old SUV in the rust belt would be considered a "total rust bucket" in the dry South. If you are planning on this being a long term vehicle or you just want the best shape possible, shop in the South, it's worth the trip/shipping if you live in the salty North.

Thanks to all that reply in advance.
Choosing the powertrain for your EX is a big decision, I know it was for me before I bought mine. I did a lot of reading here to help with my choice, take a good look at all of them. I'm biased towards the V-10 as that's what I chose and currently drive but I tried not to let that bias slant my above response too much, both diesels are great motors each with there own "personalities".
Good luck on your search!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Nervosa
New User
Thank you all for the wealth of information I was a little hesitant about looking at v10s with over 150k mileage and never owning a diesel I didn't know what to expect.

Right now I'm leaning more on to the diesel side IF I can find one at a good price. (and if it passes the wife test)

Originally Posted by harley4jcs
I've owned the 7.3 & the V-10. I will never go back to diesel for the road. ( I have diesel engines in all of my equipment.) V-10 all the way.
May I ask why?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Eightmn
New User
If you are buying a diesel make sure its been well cared for and that all the factory issues have been addressed. I bought our EX just about a year ago and had been looking for one for a year before that. I was patient and found a pristine V10 with 80K on it for $7700. It was a good deal at the time and the inside looks new. Of course it had the issues with the power locks and the upper shock bolts in the rear but owning an older car has to be alabor of love or it will eat you up. I did the math and determined that there was no benefit for me with the diesel as I don't haul much with it. Its a great truck and there is always something to upgrade if you want to tinker. PS I don't care what anyone in here says, the best upgrade I made was the center console cup holders, what a difference. Good luck.

Tim

Old 10-13-2015, 02:16 PM
vanthony
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eightmn
If you are buying a diesel make sure its been well cared for and that all the factory issues have been addressed. I bought our EX just about a year ago and had been looking for one for a year before that. I was patient and found a pristine V10 with 80K on it for $7700. It was a good deal at the time and the inside looks new. Of course it had the issues with the power locks and the upper shock bolts in the rear but owning an older car has to be alabor of love or it will eat you up. I did the math and determined that there was no benefit for me with the diesel as I don't haul much with it. Its a great truck and there is always something to upgrade if you want to tinker. PS I don't care what anyone in here says, the best upgrade I made was the center console cup holders, what a difference. Good luck.

Tim
Tim,
Show us a photo of those cup holders.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Eightmn
New User
Mine is a 2000 and had these super shallow cup holders they were useless you couldn't put a full 12oz can in them or it would fall out. I bought the OEM ones from 2003 up I think. They actually hold a cup.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:46 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Thank you all for the wealth of information I was a little hesitant about looking at v10s with over 150k mileage and never owning a diesel I didn't know what to expect.

Right now I'm leaning more on to the diesel side IF I can find one at a good price. (and if it passes the wife test)

May I ask why?
Expense, Expense, & Expense. Plus it was a dog, would not tow a wet noodle stock & just like gas, others claim 20MPG but the best I ever saw was 14 with 12MPG being the norm. Expect 10-11 MPG average on the V-10,& as low as 6 MPG towing heavy (12K). The 7.3 got 8MPG pulling 8K.

PS: I have 2 V-10s at 175K & 195K, I would drive either one anywhere tomorrow.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
May I ask why?
I'm curious myself.

If you are buying a diesel make sure its been well cared for and that all the factory issues have been addressed.
That's a really broad, general statement. What factory issues are you referring to?

Stewart

Old 10-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Eightmn
New User
A cursory search of 7.3 vs 6.0 vs 6.8 would get you all the answers to the broad statement. Really no reason to restate everything that has been stated before.

Packaged Kits

My brother just dropped $7k on his 6.0 for new heads and it only has 150k on it. He got it used with 125k.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:52 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'm curious myself.

See above post, That & the turbo dumped 70K

That's a really broad, general statement. What factory issues are you referring to?

Maybe things like puking there guts out in the parking lot ? ( 6.0s only)

Stewart

LALALALALA (caracters)

Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
A cursory search of 7.3 vs 6.0 vs 6.8 would get you all the answers to the broad statement. Really no reason to restate everything that has been stated before.
Hmmm, let's take a step back.

It's obvious I'm not new here. My post count, join date, and the fact that my user name is in red font kinda gives that away.

So when you make this claim:

If you are buying a diesel make sure its been well cared for and that all the factory issues have been addressed.
...and I ask you for clarification, it's a very safe, very sure bet I have at least a cursory knowledge of the common problems that can afflict the "diesels" as you put it.

So, since you refuse to clear up your vague, general statement, I'll give it a go.

To answer the question that was generated by your statement about buying "a diesel" and making sure the "factory issues" have been addressed, to that I say, there are no factory issues. Zero, zip, nada.

There were no, repeat no FACTORY issues with "the diesel" as you stated.

Now, if you wanna talk about "the diesels" you need to be specific and differentiate between the 7.3L and the 6.0L PSD.

To that point (and maybe it's a matter of semantics to you, but to me it's a matter of being accurate and specific), so as not to cause more internet rumor which can easily happen, specifically regarding the 7.3L PSD, I don't believe (my opinion) there were any weak links that people will feel they need to immediately upgrade, or do preventive maintenance on, or that some will recommend be done for longevity, much less have any "factory issues."

As for the 6.0L PSD, in my opinion there are two camps. Those that say just drive it, monitor specific parameters, and be diligent on regular maintenance.

Then there is the flip side (i'm in this camp) where people feel certain specific upgrades should be done for peace of mind and for vehicle longevity. Items like head studs, EGR delete, Blue Spring mod, coolant upgrade, something called a stand pipe (not too familiar with this one) oil cooler, FICM, etc.

So, why do I disagree with your term "factory issues?" Because a factory issue means a part that will need to be replaced due to inevitable failure. For example, the intercoolers Ford used on the '99 Lightnings.

Those intercoolers would, over time, begin to leak like a sieve, so Ford instituted a customer appreciation program where owners were notified to bring their affected F150 Lightnings in and Ford would replace them with an upgraded unit.

This was not a recall. It was a factory issue that was addressed through a program to replace all defective units, whether or not they leaked.

To point out weak points and potential problems areas in a specific engine platform to alert people so they can decide if they want to upgrade, whether for preventive maintenance or "just because," then I say please be specific.

To me, this is not semantics. Factory issues are not the same thing as weak points or possible problem areas. That's why I asked you to be specific.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Looking for an Excursion, could use some advice.