1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Can I Install A 2009-2015 Glove Box On My 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:40 PM
ron.dittmer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I Install A 2009-2015 Glove Box On My 2007?

I removed my 2007 E350 passenger side lower kick panel along with the two metal support brackets behind it to access the back side of the dash board. Looking at the remaining void got me wondering if a 2009-2015 glove box assembly will bolt right in.

Mine is actually a motor home chassis where that extra glove box would be real nice to have during our road trips.

Has anyone tried mounting a 2009-2015 glove box into the previous generation (oval style) dash board?

This is the only picture I have handy. I need to take one of the area with the void I mentioned.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I'm assuming your area now looks a bit like this:

I've not seen the actual parts you'd like to install however I will offer the metal assembly holding the dash lower plastic trim panel is somewhat a part of the SRS or Supplemental Restraint System. Its intended function is to keep a body from submarining under the dash board, the thought being to act as an interior bumper of sorts for knees, legs and bodies.

If your passenger side air bag is installed and ever inflated while the lower metal structure is removed it could possibly lead to more bodily injuries because most street vehicles are a three point seat belt attachement---nothing to hold the hips or pelvis in the seat and prevented from sliding under and out of those restraints.

Not trying to alarm you but just a heads up. Yes the additional storage space would be great. Not sure how to safely provide that though----sorry.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM
ron.dittmer
New User
I took these pictures last night of the project of installing two additional 12V outlets in the center console, one is actually a duel USB. I included an in-line connector to disconnect the center console when needed. As shown in-process, I will be tapping into the cigarette lighter for fuse-protected power.

Now back to the glove box.

YES! I have the same as you but with that 2-tumor metal part unbolted & removed. The gray wire draped down in my pictures is the wire harness for the aftermarket Velvac brand (marketed for motor home application) power mirror on the passenger side.

I understand your concern over knee protection in a crash, but figure the 2009-2015 safety dynamics would apply if the glove box is a straight forward bolt-in into the same exact position. I am learning there are other interchangeable components, example: engine cover and center console, and wonder maybe the same applies to our 2007 kick panel & 2009 glove box.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM
ron.dittmer
New User
For reference here is a generic picture of what I have today in my 2007, and lower is a picture of a current-day 2009-2015.
My older design has a curve on the left side of the kick panel. The glove box does not. I wonder if the glove box will mount safe & proper, and look good too.

Has anyone on this forum tried doing this? If so, what did you learn from it?

My dashboard color for comparison. The color is a different tan.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question reach for it?

Seems to me that an overhead shelf or console would provide some storage for those misc items that the passenger (and driver) wants to have handy, and a lot less effort. The glove box in my 2009 van doesn't hold very much. It does have a power port for charging a phone, and a handy little slot for the owners manual, and of course you can toss in a couple pairs of gloves, but its fairly shallow and almost seems like its there mainly for the ad brochure. The driver can't reach it from the drivers seat at all.

YMMV of course!

Old 10-10-2015, 06:07 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ron.dittmer
Now back to the glove box.

I understand your concern over knee protection in a crash, but figure the 2009-2015 safety dynamics would apply if the glove box is a straight forward bolt-in into the same exact position.
With all due respect and not one bit of snark intended that's not really the case at all. The metal sub-structure is/would be quite a bit more substantial than a molded plastic box in the event of a crash. Bodies moving straight ahead at 55+ MPH create rather large dents in things, metal being a bit better suited to absorbing the impact and deforming in the process, the intention to keep said bodies within the designed occupant area, not under the dashboard.

All that being said though this is indeed your van and we look forward to how this works out for you eventually.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:28 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
That is just advertising "Break in! "

Old 10-10-2015, 02:26 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Wink steal me?

Originally Posted by vettex2
That is just advertising "Break in! "
Well, I disagree..as we spoke of this before...

With most peoples darkly tinted windows and some common sense, I dont think it creates any extra temptation to perform criminal acts. Of course it also depends on locations where you park the van....

I wouldnt put my $5000 DSLR up there, (if I owned one!) nor would I leave my credit cards and wallet on the top of the dashboard...

I really think most people we have in this forum are able to figure this stuff out for themselves...but having said that, I'm glad to have opposing thoughts posted...it keeps things lively around here!

Old 10-10-2015, 08:58 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We can disagree.....but....ask a cop what he thinks of leaving things in plain sight.

Of course in Texas you can shoot them

Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Talking in plain view

Originally Posted by vettex2
We can disagree.....but....ask a cop what he thinks of leaving things in plain sight.
So true. Thats why I went from a pickup to a van...And ironically, I live in a town called....no kidding here....Plainview.

So EVERYTHING I own is in....Plain View!

Of course in Texas you can shoot them
Uh oh...getting close to derailing this thread...so...no comment...

Incidentally...I had one of those overhead shelves in my pickup for 20 years and it was never an issue...from the outside you just couldn't see it or what was on it...and if I can find one that fits my 2009 Van I will order it immediately...

Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 AM
ron.dittmer
New User
OP here,

For my particular situation being a motor home, I have already relocated the back up camera (after the first picture in this post was taken) for I was hitting my head on it all the time when walking back inside the house portion. A nice storage shelf is appealing, but I fear it would reintroduce the obstruction.

My wife would love to have a glove box to place personal items she likes handy while on the road. Kind of like a built in purse. The door pocket which is impossible for her to reach, and the center console with all our drinks and stuff, neither fair well.

I would really like to find a 2009-2015 with beige interior in a local junk yard to take everything needed to determine if the installation is possible.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Ron if you move forward with this please keep us updated----would love to see any photos of your progress.

My '00 E250 straight cargo van came without the passenger side airbag in the dash board---the space it usually occupies makes a wonderful little storage or catch all area. At some point airbags became standard on both sides but generally its location inside the van was/is perfect for the older style glove boxes.

Also agree the lower mounted door pockets aren't really useful as low as they sit. I've found mine more useful as temporary trash cans while on extended driving trips.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:35 AM
JoseJoseJose
New User
Any updates OP?

Very interested to hear about any updates!!

Old 12-23-2019, 05:08 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by JoseJoseJose
Very interested to hear about any updates!!
Well its been over 4 years since this was originally posted, no updates by the OP so its unlikely anything of use has happened. Some ideas are better in our minds, trying to heavily modify something like a dashboard isn't an easy task so that might have stalled any progress or interest in going further with this idea.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:51 PM
ron.dittmer
New User
I am the OP. I gave up on the project trying to install a 2009-2020 glove box into our 2007 dash board. There is a curve in our 2007 (left side of the would-be glove box area) that is not in the 2009-2020 that I believe would look very tacky if I was otherwise successful with the glove box installation. Study my earlier-posted pictures closely and you can see the curve in the older non-glove box design. I wanted it to look original OEM, not an ugly retro-fit.

Quick Reply: Can I Install A 2009-2015 Glove Box On My 2007?