1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Lets talk about IFS.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 PM
MartyTheOneManParty
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets talk about IFS.......

hey guys new to the site. what brought me here is i have a 1968 f100 sb drum all the way around no power steering. I want to make it a hot rod due to the fact that it has a 428CJ in it. I have been looking around on the interet and have found that the crown vic swap is probably the way to go. howwever i notice that almost all cases when someone does this swap they decide to put in a modular engine like the 4.6 or something. what my question is what needs to be done to my motor mounts so that the vic swap and my engine can stay in there. i dont want to swap engines being that its the 428 and i really love it.

but i do know that the cross member has to be cut out in order for the new front suspension to be put in but the motor mounts are obviously attached to the frame as well as the cross member would like inputs trying to put all my ducks in a row before i start the project.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Imo, the reason guys stick with a small block or a mod motor is availability. Some just don't have the nads to go with an FE.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:40 PM
dav54effie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People do that because most of the time they buy thee hole car because it's cheaper in help grunt came across a deal. It's got the wiring harness and steering column etc.
one thing I've seen is people make motor mounts off of the crown Vic motor mounts. But then there is always shaving those mounts (if needed) and make your own mounts off the frame. Idk the specifics of your engine but I know if there's a wheel, there's a way.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM
MartyTheOneManParty
Junior User
well i dont have the whole car i just have hub to hub i got it from my cousin who had the car for a 4.6 swap on his mustang cause his took a dump. like i said its got the 428 same as the 360 or 390 FEs but obviously the most desirable one to have. I really want to do this swap for the advantages that it would bring considering its practically bolt on and i bought it for $200 i just hope theres someone on here that has done what i want to do.

I am just curios on how the motor mounts would be mounted to the frame and what angle pitch they would need to be at really. theres gotta be someone on here who has done this

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Visit the tech info compilation sticky cuz there are links to builds which use the CV.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 AM
MartyTheOneManParty
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Visit the tech info compilation sticky cuz there are links to builds which use the CV.
Like I said new to the sight thanks for the suggestion but how do I get there

Old 09-30-2015, 08:03 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MartyTheOneManParty
Like I said new to the sight thanks for the suggestion but how do I get there
Click on the link in my signature.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There has been others that stick with the FE engine after the CV swap. Like mentioned above reason why you see so many newer engines being swapped in these are they buy whole car it's all there it eliminates all the old school carb engine hassle. People get bitten by the bug and see it as being a project already why not go alittle further and swap motors as well to get all the advantages. But a 428 will be sick in it with ifs. You will need to build your own motor mounts either off the frame rails or off the CV k frame. Set the engine in find the tilt back angle and start building the mounts. You would think as popular as these swaps are that someone hasn't made a line of drop in motor mounts for all the different engine series. Hmm soneone would make a killing.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM
MartyTheOneManParty
Junior User
That's what I'm thinking I will have to do. Never done anything like that before but I am up for the metal fab challenge. Just curious as to how accurate the angle of tilthe would have to be. I suppose I could pull the clip and leave the engine in there find the degree as it sits with the frame being my straight plane. Unless you guys had other thoughts as to going about it..... keep em coming I appreciate the input!!!!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:21 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what your angle will be. but I set my engine in with 5* tilt back

Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM
scurtis3893
Freshman User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...many-mods.html

The link I attached will bring you to a thread I started and I have a photo of a set of mounts I made for a 429 and that CV suspension.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:31 PM
MartyTheOneManParty
Junior User
Originally Posted by scurtis3893
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...many-mods.html

The link I attached will bring you to a thread I started and I have a photo of a set of mounts I made for a 429 and that CV suspension.
Thank you so much this is what I've been looking for. It explains be a little different considering your 429 is a Y black and mine is an FE but same idea did you fab those up yourself or did you buy them as they were and just welded them

Old 09-30-2015, 12:57 PM
scurtis3893
Freshman User
No problem

Thank you so much this is what I've been looking for. It explains be a little different considering your 429 is a Y black and mine is an FE but same idea did you fab those up yourself or did you buy them as they were and just welded them
Yea I understand they are different but like you said it gives you an idea. I actually bought a bracket set that will mount a big block into a stock 68 and cut the bushing setup off of it. Then I hung and set my motor where I needed it, bolted the bracket onto the motor and put a bolt through the bushing then built from the CV suspension to the steel around the bushing.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:02 PM
MartyTheOneManParty
Junior User
Awesome build by the way I used to have a long box as well (72) I had most the body done it was gonna be my high-school project and was until I had it parked at a friend's house for a bonfire and someone literally ran it over with there jacked up chevy......... I was not a happy camper. But that's what insurance is for I guess.. I do like your set up you have for the rear as well I also want to do 4 link but I don't want to get carried away with asking questions about that I figured do the front then the rear

Old 09-30-2015, 02:32 PM
scurtis3893
Freshman User
Awesome build by the way I used to have a long box as well (72) I had most the body done it was gonna be my high-school project and was until I had it parked at a friend's house for a bonfire and someone literally ran it over with there jacked up chevy......... I was not a happy camper. But that's what insurance is for I guess.. I do like your set up you have for the rear as well I also want to do 4 link but I don't want to get carried away with asking questions about that I figured do the front then the rear

Thanks I appreciate the compliment! What a shame to be killed by an enemy like that. haha. But questions don't bother me. I picked that rear end off of ebay for $1200. Came with the Watts link, slotted rotors, new pads calipers and posi. the dimensions of the newer mustang rears with the mustang rim offset they fit perfect under the trucks except you have to notch the frame.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about IFS.......