1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Grateful for Incremental Accomplishments 51 F3

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:36 PM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Grateful for Incremental Accomplishments 51 F3

I have previously posted re: getting my F3 back on the road. Initially got rid of widow makers, next tackled stuck drivers door. New competent locksmith made a key from ignition switch, (I did not have keys) drivers door unlocked! This allowed me to remove the worn out seat and clean up a bit. (I had been trying to remove the 3/32 set screw for passenger door lock to make key, screw was not budging after 64 years in place) Cleaned out bed, junk had accumulated, wood gone but metal looks quite good.
As for cab, I'm wondering if Por-15 or similar repair might work or if I should go all in on new floorboard replacements?
Got home I couldn't quite explain to wife how pleased I was with the days accomplishments. I think our spouses must wonder how we can get so much satisfaction and joy from such seemingly small successes. But they support us and smile whatever makes you happy is the refrain I'm sure many of us have heard. Though a buddy of mine's wife says, "well better that than a blonde!"
Hope you all had equally satisfying weekends with your projects.
Now about that rust?

Old 09-27-2015, 06:44 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Always good to hear someone making progress. Go here for a discussion of how to remove that hidden screw. New metal? How bad is yours?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-removing.html

Old 09-27-2015, 06:48 PM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Sorry forgot to add photos.

Attached Images     
Old 09-27-2015, 10:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
POR15 will not fix that hole. And contrary to popular belief, it won't buff out, either. You're looking at a patch panel, at the very least to do it right.

The good news is it appears the surrounding metal is in good shape, and your truck is a good candidate for a simple patch panel repair.
The link is for a left and right pair, but single sides are available if you just need the right side floor. (DC's link for their right side floor half didn't have a photo)
http://dennis-carpenter.com/floor-pan/p/7C-8111106-PR/

Old 09-27-2015, 10:51 PM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Wayne, Thanks, I was thinking the same, I am concerned about the 'rail' that the seat sits on the top was rusted out on psgr. side as you can see, I wonder if I can cut and fit a new piece just that section from a new panel rather than replace the entire panel? This too is a poor candidate for the Por-15 fix I am guessing?

This is what happens when the window is left open many seasons in the rain, water accumulated under the original floor mat and this is the result, every thing else is very serviceable. Let's hear it for good ol' american steel!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I think the rail could be rolled for you by a local sheet metal shop (HVAC contractor shop) real cheaply.

Not entirely sure what you mean by the "POR-15 fix", but nothing but steel is going to last for the floorboards. There's a lot of heat in that area, too.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:04 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Working on these wonderful old trucks provides so much enjoyment. Each and every little item that I attempt and eventually accomplish provides so much satisfaction. It took a while but my wife started seeing some progress and I now enjoys our old truck. Its nice to here your that you are making progress on your truck, task by task, will eventually turn into a very nice truck that you and your whole family will enjoy as much as you do. Your in the right place for folks that share your passion and will help anyway they can. Keep up the good work.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:43 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by tiim5
Wayne, Thanks, I was thinking the same, I am concerned about the 'rail' that the seat sits on the top was rusted out on psgr. side as you can see, I wonder if I can cut and fit a new piece just that section from a new panel rather than replace the entire panel? This too is a poor candidate for the Por-15 fix I am guessing?
POR15 is a coating to put over light surface rusty metal to prevent it from getting worse. It's not a metal repair product of any sort. Let me see what I've got left. I may have a piece of floor you can graft in for that rail section that would work with your other patch panel you need. I'll PM you later in the next day or two.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 AM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Thanks Wayne, that would be a wonderful solution. I'll wait to hear from you.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:44 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced my entire floor forward of the rib with 16 gauge sheet metal. That was door to door. I also made a new rib all the way across. I used a piece of angle iron that was used as a lintel in a block wall to shape the rib. Pretty easy to do but made a lot of racket. Make sure you cut the rusty stuff back to good metal. Some of that might be pretty thin. I think there are some pics in my album of it.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Where in Cali are you Tiim5

Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 AM
tiim5
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys for all the tips, Schoo, I am in Bay Area, my truck is in Mtn. View.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tiim5
Thanks guys for all the tips, Schoo, I am in Bay Area, my truck is in Mtn. View.
I also have floor that may help, the shipping is a killer on this stuff
I'll pm you after work

Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro

Don't know if their the same or not this is a 49 your truck a 51? I believe this is good metal and repairable
I'll give you a Pm with email if your interested

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro

Another pic the brace/ support for the seat is in good shape

I could not get the pic into the message with my phone extra pic

Quick Reply: Grateful for Incremental Accomplishments 51 F3