Sponsored by:

PATS programmer

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM
RTrud
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PATS programmer

Anyone live close to the DC/MD/NOVA area with access or has a PATS programmer... Had a replacement PCM and took it to the dealership because they were actually cheaper than the alternative. Just needed to program the keys after swapping the PCM. Well - they couldn't get it to work and I had to pay $125 and taxes for 3 hours of time wasted and nothing to show for it.

Was hoping someone might have the PATS software.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:38 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
If they couldn't get it programmed in 3 hours (should take less than 30 minutes), either

1. They didn't know what they were doing or their equipment was busted.

or

2. Your truck (or the replacement PCM) is busted (or the wrong one).

I'm going with #2 as the most likely.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Which Dealership did you use? I'm a couple minutes south of you. Cowles Ford in Woodbridge quoted me $120 to program two keys. (Just for the programming.)

They were also not too keen on doing it for me because I got my keys and lock cylinders from another source:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...kill-pats.html

I'm working on getting a programmer together. Check out the FORScan software -
It appears to be able to do PATS programming:
FORScan forum ? View topic - How to program PATS using FORScan v2.2.*

So far, it hasn't worked for me... But I'm going to check with the publishers.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PATS programmer

Originally Posted by RTrud
Anyone live close to the DC/MD/NOVA area with access or has a PATS programmer... Had a replacement PCM and took it to the dealership because they were actually cheaper than the alternative. Just needed to program the keys after swapping the PCM. Well - they couldn't get it to work and I had to pay $125 and taxes for 3 hours of time wasted and nothing to show for it.

Was hoping someone might have the PATS software.
Personally if someone tried to do something on my vehicles and couldn't (unless there was a huge this might not work and you still have to pay us disclaimer up front) they wouldn't get paid.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
Personally if someone tried to do something on my vehicles and couldn't (unless there was a huge this might not work and you still have to pay us disclaimer up front) they wouldn't get paid.
That's the disclaimer the local locksmith have me. (Which was acceptable because they'd send a tech to me.)

But I'd have to tow to the Ford dealer, which is two miles from my house. And they said that people damage things by drilling out the old lock cylinder. How you damage a PCM or other electronics by drilling a lock out, I have no clue... Regardless, they said pay first, no guarantees if it'll work.

I also know that I have 80-Bit PATS keys. They should be backwards compatible with the Excursion's 40-Bit PATS system... But that's one more thing for the dealership to claim that I've got the wrong stuff.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:32 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
A little bit about bringing your own parts into a dealership (I am a parts manager). The biggest issue with an issue like the pcm is we don't know where it came from or if it's even going to work in the vehicle. In this case, the pcm is installed so the dealer can't see the part # on it to determine what it fits. OP doesn't say if it's used or refurbished. The technician has to hook up the computer and try to program it. All of this takes time. So the dealer is supposed to absorb the cost? If it was a part that was purchased through the dealer, then it's the dealer's responsibility to get it right. If the part is bad, we can warranty it. If my parts department hands out the wrong part, I get a bill from the service department for their wasted time and I'm apologizing to the customer.

Pele, yes 80 bit keys are backwards compatible. But, I have never seen an 80 key to fit an Excursion. People come in here all the time with keys bought off the internet and the first thing we tell them is there is no guarantee. We charge $55 to program 1 key or three keys on the same vehicle. Once the computer is hooked up, there is no difference on the quantity of keys to program. I have thousands of dollars of keys in stock. Yes, they cost more but I make very little profit on them. But they are also guaranteed to work with your car.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jpr38057
A little bit about bringing your own parts into a dealership (I am a parts manager). The biggest issue with an issue like the pcm is we don't know where it came from or if it's even going to work in the vehicle. In this case, the pcm is installed so the dealer can't see the part # on it to determine what it fits. OP doesn't say if it's used or refurbished. The technician has to hook up the computer and try to program it. All of this takes time. So the dealer is supposed to absorb the cost? If it was a part that was purchased through the dealer, then it's the dealer's responsibility to get it right. If the part is bad, we can warranty it. If my parts department hands out the wrong part, I get a bill from the service department for their wasted time and I'm apologizing to the customer.

Pele, yes 80 bit keys are backwards compatible. But, I have never seen an 80 key to fit an Excursion. People come in here all the time with keys bought off the internet and the first thing we tell them is there is no guarantee. We charge $55 to program 1 key or three keys on the same vehicle. Once the computer is hooked up, there is no difference on the quantity of keys to program. I have thousands of dollars of keys in stock. Yes, they cost more but I make very little profit on them. But they are also guaranteed to work with your car.
I fully understand that. But this dealer is charging $120.

I'm fine with $55. This is more than twice that.

They also want $50 per key.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
QUESTION:

My PATS keys are NOT CUT (In the event that I need to return them due to not working.) They will not turn the ignition.

I have a regular key (NON-PATS) to turn my ignition. I hold my PATS key next to the ignition to get the PATS module to read it.

I'm getting B1600 codes on my code scanner, meaning the PATS module is not reading any signal off the key.

I borrowed a PATS key from a 2005 Ford Explorer at work. (It's the oldest PATS equipped Ford I could find.) Still got a B1600 code.

So I'm coming to the following conclusions:

-My PATS module can not read 80-Bit PATS keys.
-The key needs to be closer to the PATS module.
-The key needs to be connected to vehicle ground (Through the lock cylinder.)

OR

-The 2005 Explorer at work does not have PATS. (Not likely, my scanner said it had 6 keys programmed.)
-The keys I got off of Amazon are knockoffs that do not have PATS transponder chips inside.

How close does the PATS key need to be to the PATS module to be read properly?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:49 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pele
QUESTION:

My PATS keys are NOT CUT (In the event that I need to return them due to not working.) They will not turn the ignition.

I have a regular key (NON-PATS) to turn my ignition. I hold my PATS key next to the ignition to get the PATS module to read it.

I'm getting B1600 codes on my code scanner, meaning the PATS module is not reading any signal off the key.

I borrowed a PATS key from a 2005 Ford Explorer at work. (It's the oldest PATS equipped Ford I could find.) Still got a B1600 code.

So I'm coming to the following conclusions:

-My PATS module can not read 80-Bit PATS keys.
-The key needs to be closer to the PATS module.
-The key needs to be connected to vehicle ground (Through the lock cylinder.)

OR

-The 2005 Explorer at work does not have PATS. (Not likely, my scanner said it had 6 keys programmed.)
-The keys I got off of Amazon are knockoffs that do not have PATS transponder chips inside.

How close does the PATS key need to be to the PATS module to be read properly?
Different model vehicles keys have different chips (frequency). We do not have access to the frequency information.

Strattec makes Ford keys so if you get one with that name on it for your vehicle you should be good.

Ford keys are the most screwed up that I have ever seen and are getting worse with new models.

Last edited by jpr38057; 09-25-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jpr38057
Different model vehicles keys have different chips (frequency). We do not have access to the frequency information.

Strattec makes Ford keys so if you get one with that name on it for your vehicle you should be good.

Ford keys are the most screwed up that I have ever seen and are getting worse with new models.
Yeah, I ordered a few OEM keys last week and they just got here in the mail.

Stratec P/N: 597602 H72PT
Ford P/N: 597602AF1B001

They're sealed in the bags and made in the USA. These are the original keys that came with the Excursion.

The keys I have been working with look like Strattec key blank 5904287

But they were in a zipper bag. I have no clue if they're actually original or some kinda knockoffs. I got them because they look cooler than the original keys.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:23 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
I had a focus svt that I removed the pats thing from the key and epoxied it to the ignition switch area. I did like, holding in different locations around that area and none would work. I ended up having to remove the plastic cladding around the column and finding the sweet spot which happened to be under the lock cylinder. That the only place it would work.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
WOOHOO!

I have two operating keys for my Excursion now!

RTrud: If you have an ELM327 or ST11xx compatible OBD2 to USB adapter, I have found software that will do PATS programming.

FORScan forum ? View topic - How to program PATS using FORScan v2.2.*

Additionally, this software reads DTCs from the ABS module, the Message Center, the CDS (Crash detection system, AKA Airbags) the GEM, and just about every other electronic module in the Ford lineup!

If you don't have one of those adapters, I can swing by sometime and try mine out on your Excursion. I'm like 5 miles south of you.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May be cheaper and easier to just unplug the PAT's system.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dougger222
May be cheaper and easier to just unplug the PAT's system.
Doesn't work like that. The programming for the PATS is in the PCM.

The PATS Module and the PCM sync up. If one is changed, you need a dealership tool to resync them. If the PCM doesn't get an unlock code from the PATS module, no spark, no fuel.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:38 AM
ruffneck30
Junior User
Hey, Pele
What version or brand of ELM327 do you have or maybe a link.
There are so many out there and want to make is works with forscan.

Thanks

Quick Reply: PATS programmer