green oil in the high side manifold gauge after dynamic test

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:35 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
green oil in the high side manifold gauge after dynamic test

After testing all the fuses and relays last night to see what was causing condenser clutch to not engage I tried testing the voltage to compressor. I could not get VM probe into connector. Turns out connector was loose! Clutch now works. AC is cool but not cold. I put manifold gauge on with the engine running and tires sure are 42 low and 138 high with ambient of 75 degrees f when is disconnected the gauge and purged the high side it sprayed green oil and refrigerant. Should I be concerned?

Could this be the cause of ac not blowing cold?

Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You must be typing with autocomplete on!

Always best to put year, truck type, and engine in question posts, otherwise we have no idea what you are working on. So I have no idea if you are working with R-12, or R-134a.

I like to disconnect the LO side with engine running and compressor engaged, that is the lowest pressure time. And for HI side, compressor OFF, and let pressures stabilize to static pressure, which is dependent on ambient temperature, rather than compressor head pressure. With R-12, or with R-134a without shut-off couplers on the hoses.

Even with shut-off couplers on the hoses, less refrigerant will be in the hoses if done as above (turn LO side coupler to OFF w/compressor running, HI side coupler to OFF with compressor OFF and pressure stabilized. That way, there will be less loss of refrigerant and oil into the hoses.

The green is dye in the oil. Keeping the manifold set elevated, like hooking it on the underside of the open hood can help minimize oil travel into the hoses. But not always.

You need to look up a P/T Chart for the refr. you have to determine what your system pressures should be vs. the ambient. Shop manuals can be a help with charts specific to the vehicle under certain specified operating conditions (engine RPM, doors and windows open, control settings, fan speed, etc.). Most likely you are low on refr., but you need where to go to under what conditions before charging.

As they say, the absolute best method is to start with an evacuated system, and weigh in the total charge required. Adding to an existing system can be done, but is not the most accurate method. That is why it helps to have the charts, to have some idea where you are, rather than just winging it.