Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Towing boat to Salt Water & Wheels/Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 AM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing boat to Salt Water & Wheels/Rims

What can I do to keep my wheels/rims and breaks from getting corroded by the salt water? 2011 Ford Escape Limited.

I live by the ocean and tow a waterski boat that I launch in salt water. When I back it in to the water the wheels get about 1/2 under the water. So they definitely get soaked in the salt water.

I usually launch in the morning and then park and bring the boat in in the afternoon. so that can be 6 hours or so of the salt water staying on my wheels. I wash the boat and wheels off at home with a water and rag.

Any tips? Products? Are the stock aluminum wheels that and brakes fine in the salt water or do i need to do anything special??

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:55 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm several hours away from the beach and salt water, but I do live in the northeast where salt is a favorite of the state for winter road management as far as ice and snow is concerned.
The aluminum rims on our '02 have held up pretty well against the road salt...but that's not sea water. I think road salt is worse though.

What you could do is get a piece of bare aluminum (no coatings) and dip it into the water when you launch. Leave the piece of aluminum near the Escape while you enjoy the day, then redip and rake it home. That piece of aluminum will corrode much faster then the coated rims will.
I think you'll find there isn't too much to be concerned over.

Others might have suggestions as far as coatings, but I think just hosing them down and keeping them clean should suffice.