Electrical Connector

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Electrical Connector

I am retrofitting a power distribution box from a '00 to '06 Ford Escape/Mazda onto my '82 F150 to go hand in hand with my 3G alternator upgrade.

How ever since I am doing a complete rewire of this box to do away with my generic stand alone headlight relay circuit as well as to add in circuits for the two flood lights I currently have installed and the spot lights I have on order I have decided that it would be more professional if I used a main wiring harness connector just out of the power box to allow the box to be removed and installed without having to cut the wires.

Problem is though I am seeking out a waterproof style factory connector that has at least 10 pins. That is 2 pins more than I absolutely need, I have found some on ebay like this as well as Summit and Jegs but all of them are 20A max. Since this will be running my composite headlights and Sylvania Silverstar bulbs I have a 30A requirement for the headlights alone even the factory used a 30A fuse for the headlights.

I figured I need a connector that is rated for atleast 40A preferably rated at 60A.

Does anyone know of any connector that has atleast 10 pins and could handle atleast 40A of current without failing? I will be hitting some junkyards if I am able to to get the 3G alternator and would like to grab this connector if I know what to look for. By the way it would be a big plus if the connector was out of a Ford but isn't a deal breaker.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
What's the total load expected from this aux fuse box? It will be a lot won't it? For the main feed you will need a very large connector. You will also need some large wiring from the alternator to a lug that can split the power between the new fuse box, the battery and the truck itself.

Not sure where you can get connectors. Connectors are always a problem in wiring circuits. If something is going to fail, it's usually the connectors.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
So far the headlights circuits going from the box to the H4 bulbs will be a 30A fuse, the flood lights will be a 20A fuse maybe a 30A. The spot lights will be a whole different thing as I have to wait till I get the two I ordered in and test them to see what the actual amperage draw is then I can figure in what would be a ideal wire size and amp fuse.

The charge wire was going to be a 4ga wire running from the back of the alternator to the built in megafuse holder which power the box then the other side of the mega fuse will have a 4ga wire running from it to the starter solenoid to supply power to the rest of the truck.

So far I am trying to source a 160A mega fuse seeing as a large case alternator is 140A rating and I don't think it would be smart to run a 175A mega fuse but if that's all I can find I might have to.

So far I am looking at the following fused circuits.

30A headlight circuit
20A to 30A flood light circuit
TBD for the spot light circuit

There would also be another circuit that would be added aftermarket if I end up with a full 12v electric choke as I would use the stator to trip a relay to send battery voltage to the choke so that I am not sure what amperage I would protect that circuit for if I would even protect it.

I found some nice 12 pin connectors deutche connectors but I got a response from one ebay seller that selles electronic connectors an supplies said each pin is rated for 15A which is still way too low in my book as if my headlight fuse is at 30A that means the connector would fail or potentially catch fire before the fuse would even blow. I don't like that thought to be honest.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
You can look up a 99 tahoe with a 5.7 and look up the fuse for it. I just had to buy one, and it's a flat black looking fuse with blades and about a 3/8 hole in the blades. I think it's rated at 150 amp. Not sure where you could get a holder for it, unless you went to the junkyard or just made one out of some sort of insulating material and some bolts. I think it was about $8 at the store when I had to replace it.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
The box I purchased off ebay which I still haven't got and I am fixing to email the seller again asking if he shipped it as it still says "Paid but not shipped", it how ever has two threaded studs for a mega fuse to mount so that is no problem.