Trouble Towing E350

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Shortems
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Towing E350

OK so I am new to this forum but I am looking for some help and guidance, because I might have rose colored glasses on.

First some background. I recently obtained a Ford E350 Glaval conversion van for use as a tow vehicle (believed to be capable of Towing 10,000 lbs). The van has about 110,000 mile on it a 460 7.5l motor 4.10 rear and the e40d transmission with about 500 miles on it (replace prior to being placed in storage for 13 years). The van was purchased new by my Father to be the family tow vehicle for our camping trips up and down the East coast. I am looking to use it for the same purpose to tow my new 35ft travel trailer dry weight 6,500 lbs fully loaded weight 9,985lbs. Typical weight of trailer as used 7,700lbs

Now the questions.
1. Should this van with this configuration be able to tow 10,000 lbs (based on trailer life tow guide it should)
2. Should I be able to maintain highway speeds 65mph while pulling on an interstate while climbing a hill or do I need to slow down and use flashers?
3. If the van can pull this kind of weight what would cause this vehicle to not be able to pull the weight? (See list of work completed to date below).

For me to recieve the van it drove about 400 miles from my parents house to mine. Here is a list of work completed prior to my first pull.
1. New wheel cylinders calipers and brake lines
2. New shocks front and rear with tow shocks
3. New radiator (old one had two pin holes)
4. Full time up plugs wires cap
5. New computer (engine was running rough all tests pointed to ECM once changed seemed to fix problem)
6. Oil change
Completed after my first and only pull
1. Two new transmissions
2. Installed a larger tranny cooler
3. Tested catalytic converter for back pressure
4. Checked timing
5. Tested fuel pressure at injectors

My first pull was a short 3 hour pull from my house with some thruway, back roads and holes. I will say the travel was not what I expected the van struggled on all roads unless flat barely maintaing highway speed. The first 40 minutes of the trip the stock temp gauge was running high, still in the normal range but high. During the trip while ascending a hill on a back road I lost the transmission (remember new only a couple of hundred miles) the temperature never exceeded the normal range again high but did not exceed it.

I have since received another reman transmission from Jasper. I had high hopes the new transmission would solve the struggling towing but the Towing did not improve any again the vehicle struggled at highway speeds while ascending a hill (4 miles long) on the interstate I was barely able to maintain 60mph (speed limit is 65) this time I had a transmission temp gauge and was running temp in the 240 range (not good I know). I delivered the trailer home and parked it. While backing the trailer in I reached temps in excess of 260 (blew Tanny #2) luckily the tranny was under warranty and was replaced at Jaspers cost and I was to convince them to install a much larger cooler.

I don't want to give up on this vehicle because it has the perfect amount of space for my family while traveling but I need to know if it can handle the trailer we have and if my expectations are too high.

Any help and guidance is appreciated.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:02 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
My thought here is you are getting a number of indications that your van may not be up to the task. One thing you do have to bear in mind is once you get rolling, wind resistance to what you are towing may play a greater role than weight. These RVs we drag behind our trucks basically have the aerodynamics of a barn and it takes plenty of energy to move them through the air. I think you are seeing that with the difficulty you are having maintaining highway speed

You have made numerous changes to the van, but I do not see anything on that list that has increased the power of the engine, though I do think the inclusion of a larger transmission cooler was wise given what appears to be an obvious problem.

As just a possible first step, has an independent service center or dealership evaluated the engine? As a general rule, mechanical things do not age well when stored for prolonged periods.

Steve

Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Shortems
New User
Steve,

Thank you for the reply. I agree mechanical things do not age well. All work listed above has been completed at an independent service auto repair shop. Additionally, when I first received the van (prior to the first pull) I had the station go through everything mechanical on the vehicle, timing, compression, plugs, transmission, rear end, etc. I was given a clean bill of health.

Quick question with this drive tran configuration would additional power be required, I was under the impression it would not be required? I agree with the wind resistance and not sure if my expectations are too high.

Thank you
Michael

Old 09-02-2015, 11:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Shortems
Steve,

Thank you for the reply. I agree mechanical things do not age well. All work listed above has been completed at an independent service auto repair shop. Additionally, when I first received the van (prior to the first pull) I had the station go through everything mechanical on the vehicle, timing, compression, plugs, transmission, rear end, etc. I was given a clean bill of health.

Quick question with this drive tran configuration would additional power be required, I was under the impression it would not be required? I agree with the wind resistance and not sure if my expectations are too high.

Thank you
Michael
My opinion here is your van is giving you multiple indications it is not up to your demands as it currently is configured. In this regards, again my opinion, yes your expectations are too high.

Steve

Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Shortems
New User
Steve,

Thank you that is unfortunate.

Michael

Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
How does it run on the road NOT towing?

Old 09-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Shortems
New User
BPofMD, the van runs good without the trailer on it. 150 miles maintains 75. When getting to the hills the van requires a little extra gas (what vehicle doesn't) but can maintain the speed.

Based on everything I have read the E350 with a 460 and 4.10 rears should be able to tow this trailer. If this van is a lost cause is it because of the drive tran itself or because there is something wrong with the drive tran. I would really like to use a Van as a tow vehicle.

Michael

Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
The part of the equation no one knows is: 15+ years sitting will dry out many, if not all, the gaskets and seals in AND outside the engine. Fluids are probably leaking past these seals and gaskets - but to what extant? And what damage has already taken place...or hasn't? All an unknown. Use it as a people hauler for a while before you attempt to tow again.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I do not see a Year for your Van!!!

20 years old (maybe) stored 13 years!!!

if its a pollution motor... Low compression... maybe 250 to 300 hp... even being a 460.
also manual shifting of transmission.. staying OUT of high gear...
also check and see if Trailer brakes are dragging ....or wheel bearings.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Also, depending on the year, your transmission modulator is controlled off of your carb. I've seen certain year 460 Fords go through transmissions like popping PEZ candy because of either a bad or improperly set up carb.

Make sure the shop you're using really is up to the task, regardless of what they're telling you.

I think there's something wrong with your specific van. That combo should be able to pull what you have and get there and back in one piece. Something isn't adding up here. There could be a host of things wrong with your van at this point.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As far as the transmission, the e4od should be okay as long as it was rebuilt with all the updated parts. It is HIGHLY recommended that you install the biggest cooler you can on it to keep the temps down. You can install a thermostat as needed to keep it from over cooling in the winter or when not towing.

Install good gauges so that you know what is going on with the van while towing. I would think that the 460 would do well with a few performance tweaks.

What year is the van and how much $ do you want to spend on it? My opinion is that the van will tow what you want, but it will take a little bit of an investment to make it do it well.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
I agree that you should be checking out this trailer as well. There are several things that could be messing you up here.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Shortems
New User

if its a pollution motor... Low compression... maybe 250 to 300 hp... even being a 460.
Sorry about that. It is a 1994 one of the first years with fuel injection. I believe the motor was rated at 245hp. When trailering I keep the overdrive off. Which is the same as putting the newer vehicles in tow mode. I have not checked the trailer brakes, I wouldn't think to check them since the trailer is new but it is worth looking at.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Michael

Old 09-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Shortems
New User

Sorry about that. It is 1994 one of the first years of fuel injection. This year I believe has 245hp. When trailering I keep the over drive turned off to ensure the torque converter is locked up and not hunting for a gear.

I did not check the trailer brakes didn't think to since it is a new trailer. I will look at those to double check. If you have any thoughts of what might be the issue it would be helpful thank s

Michael

Old 09-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Shortems
New User
Originally Posted by jayro88
As far as the transmission, the e4od should be okay as long as it was rebuilt with all the updated parts. It is HIGHLY recommended that you install the biggest cooler you can on it to keep the temps down. You can install a thermostat as needed to keep it from over cooling in the winter or when not towing.

Install good gauges so that you know what is going on with the van while towing. I would think that the 460 would do well with a few performance tweaks.

What year is the van and how much $ do you want to spend on it? My opinion is that the van will tow what you want, but it will take a little bit of an investment to make it do it well.
The rebuilt transmission is from Jasper with the larger valve bodies and larger cooling lines. The second transmission that blew was because the cooler provided by Jasper was not large enough. Luckily it was under warranty I got a new transmission and a much larger cooler. The tests I have run with the new tranny and cooler have been keeping it about 30degrees cooler 190 when Towing.

At this point I want to keep expense low, I have about $8k in the van now with the tranny, new computer, shocks, tires, radiator, etc.

The specs for this van indicate a tow capacity of 10,000 I am 2,500 less than that. I am wondering if it is due to a bad computer, modulator, or possibly due to a small exhaust leak. If it could possibly be any of those is there a way to test this. I don't want to throw money at testing?

Quick Reply: Trouble Towing E350