1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need a meeting of the minds on this one!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JT250
It is completely drained. I mean empty and there is only 1 hole at the lowest part, below the screen, right? That means it is draining wherever that hole leads. Correct? I just don't know where that hole goes. I am thinking HPOP feed?
You sure there's not a crack somewhere?

I've got a front cover laying around somewhere. I'll get you some photos this weekend showing what the back side of the cover looks like around the hole you're worried about. Just keep an open mind.

Edit found some pictures. A leak in just the right spot of the HPOP gasket could cause the drain down. Could also be the check valve (ball with a spring in the block). I don't remember where the other hole leads, but in the last photo you can see the check valve spring in the hole on the upper right. That's where it would leak back down if the ball didn't seat right.

Attached Images    
Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Positive there's not a crack? No. I.pulled the fuel bowl and HPOP today and cannot see one. I got pictures the best I could.

This is how low it was before removing the HPOP and I did not remove any oil. The next pic shows where there would have to be a crack in order to drain oil. I dont see a crack so that means it has to go into the HPOP or through the gasket, but with how low the the oil is getting it would have to go up within the gasket to leak down. I dont see any damge to the gasket. Also if it were going into the heads it would also have to go up or siphon out of the HPOP.

I have already replaced the ball and spring. It made no difference. There is a seat that I did not replace because nobody can tell me how to get it out. My next step will be to replace the HPOP gasket, put the HPOP back on. Filll the bottom cavity of the HPOP res and see if it hold oil. If not I will try to see where it is going.

Any other ideas while I have it apart?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Sorry those pics are horrible. There is about 1/16" of oil left in the reservoir due to a the HPOP feed hole being a tiny bit higher than the bottom of the res. Maybe these pics are better.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Clues:
  1. The top of the picture is the slush box for the HPOP, and it is full of oil to the highest rim - you can see oil there. No leak here.
  2. The LPOP feed is on the bottom of the photo, and you can see oil drained way down the feed hole.
To which picture ate you referring ? When you say LPO check ball you mean the quick fill check valve or is there another one somewhere?
This one:

And here's another picture to peruse - LPO route:

Old 09-05-2015, 08:36 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Rich I am confused by your post. You said the oil is full to the highest rim. However it is actually empty. Also you said the bottom of the pic isnthe lpop feed. The part under the sensor where the screen is feeds the HPOP correct?

Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
I beleive I have it figured out. I put the pump back on and filled the HPOP feed reservoir. I had a theory so I did not attach the gear so I could see if it was leaking. I made a mark on the inside of the reservoir so I can time how fast it drains. I filled it at 9:59 am.

About 2 minutes later it revealed itself. In the picture below, if you look closely at the bottom, between the green seal and the gear you can see the trail of oil. The pump is leaking internally. It is running out over the green seal and down the front of the case.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Man.... After doing an exhaustive search for more info on the flow through the reservoir on our era of 7.3L, I'm left with more questions than answers.

Here's where my brain goes when I look at the photo you provided:

My first thought was the check ball allowing oil back into the oil pan. After looking at the photo below, I realized this would drain oil from the stand pipe, not from the reservoir:

Assuming the hole in the bottom of the reservoir (bottom of your original photo) is the actual feed to the HPOP slushbox, I was thinking the slushbox or pump allowed the oil back into the pan somehow - because there are no external leaks. However, this makes no sense with the photo below.

Just to confound things more... I found this photo:

It would appear the oil flow within the HPOP reservoir is one of those mysteries of the universe - like how they built the Egyptian pyramids. If somebody knows how the oil gets to the slushbox in the OP's truck, then we might figure out how oil is getting back into the pan and not leaking outside the truck.

I have not ruled out oil leaking into the fuel rails (and the fuel tank) by way of leaky injector O-rings, because it could feasibly reach the tank by way of the fuel pump (no check valve there). Black oil filter?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:51 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my front cover and hpop oil reservoir stripped down to bare bones. I'll see what I can find and post up picks.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:17 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Are you guys seeing my post that is made at 10:11 am. I pretty sure I have it figured out. It is my pump that is leaking internally into the front cover by the drive gear.

Rich your arrows that point to oil at highest point are actually oil mostly empty that is the bottom of the reservoir on the passenger side.

The oil fills through the stand pipe then fills the reservoir and lower HPOP feed.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Are you guys seeing my post that is made at 10:11 am. I pretty sure I have it figured out. It is my pump that is leaking internally into the front cover by the drive gear.
Into the front cover, then.... Oil Pan (by way of a passage to the block)? Ground?

Rich your arrows that point to oil at highest point are actually oil mostly empty that is the bottom of the reservoir on the passenger side.
I was just making the point that there are no cracks or holes there to drain those puddles.

The oil fills through the stand pipe then fills the reservoir and lower HPOP feed.
I get that, but I haven't yet found the port from that big hole to the slushbox - hence my curiosity.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tugly
Into the front cover, then.... Oil Pan (by way of a passage to the block)? Ground?

I was just making the point that there are no cracks or holes there to drain those puddles.

I get that, but I haven't yet found the port from that big hole to the slushbox - hence my curiosity.
II dont know how to mulitquote. Especially on my phone so...

1.Into the front cover then back to the pan somehow. I dont know the feed or return in the front cover but the gears have oil in them so I assume oil travels around.

2. OK we are now on same page.

3. Every thing is connected except the hole with round top and square bottom. I'm not sure what that is.

Thanks for spending time on this. Hopefully if someone else ever has this problem they won't have to spend 2 weeks of frustration like I did.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:39 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Thank you to everyone who brainstormed this with me!! If I would have taken it to a shop it would have cost me a lot.

I will update as soon as I can get s new pump. I am guessing that Joey won't answer email until Tuesday. I think I will be lucky to have a pump next week.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you to everyone who brainstormed this with me!! If I would have taken it to a shop it would have cost me a lot.

I will update as soon as I can get s new pump. I am guessing that Joey won't answer email until Tuesday. I think I will be lucky to have a pump next week.

I hope that's it! Doesn't Clay sell Joey's stuff?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I hope that's it as well. I'm not yet convinced this is it... but I'm not in front of the truck to see what you see.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tdpower
I hope that's it! Doesn't Clay sell Joey's stuff?
He does but i think I got it straight from Joey

Quick Reply: Need a meeting of the minds on this one!! HELP!!!