Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2001 Explorer Wiper only works with washer cycle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:23 PM
oldtech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Shorod, I finally got some time to get back to this issue. Took out the center dash panel. Took a look at the GEM and now I only have more questions than answers. The upper plug block was disconnected. The upper block contains the Pink/Yellow wire, that would explain non-functioning wiper. However, the bigger question is why was it unhooked and how come the only two things I have noticed not working are the rear wipers and the front wipers. Upon closer examination, the GEM says "sport utility 4x2" on the sticker. I am guessing someone replaced the GEM and put a 4x2 unit in rather than a 4x4 GEM. I have no idea what the implications of this are. The 4x4 seems to work properly. Do I dare plug this in since it was not plugged in for some reason? (did not check the plug to even see if it mates) The remote lock unit works, the combination lock pad on the door works, the security chip in the key seems to work, just not sure what all those wires on that block do. Slapped it back together for tonight. tempted to pull the Pink/Yellow wire from the socket and plug it in directly to the corresponding pin and just let it ride until something else shows up as a problem. But, not sure that will work. Some guidance here please...

Last edited by oldtech; 09-07-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: after thought...
Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I suspect that connection was loose rather than completely disconnected, and in the process of working in that area (maybe even when installing the stereo equipment) the connector was pulled out. The other wires that would be needed even making the washers work are part of that connector. If it was completely unplugged, the washer wouldn't have worked either and you would certainly have other issues (door ajar inputs, key warning input, exterior light power, rear window defrost, etc.).

The GEM gets configured using a dealer scan tool so I suppose it's possible that, even though it's marked as 4x2, it's been configured for a a 4x4.

-Rod

Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 AM
oldtech
New User
I guess it is possible, however, it was not just unplugged, it was unplugged and moved above the unit. An unlikely place for it to end up if it had just worked its way loose. I did not attempt to plug it back on. If it is the same socket, do you feel it is unlikely that I will damage anything by plugging it back in if it is actually the wrong GEM? Procedure to plug it back in would be to unhook the battery for about 15 minutes before attempting to plug it in? Is that the unit that contains the key transponder code and the door lock keypad code? Those items do work. And the transponder has not been circumvented because a key that does not have the transponder will open the door but will not start the vehicle. An additional note is that this GEM seems to have 3 plug blocks. Only the small one in the middle is connected. I do not know where the 3rd cable is or if it even uses the 3rd connection block.

Last edited by oldtech; 09-08-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added thought...
Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Wow, that is odd. Have you tried the washer to see if it works? From what I can tell from the wiring diagram, if that connector is unplugged, the washer won't work either.

-Rod

Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 PM
oldtech
New User
I am almost 100% sure I tested the washer again after I put the dash back together last night. I know for sure the locks were fine and I had nothing out of the normal on the dash gauges. I should be able to look at it again tonight.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 PM
oldtech
New User
Problem Solved!

OK, Problem Solved! Mystery also solved. Apparently sometime while I was not trying to solve the issue my son had the radio and center dash back out and apparently had a wire hanging down and stuffed it back up without figuring out where it went. It must have been partly off when I was first trying to solve the issue. I must not have tested the washer/wiper last night when I put it back together. Because tonight that was the first thing I did and the washer did not work. So, I unhooked the battery and pulled the dash out. Left it set a few more minutes without the battery connected and then plugged that block back in. I got a positive click when the lock connected on the plug. Hooked the battery back up and tested the wipers. They now work properly. Was kind of hoping that the rear wiper issue would be solved too, but, that is not the case and not something I am going to start on tonight.

Thank You so much for your guidance on this trouble shooting. Wish I could find a service where I could buy professional grade online diagnostic information on a per-vehicle basis rather than an annual subscription. Tried this with AllData, very little useful data. I don't think Mitchell does per-vehicle

Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Great, I'm glad to hear you got the issue resolved!

As for the online diagnostic info, I've subscribed to Alldata for several years for various vehicles and I've been generally very pleased with the available information. The information they provide is factory service information. It's also nice having access to the full technical service bulletins (TSBs). I've not found another consumer-aimed source with TSB detail. It can get a bit expensive if you own the vehicle for several years, but basically if it helps you fix one relatively minor issue each year it pays for itself.

You might also check with your local public library to see if they subscribe to EBSCO. If so, you may be able to access that service for free if you are a member of the public library. That's on online service that has rather thorough information on vehicles that are generally out of the warranty period. It's usually not reprinted factory service information, but I have yet to find errors in the provided information.

-Rod