6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for some deep knowledge input. Re Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:32 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I can.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:47 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by egregg57
Exeter area.
Small world... brother-in-law is the Exeter Fire Chief. Wife's family is from Lee.
Cool!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Active command fanvar# to 100%, while monitoring fanss pid. Run truck to 3000k rpm in natural when up to temp.
Watch fanss for a drop in rpm. That would mean a bad belt and/ or pully

Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by cheezit
Active command fanvar# to 100%, while monitoring fanss pid. Run truck to 3000k rpm in natural when up to temp.
I will try it. Will need to be monday, my day off.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:48 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
To add to this if you're using IDS, when you command it to 100% it takes time for it to lock up. It's not immediate. Give it a minute and you'll hear it and see the rpms increase.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well any luck?

I am having the exact same issue. I believe I have pin pointed it to the degas cap. Like a dummy I replaced it thinking Fords cap was not the best (its on the internet so it has to be true. LOL). I am monitoring coolant pressure and have not seen high pressures or spikes under load/boost. Replaced and will continue to monitor.

Have you found out where your problem is yet?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 AM
egregg57
Elder User
this coming Monday will be my first opportunity to look into it.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Busy, busy. busy.....sounds so familiar. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Well after some monitoring of the coolant pressure and pulling the EGR valve AGAIN! I determined the EGR cooler is starting to fail. The intake was slightly damper compared to the last inspection. It is slowly pushing it out the degas bottle too. Time to get dirty and delete it I guess and a few more things as long as I'm in there.

Hopefully yours is an easy fix!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Well found some interesting stuff. In the process of looking at the truck yesterday, turning it on and off specifically, when the engine shuts down there is a loud chirp/squeak coming from the belt/pulley area. The fan did step up when commanded but there was 2 instances of varying rpm (300 +/-) with the fan clutch at high speed. I had belt dressing and applied that and I was able to eliminate the chirp/squeak. However that is a Band-Aid. I will be changing the belt out with a quality brand (your input is most welcome).

I have one more trip scheduled in mid November probably into Massachusetts. It will definitely bring me up one grade. The grade is not even close to some of the ones I saw on 81 south, but hopefully it is long enough that I will have some result I can use.

I am not discounting heads. The belt was glossy and certainly was slipping some, and that was under no load in the driveway.

Since this was intermittent on the drive home the first day and non-existent on the second day during the trip home, perhaps it is the belt. But still could be a combination of heads and belt. Or heads caused by a slipping belt...

Without towing under load, I can't tell. In any case, the truck runs perfectly while I am not towing.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Small world... brother-in-law is the Exeter Fire Chief. Wife's family is from Lee.
Cool!
Don't know how I missed this...

My brother-in-law was on the ladder for Exeter for a while. Participate in the Smelt Fry yearly. We take our fifth wheel and meet up with a group in the spring to do the first trip of the year and several of the group are on EFD.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:05 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Sounds like it could be the belt. Hopefully that is the culprit and your good to go. Good luck on your trip!

Old 12-15-2015, 12:40 PM
egregg57
Elder User
The belt may have been contributing but is not the cause.

The truck began leaking coolant some drips from somewhere, could not find the location, then on a couple of occasions pie plate or bigger sized wet spots. Okay... enough is enough...

Brought it back to the Ford trained Diesel Mechanic that worked on it (Heads Studs etc) in 2011. He wanted to know what I did to "his" truck. I informed him that I had no idea. As far as I knew I had done nothing!

He had the truck for the day to look at. Found that I have indeed a coolant leak and the valley is very wet. the coolant was filling the valley and dripping out the front.

The truck was ran, analyzed, and also pressure tested. The pressure test failed, coolant system was leaking, and the leak was found at the (a) EGR Gasket, also the Intake manifold gasket and a fuel line gasket will be replaced. I am told head gaskets appear to be fine. Oil cooler and EGR cooler are fine as well.

Fact check from you guys, Could a bad EGR gasket cause some of the symptoms I describe earlier in the original post? Is this possible? I know the guy doing the work. If he says those components need to be changed, then they do. I am wondering if I have a 2 layer problem.

I don't want to find the second layer after I hook up and tow my fifth wheel in the spring. I am sure you can understand.

Eric

Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone else was having some related issues recently with the EGR gasket, it's a recent thread. Will try to find it.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:27 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Problem solved.

So the repair was done with a twist. After disassembly, the radiator and shroud out of the way, there was coolant residue apparent around the water pump. Once removed, he brought the pump out to me. The gasket was pretty dry and looked like crap, there was a bit of side to side play in the shaft and the bearings sounded like crap. Turning the shaft you could feel the bearing in the housing.

I had the thermostat replaced (I had a new one with me) and had the turbo cleaned. After the work was done, I drove the hour home putting foot into it, checking temperature at 65, 75, and 80 mph. ECT did not move from 190f. EOT was 192, 194, and 195 respectfully. Coming to a stop at the end of the off ramp, ECT dipped to 188, and then rebounded after pulling away with about 10 psi boost.

No gurgle when I stop at the house, no mechanical squeak or squeal when the engine shut off.

I realized there was noises missing when I shut it off. Noises that shouldn't have been there. My diesel tech told me the real test is working the truck under load. On the outside chance that a failed head gasket was not detected, the labor on this job will be credited towards that repair.

That's a wicked fair deal, and a sign of confidence to me. So this guy has rebuilt my engine in 2011, and found and fixed the problems causing my coolant issues.

If you live in the Boston area, Matt Olsen at Sullivan Tire in Saugus is the person I'd be seeing about your 6.0l problems. Wish he was back here in NH but I'll travel the 50 minutes and get him to work on my truck before I'd trust anyone else.

Sorry about the shameless plug. Fair price, thorough job, and pride in what he does... that means a lot to me.

Eric

Quick Reply: Looking for some deep knowledge input. Re Coolant Loss