1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 f250 death wobble tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 PM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 f250 death wobble tires?

I am done with Ford service on my "still under warranty" pickup when it comes to death wobble. They overhauled the front end less than 500 miles ago and it helped but has gradually gotten worse to the point I can't run it any more. Can anyone recommend a tire that has helped with this problem? Currently running stock BFG rugged trail T/A 245/75R17 and would like to stay same size and a little more aggressive. Also, I see that my recently replaced track bar shock is leaking already (no doubt, a result of the wobble) and wondering what brand replacement to buy. New to the forum and did some searching - would a dual stabilizer be a help?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:47 PM
edfairway
New User
Originally Posted by 1130
I am done with Ford service on my "still under warranty" pickup when it comes to death wobble. They overhauled the front end less than 500 miles ago and it helped but has gradually gotten worse to the point I can't run it any more. Can anyone recommend a tire that has helped with this problem? Currently running stock BFG rugged trail T/A 245/75R17 and would like to stay same size and a little more aggressive. Also, I see that my recently replaced track bar shock is leaking already (no doubt, a result of the wobble) and wondering what brand replacement to buy. New to the forum and did some searching - would a dual stabilizer be a help?
I'm not sure if it your tires that are causing the wobble. In my experience it is usually that shock that does it. I have also seen a bad hub cause this. Not sure if you have 4 wheel but maybe something to check.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 AM
New User
Originally Posted by edfairway
I'm not sure if it your tires that are causing the wobble. In my experience it is usually that shock that does it. I have also seen a bad hub cause this. Not sure if you have 4 wheel but maybe something to check.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not so sure tires are it either but I need them any way so....
I have been searching around on here and I am astounded at the number of trucks with this problem.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:24 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
WC motorsports & offroad makes a replacement track bar that is supposed to cure the wobble forever, buts it's not cheap at $735.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1130
I am done with Ford service on my "still under warranty" pickup when it comes to death wobble. They overhauled the front end less than 500 miles ago and it helped but has gradually gotten worse to the point I can't run it any more.
A little more information would be helpful:

* In the process of attempting to fix the issue, what parts did the dealer replace? One person's version of an overhaul is usually different than another.

* How severe is the wobble? You seem to indicate the vehicle is not safe to drive.

* Is the problem only when you hit a pothole, drive straight, or go around a corner? What are the conditions where the wobble becomes a problem?

* Has this vehicle ever been in an accident, hit or run over something that could have caused damage to the front suspension?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 PM
New User
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
WC motorsports & offroad makes a replacement track bar that is supposed to cure the wobble forever, buts it's not cheap at $735.
Thanks ford man, your reply is exactly what I was looking for. I believe it's gotten to the point I"ll gladly spend $735. Greatly appreciate your advise.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM
New User
Originally Posted by KellyfromVA
A little more information would be helpful:

* In the process of attempting to fix the issue, what parts did the dealer replace? One person's version of an overhaul is usually different than another.

- all bushings and ball joints from steering box down (not the steering box), new track bar and stabilizer

* How severe is the wobble? You seem to indicate the vehicle is not safe to drive.

- you answered your own question here

* Is the problem only when you hit a pothole, drive straight, or go around a corner? What are the conditions where the wobble becomes a problem?

- all of the above, the worst on transition from one county's tar road to another's and washboard surfaces
* Has this vehicle ever been in an accident, hit or run over something that could have caused damage to the front suspension?
- no, but it runs on farm lanes as much as it does asphalt

Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Its really sad that Ford owners have to spend $700+ dollars with the aftermarket to try & solve this issue that has been going on for years. Ford sent a letter out saying the problem was caused by low tire pressure.

We have 4 Super Duty trucks at work. The Chevy 2500HD I normally drive was getting its yearly safety inspection, so I had to drive a 2008 SD. About 35 miles out, while towing a 8500 pounds generator, it went in to the death wobble. I've never experienced anything like it. Talk about scary!! I thought all 4 wheels were falling off. I was SO glad to get back in the Chevy!

Old 08-24-2015, 08:09 PM
New User
Originally Posted by scottscott
Its really sad that Ford owners have to spend $700+ dollars with the aftermarket to try & solve this issue that has been going on for years. Ford sent a letter out saying the problem was caused by low tire pressure.

We have 4 Super Duty trucks at work. The Chevy 2500HD I normally drive was getting its yearly safety inspection, so I had to drive a 2008 SD. About 35 miles out, while towing a 8500 pounds generator, it went in to the death wobble. I've never experienced anything like it. Talk about scary!! I thought all 4 wheels were falling off. I was SO glad to get back in the Chevy!
This is my first ford after running GMCs all my life. I did not like the way I felt like I was sitting in a hole with the dashboard high like in an airplane on the newer GMs and a few other things that seem trivial now. We have a 2000 f350 (zero death wobble model) we use daily in our operation that has been the most reliable one we've ever had and, ironically, I thought the straight front axle was a better design...so I thought I'd try a ford. I really like my ford a lot aside from this problem, but when the dealer says they can't replicate the problem (wobbled bad 3 times on way home from their shop) and that maybe my flat body should come off I feel like I am being passed off to the aftermarket.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 AM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
If you think about it, the straight front axle has been around since the first caveman put an axle between two stone wheels. The design & technology is that old. Ford needs to realize this & get in the 21st century.

We shouldn't have to spend $$$ with the aftermarket to fix problems on our new expensive trucks. Ford won't care until people start to die & they get sued for mega $$$. For now, its cheaper for them to ignore it. Just like GM with their bad ignition switches.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:21 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Ford broke it when they went to coil springs in 05. I'll put up with a reduced turning radius and never worry about a death wobble with leaf springs. Sometimes simple just works better.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
Ford broke it when they went to coil springs in 05. I'll put up with a reduced turning radius and never worry about a death wobble with leaf springs. Sometimes simple just works better.
My 1976 Ford Bronco had a straight axle and coil springs. It even had a 4" lift and 33" tires (kinda big for a little Bronco back then)

It never death wobbled.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by scottscott
If you think about it, the straight front axle has been around since the first caveman put an axle between two stone wheels. The design & technology is that old. Ford needs to realize this & get in the 21st century.

We shouldn't have to spend $$$ with the aftermarket to fix problems on our new expensive trucks. Ford won't care until people start to die & they get sued for mega $$$. For now, its cheaper for them to ignore it. Just like GM with their bad ignition switches.
You guys...really? Ford sells a gazillion of these things year after year. As has been pointed out many times, the basic Ford Super Duty design hasn't changed that much since 1999. If these trucks were all getting the "death wobble" then everyone would be rushing to buy a GM truck. But they aren't. I'm sorry you guys are having issues with your front end. It can be fixed. I've driven solid front axle trucks for years and haven't had this issue. Ford's current design of the Dana 60 / Super 60 front axle is incredibly robust. GM's IFS is not. Does it ride better, maybe handle a little better? Yes it does. Does it require maintenance, such as control arm bushings and ball joints the Ford will never see? Yes it does. Does the design have less ground clearance? Yes it does. Is an IFS front end more susceptible to pot hole damage, and having the front end go out of alignment and chew up tires? Yes it is. What about plowing? Well, a solid front axle handles a plow extremely well - the front tires remain at perfect vertical alignment. An IFS design, such as GM's design, tries to squat out the tires because both control arms can move.

The steering shock is commonly blamed for a wobble in the front end. Chances are it's more likely to be the Panhard Rod, or whatever the correct term is for the link which prevents lateral movement of the axle. That steel rod has a bushing on each end - one end goes to the frame, and the other goes to the axle. If the bushings get any play in them, the axle can shuck side to side over bumps or uneven road surfaces...giving you the feel of the death wobble. When you steer, the tie rod first has to pull the axle back into place, and then turn the wheel.

Less likely but still possible are the bushings in the radius arms - they locate the axle longitudinally so it won't move forward or backward. One end connects the axle, and the other is connected to the frame. Big bushings on both ends. Again, play here can cause a change in steering geometry.

You could replace the Ford steering damper with a "better" aftermarket, such as a Bilstein. The shock should not be leaking. But many times, the "better" aftermarkets are simply stiffer, not better.

Switching to coils in the front is a vast design improvement or front leafs.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 AM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
I agree, there are details or history not being disclosed here. It seems like the intent of the OP is to bash the design and dealerships than actually looking for assistance.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:18 AM
New User
Originally Posted by KellyfromVA
I agree, there are details or history not being disclosed here. It seems like the intent of the OP is to bash the design and dealerships than actually looking for assistance.
Your wrong on all accounts, I've got plenty to do besides playing around on the Internet listening to nonsense from individuals like you. Dealership was great to deal with except the part about not fixing the problem the 2nd time. Did you read the part where I said I liked the idea of the straight front axle?
My sincere thanks to all above who replied with helpful advice. I am going to put new tires, shocks, and the WC kit or something similar for my "made up" and "undisclosed details" problem.

Quick Reply: '12 f250 death wobble tires?