Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget (redneck) 460 dual cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Budget (redneck) 460 dual cold air intake

Except for the cost of the K&N filters, this cost less than $15. I bought a 2" PVC 45* and 90* and an ABS flange, the rest of the stuff you can reuse from the stock intake. You could probably get-away without using the 90* if you re-use the stock airbox but I had already removed mine. Seems like a much better spot for these filters than the way I had them. My only concern would be rain water at speed, but the filters sit pretty far back from the grill. It shouldn't be to hard to create some sort of baffle if it does become a problem.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 PM
88XLTLariat
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice! Any power gains or other assets?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:16 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
But...you already had a cold air intake...Now half the air you're sucking in is hot engine bay air.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
I won't be able to tell if it makes a difference or not since I just changed the ORIGINAL plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The next time I fire it up, it ought to be like a new truck.
I was sucking 100% hot engine bay air before these. The two K&Ns were sitting where the old restrictive intake box was. The factory intake may be "cold air" but its awfully restrictive. I noticed a huge increase in the throttle response with the new filters. It wouldnt be too hard to fashion a surround for the filters to keep a little more engine heat off them either. I bet I could make some old milk jugs work....haha

Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GNR22
But...you already had a cold air intake...Now half the air you're sucking in is hot engine bay air.
Agree 100%. The 460 and 4.9 have the "cold air tube" from the factory and the stock filter is rated at some astronomical amount of CFM, like 500 something

Old 08-20-2015, 06:35 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Agree 100%. The 460 and 4.9 have the "cold air tube" from the factory and the stock filter is rated at some astronomical amount of CFM, like 500 something
This!!^^^^^

Old 08-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
I cant quite glean if thats sarcasm or not Brad...mostly because I don't know this motor that well. Seems like less than 600CFM would almost be starving this motor...but I'm no engineer.
That "cold air tube" is a joke if you ask me though. Yes, they run it to the front of the truck...but then they turn it 90° and aim it at the headlight. The inlet seems way undersized as well and I know its a little debateable but those "horns" inside the intake tubes are ridiculous too. I wanted more of a ram air/cold air and the stock setup cannot match what is on there now. Just from the increase in throttle response it is obvious to me that the motor was a little starved.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
500cfm is A LOT of air and WAY more than enough for a EFI 460

Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig5_12
I cant quite glean if thats sarcasm or not Brad...mostly because I don't know this motor that well. Seems like less than 600CFM would almost be starving this motor...but I'm no engineer.
That "cold air tube" is a joke if you ask me though. Yes, they run it to the front of the truck...but then they turn it 90° and aim it at the headlight. The inlet seems way undersized as well and I know its a little debateable but those "horns" inside the intake tubes are ridiculous too. I wanted more of a ram air/cold air and the stock setup cannot match what is on there now. Just from the increase in throttle response it is obvious to me that the motor was a little starved.
Butt-o-meter has been proven wrong time and again. Your hot air intake is a joke IMHO and a complete waste of time and money.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I won't be able to tell if it makes a difference or not since I just changed the ORIGINAL plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The next time I fire it up, it ought to be like a new truck.
I was sucking 100% hot engine bay air before these. The two K&Ns were sitting where the old restrictive intake box was. The factory intake may be "cold air" but its awfully restrictive. I noticed a huge increase in the throttle response with the new filters. It wouldnt be too hard to fashion a surround for the filters to keep a little more engine heat off them either. I bet I could make some old milk jugs work....haha

I am trying to understand how you can tell the difference when you just said you won't be able to tell a difference in throttle response since replacing everything.

Although I respect you trying to make something better I have seen multiple trucks that run "cold air intakes" (like yours) including 460s that do not run any different with the "cold air intake" then with the stock.

Besides a redneck would have the intake running out the hood or fender up the side of the windsehield like davids farm truck! LOL
nothing like a snorkel on a redneck mud truck.
Trav

Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
If you look closely at the pics, there aren't any belts on it. I've not ran it in its current configuration. Previously the two K&Ns were sitting over by where the stock airbox was...the old pic is in the gallery in my signature. That setup was worse than whats on it now in my opinion as it got almost all engine bay heat...the stock cold air tube was still there. Even with the previous setup the throttle response was much quicker...which certainly leads me to believe it was the restrictive intake...although I suppose it could have just been an old plugged filter since everything else on this truck was pretty old anyway. Too late now because this is what I've got.
The air thats being gathered is the same air that the stock setup was getting except now its filtered immediately on two sides of the grill and is only restricted to 2" and fed directly into the intake. I cant figure out how that's a bad thing?

Old 08-21-2015, 06:44 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
...in my opinion...
You know what they say about opinions...
But seriously, the stock stuff was way better than what you've cobbled together. That's a fact.
It pulls cold air from the grille of the truck not from behind the grille like you have there.
You sound very unsure of your own results. Not knowing if a plugged filter was the problem, or if your tune up was really the improvement. Having multiple variables in an experiment leads to inconclusive results. Exhibit A, what we have here.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
460s like dense, cool air --- density is what gives you increased oxygen content and helps the engine run more efficiently and with increased output. I like what you've done, but if you can extend the design to reduce intake of warm, less dense (comparatively) engine compartment air you'll be much better in the long run.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Holy crap the truck can do wheelies and 11 second 1/4 miles, I have so much power now...
In reality, I don't really notice a difference from the old K&N setup. Throttle response is still stellar but I cant vouch for increased power or MPG...maybe one day I'll get the headers and no cat exhaust to go with the intake.
The new plugs, wires, cap and rotor certainly have the beast running very smoothly now since I don't think they'd ever been replaced.
The new HD Gates belt and accessory belt and tensioner will ensure it keeps running and the new hub, wheel bearings, rotor, caliper and pads will ensure I can still stop...you know..after the wheelies and all that...

Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I read the tread title I thought I would see a bunch of beer cans duct taped together. Glad I didn't. Time will tell about your MPG's.

Quick Reply: Budget (redneck) 460 dual cold air intake