1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Sachs or Luk clutch kits.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Charlie Tee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sachs or Luk clutch kits.

Have a B2300 with 160k miles and a leaking rear main seal. I am going to replace the flywheel with the Luk, and am looking at the Luk 07-140 clutch kit. Also the Luk slave.

I hear the slave is a weak link with the Ranger/B series truck.

After looking at RockAuto and PartsGeek have to offer the Sachs is a self adjusting clutch. It is more expensive but not prohibitively that much more.

Is it worth the money for the Sachs? Or should I just go with what came in the truck which I assume it is a Luk system? I certainly like the looks of the Sachs or Dorman slaves compared to the Luk.

For sure I would like to get a better if possible slave than the OEM Luk

And suggestions with either of these clutches and slaves for the Ranger/B series would be greatly appreciated as I plan on keeping this truck and would like to get the most service life possible on any labor intensive repairs like the clutch.

Oh and any other seals or hoses that I should replace while I have it apart would also be appreciated. Really do not like doing things twice.

Last edited by Charlie Tee; 08-18-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: tyop
Old 08-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have been using the autozone parts in my 94. work well and they stand behind the lifetime warranty. Now includes the slave as well as the clutch system. I replaced the slave with a name brand and it just didn't last, so went with one from orielly along with their master and it was ok. Just had a new system installed when I thought I had a leaking rear main, turned out to be the intake and valley cover along with some from the valve covers. The way it looked the main was leaking but when everything pulled it was dry! Also the pan gasket was seeping so I had all R&Rd they only loosened the engine enough to get pan off. Had them replace the oil pump while it was accessable.

What I have found out is if you replace the slave the master will soon follow and vice versa. So I got a new flywheel, and clutch kit (free) from autozone, also got a new slave and master from them. They pretty much lifetime all major parts so I also have a water pump from them. Check U-joiints while drive shaft is out, might be a good time to R&R them also. New tranny and diff fluids

Old 08-21-2015, 12:01 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I prefer LUK. Chances are that is what Ford put in it from the factory. All the new hydraulic clutches are self adjusting.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Charlie Tee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to the original owner who is an older gentleman. He told me that the clutch has never been replaced so the Luk clutch really is not a bad unit if driven easy I would assume in this case anyway.

Pretty much several of the things that go wrong with the Ranger/B series trucks are wrong with mine. Pinion seal leaking, radiator needs to be replaced. Runs like a top, looks sharp, interior ain't all beat up. Even the radio sounds great.

Was going to buy a full size truck but got a deal I just could not refuse. Was going to just flip it to make some money to buy a newer truck. Drove nice and the gas mileage compared to the F150 I have been driving for 5 years was the reason I decided to keep it.

Guess I will make sure to check for oil leaks coming from up top before I jump in there and do the clutch.

Looking like 160k for the OEM Luk is probably the way I will go.

Thank you for the reply's.