Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Turbo charge it

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 AM
treyw147
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo charge it

Well guys, I've got a serious question here.
So I'm a mechanic for the army, basically a glorified parts changer. But I know my way around a block, but I still have questions. From time to time we get are hands on parts, tools, ect... This time I got a turbo that came off a diesel hummve. My question is, would this turbo work in a gas truck? And what all would I have to do to my V10 engine so I could run this turbo?
Thank you

Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
My guess would be no. Those turbos are designed to provide boost at a very specific rpm range. A diesel starts to fly apart at the rpm range that the v10 likes to live. You might be able to swap the impellers to get the right speeds, but I think the cost associated with it might end up being more than that of a new turbo. :/

I like the out of the box thinking though. :thumbs

Old 07-31-2015, 04:42 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
And!

Even if you had a properly sized/fitted turbocharger, you would still need:

-intercooler
-custom air ducting to the intercooler
-custom air ducting to the turbo
-custom air ducting from intercooler to engine
-custom exhaust piping
-custom engine tune/chip
- upgraded injectors
- upgraded fuel pump
- custom mass air sensor
- custom oil feed and return lines
- custom coolant feed and return lines

Turbochargers are like women: real sexy at a glance, but an investigative deeper look tones it down considerably.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 AM
StangMan
Senior User
Well, I'll go the other way since I build turbo systems for a living, lol.

I'm not familiar with this particular part, so first thing is get a model number and find a compressor map for this turbo. With this you can plug in with some real simple math to see if it is compatible for the usage of your truck, ie if you've got a rock crawler a turbo is pointless as it's a restriction that will never spool, lol, vs if you're towing up hills or at altitude then a turbo is perfect.

Anywho, I ramble. So compressor maps are actually easy to read, you need to know boost pressure ratio (basically how much 'boost' do you want to run in PSI, so 6psi is a pressure ratio of 1.41, 10psi (too much for a tow vehicle without changing your engine's internals or a really conservative tune) is a PR of 1.68, etc. Next, you need to know your engine's potential air consumption in lbs/min, which is a little snarky since it depends not only on the engine's displacement and max RPM (potential CFM intake at sea level basically), but also boost pressure, air temp at intake, and the fun part is taking into consideration air temp at intake is post-turbocharger, and turbos make a LOT of heat, so while ambient may be 80 degrees F a typical 72% efficient turbo (ideal boost island on the compressor map) could heat the discharge air up to as much as 190 degrees F @ 9psi, and hot air equals less dense air.

Clear as mud, right? In other words, once you find the turbo's model number, we can probably find the compressor map online and real quick tell you if it'll work for your application, lol.

But what Im50fast said, there's a bit of fabrication involved, but if you work at the base repair facility you probably know a few welders and fabricators who can help with most stuff, then find out who your local SCT tuner is and see what MAF/etc they prefer (every tuner is different, but most folks like the generic 80mm or 90mm tubes for their simplicity and ease of tuning, plus super simple to plumb into the intake track).

Check out the post in this forum by Mike at 5 Star Tuning, he started a turbo project with a remote mount setup that pretty well sums everything up and has some good pics of what you'd need to fab.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2015, 04:26 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
All that wonderful information about turbochargers is useless without all the custom parts I mentioned

With that said, i would love to see you succeed.