1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring up Reverse Lights

Howdy!

Truck: 2011 f250 Lariat

Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 7" 36W Led Light Bar 2520lm Flood for Pickup Jeep New Off road offroad Suv 4x4 4WD Boat UTV: Automotive Amazon.com: Auxbeam? 2Pcs 7" 36W Led Light Bar 2520lm Flood for Pickup Jeep New Off road offroad Suv 4x4 4WD Boat UTV: Automotive

I picked up a set of those bad boys and want to set them up as auxiliary reverse lights on my truck.

I have a few options as far as how to wire them:

1. Tap into the reverse lights right at the tail lights and ground them to the chassis in the rear.

2. Tap into the 7 pin trailer hitch connector (center pin) and once again ground to chassis.

3. Run a primary wire from the front to the back, put in a relay and tap into the reverse lights to trigger the relay to fire these lights up.

I know most people would say a relay is the right option, and I agree.

In doing research, I have read about some people having issues tapping into the reverse lights directly and causing the BCM to freak out.

Am I being overly paranoid? Obviously option 1 is the fastest and easiset, but I'm worried now about either blowing fuses or causing some other weird computer issue.

Anyone care to help push me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
I personally put them on an upfitter, and control when they are on.

I obviously don't need them in the day. And I wanted the ability to have them on, when say setting up at a camp site or working, without the truck being in gear.

I love them this way. And it's worth the extra work.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by auburngrad

I obviously don't need them in the day. And I wanted the ability to have them on, when say setting up at a camp site or working, without the truck being in gear.

I did it this way also, Got some nice LED lights on ebay, plus 9W reverse bulbs from Retro, it's like daylight back there!

Old 08-15-2015, 05:43 AM
nagetech
Tuned
I had considered doing it this way, but figured I just wanted them to turn on when I went into reverse

Old 08-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by auburngrad

I plan to do this too. Like you said, don't need the extra light every time I back up and not a big deal to flip an upfitter switch. I also want them to be usable when NOT in reverse, again, like you said for hooking trailers, working, campsites, etc...

What I also would like to do I wire the cab cargo light to a switch so it can be on while hooking up my fifth wheel WITHOUT the interior lights on making a glare on the back window.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ginther
I plan to do this too. Like you said, don't need the extra light every time I back up and not a big deal to flip an upfitter switch. I also want them to be usable when NOT in reverse, again, like you said for hooking trailers, working, campsites, etc...

What I also would like to do I wire the cab cargo light to a switch so it can be on while hooking up my fifth wheel WITHOUT the interior lights on making a glare on the back window.
Maybe you could install bed lights on another upfitter switch to assist with your fifth wheel hookup? I put a set under the rails and it is amazing how much light it puts out!

I also put a set in my tool box, but putting it across the front of the bed might work.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Trophy_23
Maybe you could install bed lights on another upfitter switch to assist with your fifth wheel hookup? I put a set under the rails and it is amazing how much light it puts out!
That's a nice option too. I'll put that on my short list.

I'm also curious to see how people are mounting their reverse lights. I want them tucked up out of the way, maybe hidden a little.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ginther
That's a nice option too. I'll put that on my short list.

I'm also curious to see how people are mounting their reverse lights. I want them tucked up out of the way, maybe hidden a little.
Ask and you shall receive... Here are my 18W ebay LED's hooked up to an upfitter.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:49 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Another option would be to mount one of the light strips that mount just under your tailgate and illuminate for running lights, turn signals, brake lights and reverse lights. They do a pretty good job of providing additional backing up light at night.

My concern with tapping into the standard reverse light for any kind of a larger light or set of lights is the light gauge wiring that Ford runs for power to the reverse lights.

Unless you are also running with a relay and the actual power is coming off of the battery. Then you could tap into the reverse light as a trigger to activate the replay turning on the lights.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:56 PM
auburngrad
Senior User

Same idea, maybe just a little wider. Used a set of existing holes for part of it, and had to drill through to access the top side

Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Larry Straight
Junior User
I like having a switch on the rear lights so that when some idiot comes up behind you with high beams on then you can send them a message!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:40 AM
nagetech
Tuned
Just wanted to report back, I got those lights I mentioned in my first post installed! I wired them up to the 7 pin trailier harness, and all is well. They are bright as hell!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys On to my next project!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by nagetech
Just wanted to report back, I got those lights I mentioned in my first post installed! I wired them up to the 7 pin trailier harness, and all is well. They are bright as hell!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys On to my next project!
Pics or it didn't happen :P

Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM
nagetech
Tuned
How Silly of me! Here is the pic with them installed They are a bit ovrerkill for reverse lights, but they are kick ***!!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by nagetech
How Silly of me! Here is the pic with them installed They are a bit ovrerkill for reverse lights, but they are kick ***!!
Those look great! I absolutely love mine, as you can tell by my post earlier in the thread, such a huge help at night!

Quick Reply: Wiring up Reverse Lights