What do you carry just in case?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:58 AM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 364 Likes on 133 Posts
Normally carry a LC9 on my hip and keep my Snake Charmer and my Circuit Judge under the bed in the trailer. 30' 10,000 lbs tow strap, a cheap Klutch brand tool kit (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", comb wrenchs, screw drivers) 6 Ton hydraulic bottle jack, Snap On 3/8 battery impact, 4 way, jumper cables.

If I have to I'll fix it but really would rather just call for a tow any more.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:46 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
An exact list is pointless, all depends on rig, skill, room, trip, etc. A few things not mentioned worth thinking about though....

-In general I try to work on my rig using the tools/supplies and equipment I keep in the rig. This keeps me in practice with the stuff I carry and if I need something not in the rig already then I consider adding it.

-There's exceptions to this, for example I don't keep anti-freeze in the rig but instead only distilled water. Anti-freeze takes up a lot of space and has one use. The same volume of distilled water has many more uses and can replace anti-freeze until I can buy some.

-I'm picky about what I carry, again space, quality, and multiple uses is important. Tape is a good example, I don't bother with "normal" duct tape, but instead only carry the 3" wide guerilla tape. Also a key tape product I recommend and don't see mentioned is often called rescue tape. It's a silicone tape that has no adhesive but instead adheres to itself when stretched. By far the most versatile tape product I've ever used, the only thing that can really seal a radiator hose, as well as a cut, just kinda expensive.

-A reflective vest, odds are good if you have an issue it will be on the side of the road and likely in poor light. A vest is easy to carry and toss on before getting out so others can see you better.

-I see reflectors mentioned but not road flares. Reflectors and lights are great cause they're reusable but nothing gets people's attention like road flares and they have other uses, heat a part or easily start a fire for example.

-Head lamps and stationary lighting like magnetic or clamp lights over normal flashlights.

-Rechargeable batteries and a 12V charger over normal alkalines.

-Many may have these in there trailer, but worth mentioning or adding. A power converter/charger (110VAC to 14VDC) and a generator. I added to my rig with my power inverter a 40A converter and at times toss in a little 800W generator. This gives me great flexibility, I can charge the truck from the generator or outlet, and when I need more then 800W for a tool or something I use the big inverter instead of carrying a large generator.

-Don't forget tools for your tools as well, gun oil and tools, knife sharpener, lube for tools(big tri-flo fan), a spare cord end, etc.

-Harbor freight has a nice little 12V compressor for about $20 I'm very happy with, I've bought 5 or 6 of them, put them in everyone's trunk. I have some I've worked rather hard for 6-7 years, they're slow, takes about 20 min to fill one my 37" tires, but they do it every time. This one, looks like the price went up. http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100...sor-69284.html

-Big fan of these gloves as well over many other options http://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-k...rge-66374.html Thin and grippy enough for most work you'd use medical type gloves for but tougher, more resistant to chemicals, and your hands don't sweat. Rather reusable and washable, not quite mechanics gloves but for the price I don't mind tossing them.

-EDIT just noticed KW7DSP beat to some of this.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:14 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I keep a large candle and lighter along with blankets in the winter. The candle can keep you from freezing to death