1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Sd axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:02 PM
dcelrod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sd axle swap

I have a 97 f350 cclb drw. I am wandering on swapping a sd axle in the rear what is needed go be done in the front to do the conversion it is a 2wheel drive.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To do it right, remachine your hubs which is what I'd prefer. Been wanting to do this for a long time for rear discs, but have yet to have it done...

10.5 SuperDuty Rear Hubs to 8 on 6.5 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-on-6-5-a.html

Remember the pinion input will be different too, you can run to spicer and get a hybrid joint or just have the 10.25 input swapped to the 10.5.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
dcelrod
Senior User
What has to be done for the front of the truck? Will the superduty rotors and calipers bolt up to the obs hardware or???

Old 08-11-2015, 03:01 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
You said it was a 2wd, you already have front discs and an 8x6.5" pattern. So leave it alone, run your factory alcoas or steelies for the OBS. What I linked was a SD rear axle swap that retains the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern, and gains your rear disk brakes and typicall a 3.73 rear ratio. You likely have 4.10s in your truck. What is the ratio in that dual SD rear? I may have missed it, but is it even a dual SD rear or a single wheel rear.

If you don't care what bolt pattern you are to use, then you will have to buy a set of rear duals for the SD axle. and carry a spare for the front and rear and never be able to rotate. Doesn't seem like that is your goal though.

The other option is to get a kit from Branik Motorsports for the front but they are not cheap.

I'd suggest for reasons of costs to retain your factory OBS wheels and only modify the rear and leave the front alone, otherwise you are looking at the costs of modifying the front and buying a spare set of wheels for the 8x170 bolt pattern.

I am not quite sure what your end game is here, but lets back up a few steps and let me ask why are you putting the SD rear dual in? Or what is your goal?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:23 PM
dcelrod
Senior User
My truck is a drw I want to change it to srw and run the sd wheels. Sd wheels Wont bolt up to obs front hardware will it?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
OOOOOOOOOO K, Way different than what I thought. No they will absolutely won't. To be honest I'm sure there are a few kits out there for 2wd trucks. I will have to fall off here as I am only familiar with 4wd front coonversions... not 2wd.

Dieselbrad and a couple others will be much more helpful with the 2wd than I will.

My suggestion would simply be to run a 8x6.5 to 8x170mm adapter up front, swap in the rear SRW axle and SD rims and call it a day, but I'm not sure if its as easy as that, but I do not see why not... Someone will correct me if not.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:35 PM
dcelrod
Senior User
OK thanks.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Tyler.172
Senior User
If you want a superduty front end (leaf spring) to fit you need to check out pmfrsk they have a kit for our trucks to run that axle the SD axles have an offset

Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will have to verify, but there may be a set of wheels you can just bolt right on as it sits now to go over to SRW.

I have a buddy who owns a chevy that he did this to. I figure it would work the same on our trucks.

The military "hummer" wheels are 8x6.5 if I remember correctly. You should be able to just bolt them on to your axles and create a SRW because the lack of offset they have.

I know that I have to recenter the wheels, or run a 3.5" spacer to bolt them to my SRW truck. They are pretty cheap to. I over paid for mine, but I got 4 brand new wheels and tires for 900 bucks. you would probably want to buy separate tires though because the stock ones are 37x12.5R16.5.

I choose this route because the tires are cheap to buy through surplus dealers. I can pick them up for as little as 60 bucks with little to no wear.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 AM
dcelrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vertrees
I will have to verify, but there may be a set of wheels you can just bolt right on as it sits now to go over to SRW.

I have a buddy who owns a chevy that he did this to. I figure it would work the same on our trucks.

The military "hummer" wheels are 8x6.5 if I remember correctly. You should be able to just bolt them on to your axles and create a SRW because the lack of offset they have.

I know that I have to recenter the wheels, or run a 3.5" spacer to bolt them to my SRW truck. They are pretty cheap to. I over paid for mine, but I got 4 brand new wheels and tires for 900 bucks. you would probably want to buy separate tires though because the stock ones are 37x12.5R16.5.

I choose this route because the tires are cheap to buy through surplus dealers. I can pick them up for as little as 60 bucks with little to no wear.
I was looking at those military tires last nite I like the look of them but would I have to put a lift on my truck to fit those or do they make them smaller?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Vertrees

I'm not sure how that would look. Most military style H1 beadlocks run between 7" and 7.25" of backspacing. The wheel center is almost to the outer lip of the rim. With a stock backspacing, and even with 4.5" of back spacing on my MTs, I'm curious how far the rear will truly stick out. Interesting idea though. Sure would like to see how it looks! If it worked on the cheby, I'd bet it would be close on the FERD.

If you go this route, you will absolutely need a 3-3.5" spacer up front to try to get them back to near stock. EDIT: NOT TRUE... FORGOT IT IS A DRW TRUCK AS IT SITS NOW

I guess I really don't follow what the end goal is here. I thought he wanted to run SD wheels with a SRW rearend, and therefore just wanted to swap the rear axle out and convert the front? What is my thick head missing? Running 8x6.5 wheels and converting to a SRW would be much easier and cheaper.

I have a few sets of the 37x12.50s.... where the heck are you getting them for 60$$$ sure wish I could find that here!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 AM
dcelrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by nossliw
I'm not sure how that would look. Most military style H1 beadlocks run between 7" and 7.25" of backspacing. The wheel center is almost to the outer lip of the rim. With a stock backspacing, and even with 4.5" of back spacing on my MTs, I'm curious how far the rear will truly stick out. Interesting idea though. Sure would like to see how it looks! If it worked on the cheby, I'd bet it would be close on the FERD.

If you go this route, you will absolutely need a 3-3.5" spacer up front to try to get them back to near stock.

I guess I really don't follow what the end goal is here. I thought he wanted to run SD wheels with a SRW rearend, and therefore just wanted to swap the rear axle out and convert the front? What is my thick head missing? Running 8x6.5 wheels and converting to a SRW would be much easier and cheaper.

I have a few sets of the 37x12.50s.... where the heck are you getting them for 60$$$ sure wish I could find that here!
I do want to use the superduty wheels but they are not 8×6.5 so if I converted it to srw I would have to drill the rear hubs and change it to the obs bolt pattern to run 8×6.5 and wouldn't be using superduty wheels or I can put a superduty srw axle under the rear or use an obs srw rear axle and drill it to the superduty bolt pattern I was originally wanting to know what I needed to do for the front to run superduty wheels since its a 2wheeld drive truck without using spacers. Do I just use the front rotors off a superduty or are they the same as an obs that has the bearings inside them and will they even fit on an obs. But I also like the look of the military tires also not so much the wheels though. I was just wandering what options I had.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:11 AM
dcelrod
Senior User
Also it the military wheels would bolt up to the factory drw rear axle wouldn't they work on the front also with the factory dually spacer that's already on the front or are you saying it would need an additional 3-31/2" of back space?

Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dcelrod
I do want to use the superduty wheels but they are not 8×6.5 so if I converted it to srw I would have to drill the rear hubs and change it to the obs bolt pattern to run 8×6.5 and wouldn't be using superduty wheels or I can put a superduty srw axle under the rear or use an obs srw rear axle and drill it to the superduty bolt pattern I was originally wanting to know what I needed to do for the front to run superduty wheels since its a 2wheeld drive truck without using spacers. Do I just use the front rotors off a superduty or are they the same as an obs that has the bearings inside them and will they even fit on an obs. But I also like the look of the military tires also not so much the wheels though. I was just wandering what options I had.
Gotcha, well like I said I am not too familiar with the 2wd front ends, but I do know the front hub on the SD is a contained unit and bolts to the spindle where the OBS trucks use a non contained unit and inner and out bearings, washer/axlenut...this is for the 4wds, not sure about the 2wd.

I know for a fact there is not swapping components between the two in 4wds, you have to modify either or to fit the other.

I keep spacing that this is a drw truck to start with. I do believe he is correct, that just popping the H1 military wheels on the current dually spacers will work just fine. I bet they stick out maybe and inch or two more but it will look aggressive for sure. Nice thing is you can always go back to 8x6.5 dual when you want without any major modification. I sort of want to try this out on my buddies DRW now with the spare wheels and tires in the shop.

Mind me asking why you want to run 170mm over 6.5" wheels, or is my thick head missing that?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM
dcelrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by nossliw
Gotcha, well like I said I am not too familiar with the 2wd front ends, but I do know the front hub on the SD is a contained unit and bolts to the spindle where the OBS trucks use a non contained unit and inner and out bearings, washer/axlenut...this is for the 4wds, not sure about the 2wd.

I know for a fact there is not swapping components between the two in 4wds, you have to modify either or to fit the other.

I keep spacing that this is a drw truck to start with. I do believe he is correct, that just popping the H1 military wheels on the current dually spacers will work just fine. I bet they stick out maybe and inch or two more but it will look aggressive for sure. Nice thing is you can always go back to 8x6.5 dual when you want without any major modification. I sort of want to try this out on my buddies DRW now with the spare wheels and tires in the shop.

Mind me asking why you want to run 170mm over 6.5" wheels, or is my thick head missing that?
I just like the wheels on the new trucks is the only reason I guess I could just use an adapter to change the lug pattern but I would like to have disc brakes and a higher rear gear. My truck has the 4:10 and it sucks on the highway.
I would like to see pics of the h1 wheels on your buddys truck that would make up my mind on that. Is his a dually?

Quick Reply: Sd axle swap