1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Now we just have to get you more air!!!!!! .

You going to mod my firewall for a big snail like you have? LOL I wonder how a turbo like yours would act with I's pulling 18K?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:59 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
This is just getting beyond epic!! TWO major projects....whoot!

Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is epic. Should be a couple of good builds. Glenn I highly doubt you will max out your ones with two tunes. The stage two tunes should have a shorter injection time which won't allow the stage ones to empty. An 80% nozzle will require a lot almost have the injection time of a stock nozzle.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by BBslider001
This is just getting beyond epic!! TWO major projects....whoot!

That's for sure Byron! It still hasn't sank in yet, LOL

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
This is epic. Should be a couple of good builds. Glenn I highly doubt you will max out your ones with two tunes. The stage two tunes should have a shorter injection time which won't allow the stage ones to empty. An 80% nozzle will require a lot almost have the injection time of a stock nozzle.

Thanks, I don't know what to think about it. It will be interesting what the other two turners say.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:42 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
I believe Travis would say its not enough fuel to spool the snail properly.

I know the smokier tow tune vs the dd and tow tune of the other guys...the smokier wins hands down except the trans gets overwhelmed lol

When im in the spooling range of the turbo(over about 1700) i dont really have egt issues.

Im only at very best pulling half what you pull tho. I have 3.55s and 285 tires wich slaughter my potential. If we upgrade campers down the line I will do 4.10s . im just not into long trips in clifford unloaded when i can be rockin the town car lol

Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Yeah, Nate, but I'm not sure if we'll stay at your place or do something else. My brother-in-law has a pop-up, but I've never gotten him to let me use it even though I work on his junk all the time.

Edit: Heather got so excited last night when I told her what was going on, lol.
No problem Phil, just let me know. If you're thinking of camping or staying in a hotel for a couple nights, I can tell you what places to go to or stay away from!

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I sent the injectors to Jim and the turbo to James Barder today. I left a note in each box where to send them and when they call for payment I'll tell them to give me a tracking number. Aaron, tomorrow I'll get the up pipes, pedestal and drain plate and get them ready to send to you. Also tomorrow I'll switch wheels on the two trucks and get the air bags.

Today we did the final run to the salvation army and auction place with the last of the stuff. DONE DONE DONE, It doesn't really look like there could be much in the trailer but the one I took a picture of on the inside has a ledge on the side. I put boards across making shelfs and stacked stuff to the ceiling. When the mule hauled it several years ago I knew I had a load on. That thing was very, very heavy!!
Good deal, Glenn. Sounds like it was a productive weekend.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Sounds good Kevin, thanks.

On a side note, I asked Gearhead, Tony and Powerstruck for reburns. Also ordered the headlights .
Very good. It's all on the list.

Originally Posted by tshrager
Well boys, I've been back and forth with Glenn since this catastrophe happened and we spoke again not long ago. I'm happy to announce that we came to an agreement and the Mare WILL live again! The plan as of now, is to put my motor/trans and interior into the Mare. Oh along with a fresh painted frame I have at the hillbillys and a D60 install! None of the transformation will start until spring at the earliest, but the ideas have already been swirling. It sickens me that this had to happen to our resident Santa, but rest assured, I'll take good care of her!
This is going to be cool to see. If you decide to part with the PSD from the Mare, I may know a guy that could use one eventually.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohhh Todd's purchase is official!!!

haha it must be the weekend for buying.... because I just heard last night around 6 that the sellers accepted my offer! Assuming inspection goes well tomorrow night I will be the owner of my own 2 acres with a 3 car garage come September 18th!

Which means I more than likely won't be able to make this... I could be insane and try to prep for moving AND make a 16 hour weekend trip, but more than likely not. lol
Sorry all! I know Glenn will be taken care of.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Congrats Alex! That's pretty exciting. Rock on!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Congrats Alex! That's pretty exciting. Rock on!

+1. Well done Alex!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Ohhh Todd's purchase is official!!!

haha it must be the weekend for buying.... because I just heard last night around 6 that the sellers accepted my offer! Assuming inspection goes well tomorrow night I will be the owner of my own 2 acres with a 3 car garage come September 18th!

Which means I more than likely won't be able to make this... I could be insane and try to prep for moving AND make a 16 hour weekend trip, but more than likely not. lol
Sorry all! I know Glenn will be taken care of.
First off, congratulations! It's the best and worst thing all rolled into one. Lol.

Secondly, you're a young man. Buck up and make the trip!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to ask the possibly stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyways... why not swap engines? Why not take the engine from the old truck and put it in the blue truck? Doing head studs and valve springs alone will take longer than an engine swap takes.. since there is a time crunch and what I'm reading is a hell of a lot of work in that amount of time. You would save a lot of time swapping engines and doing any new part installs on the engine before installing it in the truck.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked that too, Travis, I think the mileage difference between the 2 engines is the biggest contributing factor. Blue Ox is still under 100k.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro

I think the final decision was based on mileage, like Thomas said. Plus the new engine is a cleans slate: no fire damage

Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

OK fellas...... I emailed ARP tech support and asked if the head studs can be re-used.
Folowing is the answer I received today.

"Brian,

The studs can be reused as long as they haven’t been over torqued or damaged in some way.

Best regards,

Alan Nichols
Sales & Technical"

Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I hate to ask the possibly stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyways... why not swap engines? Why not take the engine from the old truck and put it in the blue truck? Doing head studs and valve springs alone will take longer than an engine swap takes.. since there is a time crunch and what I'm reading is a hell of a lot of work in that amount of time. You would save a lot of time swapping engines and doing any new part installs on the engine before installing it in the truck.

If this is starting to look like to much work we can always change our minds. I would rather have the low mileage motor done but I don't expect a bunch of guys to do all this work either based on what I want.

Originally Posted by 91 Dually
OK fellas...... I emailed ARP tech support and asked if the head studs can be re-used.
Folowing is the answer I received today.

"Brian,

The studs can be reused as long as they haven’t been over torqued or damaged in some way.

Best regards,

Alan Nichols
Sales & Technical"

Thanks for that Brian!

JP & Thomas, you are both right but see above my answer to Travis.

Nate, I always wanted a motor to tear apart and rebuild but will probably never get to it.

Quick Reply: The building of "Babe the Blue Ox"