1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Garage Recombuberation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:47 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Garage Recombuberation

As you may recall I've done some bragging on my new garage
Let me just say it ain't all that easy to get it put back together as a working garage. - My new garage is about three time bigger than my old garage and I still have my old garage attached to the back of the new one
I've been trying to place things in a logical (right) position with room to work, ancillary equipment close by, storage, etc.
Metal working area, assemble old drill press with new vice on opposite end, room for my stump with anvil, shelves for tools ie: chucks, drills, metal forming tools, welders and work benches. - It's a dance getting things positioned with working room available
Then sorting the STUFF for my 48 panel, 46 coupe and the 52 xF-2, building storage racks, shelves, cabinets and such - Plus I have to keep the 97 Exploder, the mowers and the dog going - Somewhere in there is house work, fixing my injuries
All the above is worked around my disabilities
Every time I walk into the garage I stand there and stare and try to figure out what's next, every time I leave the garage I'm shaking my head - At the rate I'm going I'll start building my next one in two to three years

Not quite crying, just frustrated as hell

Thanks for the whine time

Old 07-31-2015, 06:21 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yup, I always thought if I had a bigger shop, I'd have more room. Not true, cause now with the bigger shop, I have more tools and equipment. And more "projects".
I have several sheds for parts and stuff I don't use much, and also try to keep all of the non shop stuff somewhere else. That helps.

Keep after it...

Old 07-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you're giving enough respect to the FACT that any alteration of a garage is a deep-rooted identity issue for a man. These things have to be approached with care and sensitivity.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
Yup, I always thought if I had a bigger shop, I'd have more room. Not true, cause now with the bigger shop, I have more tools and equipment. And more "projects".
I have several sheds for parts and stuff I don't use much, and also try to keep all of the non shop stuff somewhere else. That helps.

Keep after it...
Originally Posted by Nuthin
I don't think you're giving enough respect to the FACT that any alteration of a garage is a deep-rooted identity issue for a man. These things have to be approached with care and sensitivity.
I agree with both comments. I've been looking for property in another state and just today found one (actually, my wife found it) that has a 1600 sq ft garage/shop with 3 garage doors and a side door and has 220 volt power already. I'm trying to imagine how I would lay out the shop, where I would install the lift and how best to arrange the tools I already have to make the best use of the space. The ad says 6 vehicles can be kept inside... but that's not how I would lay it out.

Keep after it. Give yourself some time to think about it. Once you decide how to do it, go get r done.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To large a shop, to many parts, to many tools, what horrible problem to have, just horrible. Don't worry Dick, maybe it's like a new pair of shoes, something you need, but doesn't feel quite rite when you first try them on. I bet in no time your beautiful new shop will be humming rite along and feel like you've had it your whole life. Please post some pic's when you have it the way you like. PS I'm happy for you.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Golly but how my heart bleeds for you in your current circumstance (LOL) Now you have room for more toys , it will fill up in no time and everything will find it's place .

Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
A new big shop that you bragged about now is your complaint? I envy you boys in the country. Im in the suburbs and cant build anywhere. The garage has to store the tools and parts so they arent stolen. So im working outside with the Ants Snakes oh and yes the latest is Bees.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I will get out the pictures of when I built the shop (1200sq ft) with nothing in it and then look at it now and just crap. oh well. The only thing I need is a hoist but I did not plan for that soooo. It is nice to have storage i guess.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Nuthin
There ya go - I didn't put any care and sensitivity into it - I just called the contractor and said build the damn thing - I'll have to start thinking with my real head instead or my garage head (Do I have one of those?)

Old 08-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Congrats on the shop! I too moved from jersey to PA had all my stuff in storage ( unfortunately had to get rid of a lot of stuff) when I moved I had to build a garage I did 36x38 (always go bigger! Lol) now it's stuffed I ended up by a Amish built prefab for quads and mowers and also another truck! Anyway no stress take your time and enjoy your projects!!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
A new big shop that you bragged about now is your complaint? I envy you boys in the country. Im in the suburbs and cant build anywhere. The garage has to store the tools and parts so they arent stolen. So im working outside with the Ants Snakes oh and yes the latest is Bees.
I'm with you there. I feel terrible for you guys who have such large work areas, you can't figure out how to use them ! LOL
Put everything on wheels so you change with the project. Works for me.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels are good. I have them on both my tablesaws, jointer, big planer and the spare cab I'm dinkin around with. Unfortunately at 30 x 30 if I move every thing out of the way to pull a car in there isn't much room left. Too much other stuff I guess.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
STUFF is the problem - What STUFF do I have - What STUFF do I need - What STUFF do I want - What STUFF can I put in that changes it from a garage to a shop
Don't ask a women about STUFF they don't understand it, They have necessities - Big difference - Can't even be a discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
STUFF is the problem - What STUFF do I have - What STUFF do I need - What STUFF do I want - What STUFF can I put in that changes it from a garage to a shop
Don't ask a women about STUFF they don't understand it, They have necessities - Big difference - Can't even be a discussion
I hear ya!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I can relate. I built a 30x40 shop which seemed like a lot of room. My wood working equipment took took up about a quarter of the building, but I spread it out for more working room. Then I bought more equipment, and a couple years later I bought Edith. Now I had a bit less room. I remarried a couple years later and the new wife had a lot of 'stuff', so I lost some more room.
With my COPD getting worse, I stopped doing wood working, and last year I sold off all of the equipment....more room! Then this spring I bought Dollie and now I am losing more and more space.
I cleared another quarter acre behind the house, someday another pole barn.

Quick Reply: New Garage Recombuberation