Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

August Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My over 40 son used to be one of those. His 2 year old 4 Runner had some body work done due to his off road shenanigans plus I had to pull him out of the lake shore when he got stuck up to the frame. His winch cable didn't reach anything solid.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Southern Bronco
You'd be surprised at how many (kids) that will take a nice truck and destroy them.
Like cutting holes in the bed for the 18 wheeler stacks

Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing surprises me anymore. From seeing Slicks that have lowered, jacked up, and all other kinds of alterations it's all the same. I may not agree with what they have done, but others don't understand traditionalist like me that puts them back like they were when new. Just keep reviving the trucks anyway you can, it's a lost art.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
I just want mine to look nice and be mechanically sound. I don't expect it to be show quality but don't want a rust bucket either.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Southern Bronco
Elder User
Its not how they alter them. Its when they take what their parent paid good money for and they just take them and destroy them.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:54 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
I never had that problem with my kids. Cause I did not give a car or truck to destroy. In fact after my son was married and the we're using it the oil pump went out, so we had a father son day replacing the old pump.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Southern Bronco
Elder User
I did the same with mine. Its just what i see come through my shop on a daily basis.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:17 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
We are planning on going to the Tampa RV Supershow in January. We have a big problem. It the 7 cats and 3 dogs that we can't take on this trip. Is anybody or know someone that maybe interested in house/ pet sitting for a week. We don't know anybody we trust.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM
GTFun06
Senior User
Originally Posted by Southern Bronco
You'd be surprised at how many (kids) that will take a nice truck and destroy them.
Oh yeah. Kids who don't have any clue how to care for something or how much things cost. We must teach our kids good stewardship. If not us, who? People see everything as just expendable junk. Throw away, buy again.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GTFun06
Oh yeah. Kids who don't have any clue how to care for something or how much things cost. We must teach our kids good stewardship. If not us, who? People see everything as just expendable junk. Throw away, buy again.
I agree about the kids. The throw away mentally is supported by the mfgs that make junk then price parts that make it cheap to buy again than repair

Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 PM
GTFun06
Senior User
I remember being 16 and buying my first car... I had saved for a few years... My Dad helped me with an extra $500, which I paid him back over 5 months. But I would wash and wax it like every weekend. My Dad always said I was going to contribute to it rusting because I washed it so much...kinda funny.

But I still wash my cars regularly and I look up and down the street...or when my wife and I take our daughter on walks thru the neighborhood... I am not even joking, I have not seen 1 person other than myself wash a car in over 3 years at our current house.

I think that care of ownership (ie stewardship), whether it's a car, house, couch or whatever... it's eroding away. People sit around and watch TV instead of cleaning their house, or washing windows, or whatever. I see it everywhere, in my own family. Maybe it's laziness...I'm not sure. It's probably a deeper issue than we are able to solve here on FTE, haha.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:35 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey guys,
I am still alive!! I finally got the new liner in the pool. It took me 3 days to de-weed all the flower beds and get good ground cover back in. The weeds were knee high and a real pain to get cleaned out. I had to fix a retainer wall that was falling down.

I sprayed weed killer on the lawn and a majority of the weeds just laughed at me. The farmer that sells us hay for the horses says the place is looking really good.

I agree that the thought nowadays is use it till it breaks and just buy a new one. My teenage daughter has been thru like 6 cell phones in the last year. I am cheap and will try to fix something till it can't be repaired anymore. I am **** about things being clean and organized, house, yards, cars. It probably has a lot to with all my years in the military.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:27 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ChiefM
Hey guys,
I am still alive!! I finally got the new liner in the pool. It took me 3 days to de-weed all the flower beds and get good ground cover back in. The weeds were knee high and a real pain to get cleaned out. I had to fix a retainer wall that was falling down.

I sprayed weed killer on the lawn and a majority of the weeds just laughed at me. The farmer that sells us hay for the horses says the place is looking really good.

I agree that the thought nowadays is use it till it breaks and just buy a new one. My teenage daughter has been thru like 6 cell phones in the last year. I am cheap and will try to fix something till it can't be repaired anymore. I am **** about things being clean and organized, house, yards, cars. It probably has a lot to with all my years in the military.
Yea it hard to get the military out

Old 08-29-2015, 09:36 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Never was in the military, they wouldn't have me, their lose, but my Dad was in the Marine Corp, and raised his sons to think like he was trained. Everything had a place, and it better be there when he went to get it. It makes life a lot simpler when you are organized.
Congratulations in beating the pool liner Chief.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks Bob,
I had to take small bites at it till I got it done. I worked on it nonstop for one full day and was about dead by the end of the day. The sun and heat was really kicking my butt. I made a fancy pipeline off the gutter down spout to catch some of the rain water to help fill the pool. Guess what?? Not a drop of rain the last few days!!! Figures.

I walked the lower pasture fence line and did some much needed repairs today. I also cut down some branches around the property that need tending too. Looks like I will be done with the spring and summer time chores just in time for fall. I plan on putting on my fancy new chrome grille on the 79 sometime here in the near future. I have not even looked at the engine bay of the Lightning yet.

Quick Reply: August Chat Thread