1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Replacing the front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 AM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacing the front shocks

Hey I am in the process of doing the front shocks on a 1999 E350. First of all, this is my first time buying KYB shocks, wanted to say they look alot like a Bilstein for half the price.

Name:  GRvNMqf.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  749.3 KB

Anyways, the driver shock is alot tougher to get to the top nut. Is something wrong here? Passenger side is easy.

Can reach in and grab the not nut no issues:
Name:  VK4A8D3.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  615.0 KB

What to do on the driver side? I may just sawzall it because there is no way to get leverage.
Name:  EjZ93Wd.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  509.2 KB

Also, first time I have ever seen post mount shocks on a solid rear axle vehicle!

Thanks for any tips.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM
erickz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Please post how you did the swap. How much were the KYBs ? Part numbers? I need to do this to my van. Thanks

Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM
REDOVAL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin,

Front shock replacement is a pain on the driver's side. I was able to sneak a flex head ratchet with a deep socket onto the stem nut and use an open end wrench on the visible fixed nut flats on the bottom of the rubber isolator to loosen/tighten the shock. It looks like the KYB units have the same setup so you should be good to go. Once loose, grab the upper sleeve of the shock and loosen them by hand. I have also seen people relieve the ear on the tower around the upper bolt for wrench access, but it isn't necessary in my opinion.

Scott

Old 07-24-2015, 02:52 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
KYB's have traditionally been a Japanese copy of Bilstein shocks in terms of construction. I put some on an FJ40 Land Crusher back in 1987 and they were really well made and firm. They do make different model shocks; the old high end ones where white with red stripes and were called Gas-A-Just or something like that....

My van got Monroe Reflex shocks when Sears was having a free installation special. I don't work on heavy stuff any more since I got 8 screws and 3 rods in my spine in 2011.

Hope it goes well for you,
George

Old 07-24-2015, 10:40 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Thanks for the tips. I do have a 1/2" Williams flex head, Ill see if it will fit. Did not even see the lower nut! These are definitely the factory shocks, neither the F250 nor the Jeep Cherokee I did shocks on last had those lower nuts factory.

My usually HD go to replacement shock is the Monroe Gas Magnum. Made in USA, but they do start to rust at the seems pretty quick. These seem to be more durable. Got them because I heard they are pretty stiff and I am trying to reduce sway. They are made in Japan. $51 each.

Front:
More Information for KYB 565014

Rear:
More Information for KYB 565010

Seems that the gas-a-just are also monotube, but they are cheaper. Probably better for a half ton. Says the shocks fit 92-07 Econolines, but double check.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by AAubinoe
Hey I am in the process of doing the front shocks on a 1999 E350. First of all, this is my first time buying KYB shocks, wanted to say they look alot like a Bilstein for half the price.
Well, yes they might be half the price but I'm sure you'll find in time KYB's are also half the shock!

When switching front shocks us DIY's would be best advised looking for the mono tube design that includes large wrench flats just below the upper stud, like Bilstein for example. Those are extremely handy when swapping them out as its vastly easy grabbing those flats with a suitable open end wrench to remove the upper nut without contorting oneself needlessly.

At least that's my approach.................

Old 07-25-2015, 02:26 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
The Red KYBs are monotube. I have bilsteins on my jacked up Jeep Cherokee, and the construction is very similar.

Today was not a very good day. This van is in the salt belt, but it is not driven much at all in the winter. STILL I had to cut the top stem of the shock with a sawzall. Got the nut half way it it became very difficult. Soaked everything with PB starting last week. Also, snapped the bottom stud. Even heated it up with a MAP torch.

Name:  8RDVm8w.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  782.6 KB

Name:  C3aqxCQ.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  2.27 MB

And dont even get me started on the inner sway bushings. I think I am going to pull the steering tie rods to get a straight shot them. Tried prying, heating, drilling and the still come out in small chunks. Going to try pounding a socket through.

SO, is that stud pressed in, or screwed in? Im thinking my best option would be to drill it out and put in a 10.9 grade bolt with a few washers on either side of the shock bushing.

Also, does this cover do anything? Im trashing it.
Name:  iHyKAOL.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  2.65 MB

THANKS

Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
OK did a bit of searching. The stud is pressed in and is not sold individually. Ford recommends a new control arm. Dorman makes a kit, but it looks weak. Other post have also suggested a 5/8" bolt.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Been there.......done that.......

Drilling out the control arm for a new 5/8" bolt, grade 8, is the easy way to solve that snapped off bottom stud.

New bolt, spacer (couple of nuts) and attach the shock, with couple washers, and final nut.

Also, one of the reasons I use Gabriel shocks is to get the nut below the rubber bushings to get a wrench on the body and have a wrench just "holding" the top nut.

And totally agree that the drivers side shock it a Pita to get change out.....

Your sway bar bushing are pressed in, if you can, torch them out, if not, cut into one side, and take a cold chisel and fold it in for removal.

There are some write ups here on how to "press" in the new bushings, with some large sockets and some all-thread rod (which is how I've done them)

Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Well then, after breaking 2 bits trying to drill the stud out, I tried to heat it up and pop it out with an air hammer. No go, its on there very tight. Ended up slicing the stud off with an Oxy- Acetylene torch and then punching out the remainder carefully. I then drilled it with a 5/8" bit and ground it smooth.

Name:  Tgfp1Sw.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  785.5 KB

Backside:

Name:  9YminLf.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  1.13 MB

5/8" is a snug fit
Name:  756K8eL.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  2.91 MB

The driver side lower came out no problem. You really need to heat that nut up hot, and hit it with some PB blaster a few times. Then work it back in forth as you remove it. The top nut is 15mm, the bottom nut (and lower nut at the top) are 18mm. Ended up cutting the driver side off too as there is just no damn room at all.

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/28y73...ide-front.html

The OEM procedure is a joke, medium depth socket? They could have easily given another 1.5" of clearance stamped into the inner fender. Like I have read many times, short is too short, and long does not give you enough room to install a ratchet. To put the new one on the plan is to install the upper stem first and hand tighten the nut. Then get a 15mm box wrench on it. Then tighten it using the bottom nut. The last step will be to bolt it to the control arm.

Anyways hope this helps somebody.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:19 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Been there.......done that.......

Drilling out the control arm for a new 5/8" bolt, grade 8, is the easy way to solve that snapped off bottom stud.

New bolt, spacer (couple of nuts) and attach the shock, with couple washers, and final nut.

Also, one of the reasons I use Gabriel shocks is to get the nut below the rubber bushings to get a wrench on the body and have a wrench just "holding" the top nut.

And totally agree that the drivers side shock it a Pita to get change out.....

Your sway bar bushing are pressed in, if you can, torch them out, if not, cut into one side, and take a cold chisel and fold it in for removal.

There are some write ups here on how to "press" in the new bushings, with some large sockets and some all-thread rod (which is how I've done them)

Going to torch them! Did not even think about the spacer. Would probably make it a bit stronger too: Bolt through control arm, then a nut, then a wide washer, then the shock, then another wide washer, and finally and external nut. Was a 3" bolt long enough? (if you can remember, i think it is).

OH and I can totally see why any dealership would demand the whole arm be replaced. If I was a trained ford tech I could probably do the arm quicker then go through all of this!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
A 3" bolt would be more than long enough.

Been a few years, but I think I used a 2-1/2" long bolt.

And replacing the radius arm, NO, just getting to the front bolt, under the coil spring, and hoping that comes out..........I thing any good Ford tech would opt out for the drilling before pulling the whole radius arm off.......

Your way of torching out the stud is the best way, and while you had the torch out, you should have hit the stabilizer bushing too.......

I know, all this work for something simple.........well, welcome to the Van World

Old 07-25-2015, 08:01 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by Wildman25
A 3" bolt would be more than long enough.

Been a few years, but I think I used a 2-1/2" long bolt.

And replacing the radius arm, NO, just getting to the front bolt, under the coil spring, and hoping that comes out..........I thing any good Ford tech would opt out for the drilling before pulling the whole radius arm off.......

Your way of torching out the stud is the best way, and while you had the torch out, you should have hit the stabilizer bushing too.......

I know, all this work for something simple.........well, welcome to the Van World
HAHA thanks very much. Have to say my F250 is so much easier to basic stuff on, but thats also a straight axle front. My gas axe is always close at hand!!!!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
One of the main tools up here in the rust belt is to have a good Hot Wrench, and make sure the tanks are full before starting any project

Went thru many tanks of gas working on these vans, and also into the Jeep things too

Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 AM
AAubinoe
Tuned
cool man, got a few Jeeps. Currently restoring a 1955 ****** pickup.

Got the rubber out of the I beam.
Name:  Q5Ehr14.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  791.0 KB

These are the moog poly bushings I have:

Name:  oh54gkq.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  586.1 KB

Seems I was supposed to take out this metal sleeve as well?
Name:  m0AXmIu.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  460.3 KB

The blue tape is where I taped off the spindle and ABS sensor so I can coat the front end with chassis saver. BUT turns out the driver upper ball joint is bad, so just ordered 4 moogs. Plus would you believe I am putting the 3rd set of rotors on this van! (50k miles) rust just eats them. AND I need to go get an alignment after ball joints so I might aswell replace the questionable and original Tie rod ends beforehand.

I originally started working on the van to replace that stolen catalytic converter and patch 2 holes in the roof! Oh well it keeps me busy and saves my dad money.

Quick Reply: Replacing the front shocks