1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-valve V-10 exhaust clips,advice, and questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:25 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-valve V-10 exhaust clips,advice, and questions

I had such a hard time finding information and advice on muffler choices for the 3v v10 that I figured I should make a thread dedicated to nothing but the 3v. The only info I could find for the 3v was bits and pieces here and there on a few different threads which took a lot of time and a lot of digging.

If you have a 3v with aftermarket exhaust please post a clip of it on here.

I will be posting mine on Tuesday after I get the new set up installed.
Im doing an adaptor to adapt the 3.5' flowmaster inlet to the stock piping, then a stainless Flowmaster 50series HD, followed by a 4" Diamond Eye stainless dpf back kit for a 6.4, and a 6"x18" tip. No cats.

Thanks in advance for any advice or clips you post!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 AM
asdrew
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea, I had trouble too last year when I was researching what to do with my 2005 3v V10 exhaust. Almost all of the information I found was for 2-valves which have totally different exhaust plumbing. It appears the Ford 3-valve engineers put on an exhaust system that doesn't need improvement for performance, and most modifications are more for us to feel good about doing something. I just wanted more sound since I still miss my built-up Bronco with dual glasspacks.

I ended up wanting a Dynomax VT, but the muffler shop had stopped carrying them because he had too many that clattered due to spring failure.

He recommended a 3" Magnaflow, and I am mostly pleased with it. Sounds great on startup and low RPMs, but has a bit more drone than I wanted at cruising speed.

Another frustration I had when researching was all the clips where the truck sat in a driveway and went straight from idle to WOT revving - not too helpful unless you want to act like a 17 year old at the traffic lights.

Edit: If I was doing it again, I would ask the shop if it was possible to try a few different options by installing them in a less than permanent way. If I had my own shop that's what I would do for myself, and would be willing to pay for the extra work ($xx for each try) since I don't.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:17 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 09f250v10
I had such a hard time finding information and advice on muffler choices for the 3v v10 that I figured I should make a thread dedicated to nothing but the 3v. The only info I could find for the 3v was bits and pieces here and there on a few different threads which took a lot of time and a lot of digging.

If you have a 3v with aftermarket exhaust please post a clip of it on here.

I will be posting mine on Tuesday after I get the new set up installed.
Im doing an adaptor to adapt the 3.5' flowmaster inlet to the stock piping, then a stainless Flowmaster 50series HD, followed by a 4" Diamond Eye stainless dpf back kit for a 6.4, and a 6"x18" tip. No cats.

Thanks in advance for any advice or clips you post!
Good luck with that setup. IMO it is way to large of diameter. 3" is plenty, 3.5" is max. 4" won't aid in flow at all. I can't imagine that sounding any good either with a dronemaster and 6" tip. You seem to want flow with the larger pipe but yet clog it up with that muffler?? Makes no sense. You are going to shut off the rear O2 sensors somehow? You'll throw a CEL once you remove the cats.

I don't see why it is so difficult to find a muffler for the 3 Valves. I used a Dynomax Super Turbo on my 05 and it sounded fine. R&R the stock muffler with whatever brand suits your fancy.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by V10man
Good luck with that setup. IMO it is way to large of diameter. 3" is plenty, 3.5" is max. 4" won't aid in flow at all. I can't imagine that sounding any good either with a dronemaster and 6" tip. You seem to want flow with the larger pipe but yet clog it up with that muffler?? Makes no sense. You are going to shut off the rear O2 sensors somehow? You'll throw a CEL once you remove the cats.

I don't see why it is so difficult to find a muffler for the 3 Valves. I used a Dynomax Super Turbo on my 05 and it sounded fine. R&R the stock muffler with whatever brand suits your fancy.
I'm expecting no added performance with a 4" tailpipe, im changing up the exhaust shearly for sound. The flowmaster is a 3 chamber muffler meant to eliminate drone (to an extent) and can't drone anymore than the Banks monster muffler does already...........The truck has no cats already and I've got an SCT Tuner with 5 tunes (each tune has the rear o2s disabled). Putting a section of 4 inch pipe between the muffler outlet location to the stock tailpipe exit location will in no way hinder the performance considering the truck has factory manifolds, factory y-pipe, and factory exhaust pipe all the way to the bed. Performance-wise, the factory exhaust on the later 3v v10s are plenty good enough. Maybe the muffler would be the only restriction. I just want good sound, not the v6 sound sound the other clips of 3valves I've heard have.
I heard a clip of that DynoMax muffler on a 3v and it was ok. Too quiet on the exterior and sounded like a fluttering mess on decel, idk just not my thing.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
I install a Gibson "single exit" Stainless Steel Exhaust system on my 2005 V10. I really like it.
....Gage

Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gage2502
I install a Gibson "single exit" Stainless Steel Exhaust system on my 2005 V10. I really like it.
....Gage
I've heard alot of positive feedback on the Gibson mufflers on these trucks, wish I could hear all of the different systems in person

Old 07-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
I've heard alot of positive feedback on the Gibson mufflers on these trucks, wish I could hear all of the different systems in person
Ya I really like the way it sounds, It was really easy to install too.
...Gage

Old 07-24-2015, 08:01 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by asdrew
Great idea, I had trouble too last year when I was researching what to do with my 2005 3v V10 exhaust. Almost all of the information I found was for 2-valves which have totally different exhaust plumbing. It appears the Ford 3-valve engineers put on an exhaust system that doesn't need improvement for performance, and most modifications are more for us to feel good about doing something. I just wanted more sound since I still miss my built-up Bronco with dual glasspacks.

I ended up wanting a Dynomax VT, but the muffler shop had stopped carrying them because he had too many that clattered due to spring failure.

He recommended a 3" Magnaflow, and I am mostly pleased with it. Sounds great on startup and low RPMs, but has a bit more drone than I wanted at cruising speed.

Another frustration I had when researching was all the clips where the truck sat in a driveway and went straight from idle to WOT revving - not too helpful unless you want to act like a 17 year old at the traffic lights.

Edit: If I was doing it again, I would ask the shop if it was possible to try a few different options by installing them in a less than permanent way. If I had my own shop that's what I would do for myself, and would be willing to pay for the extra work ($xx for each try) since I don't.
I actually considered the Dynomax VT for a while as well for the drone elimination at low rpm's and great tone at high rpm's factors but decided against one for the same reason your muffler shop stopped carrying them. It is a cool concept for a muffler, just not sure I trust that dinky little spring along with the chattering sound that they are known to have. Supposedly they fixed the problem but people have reported they still get the clatter with the "revised" muffler. Could be bs but I was still detoured

I'm sure your Magnaflow sounds good, they make a great quality muffler from what I have seen on friends' vehicles.

I'm just trying to find that balance between a decently loud exterior and an acceptable interior level. It's a hard balance to perfect lol
I am okay with some interior drone in order to achieve the exterior tone and loundness that I desire. Too many people seem to expect to have a totally stock sound on the inside while the exterior is mild to aggressive.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 PM
JKBrad
Received 809 Likes on 594 Posts
I had a Banks Monster exhaust. I wouldn't recommend it. The drone made me wish I'd kept the stock exhaust. It looked good though.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Update

I ended up going with the flowmaster 70 series muffler and had that installed along with the 4 inch tailpipe and 6 inch tip. It sounds every bit as good as I hoped it would! Such a great tone. It sounds really aggressive on the tone but the actual decibel level is low and it took a alot of the drone away as compared to the banks monster muffler. I did NOT feel a drop in low end power( im assuming it's due to the large cased 3 chamber flowmaster ). I have not pulled a trailer with this setup but unloaded, it feels the same as it did before, it just sounds better.
Since it needs to be inspected for the first time here in a few months, I went ahead and ordered a stainless, catted, oem direct bolt on y-pipe which will go on next week once it arrives! Can't wait!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
I got the Magnaflow catted Y-Pipe installed along with the rest of the new exhaust. 3 inch piping to the Flowmaster 70 series muffler followed by the 4" diamond eye tailpipe and 6" tip. It sounds great outside the truck and knocked almost all of the interior drone out with the cats! Very happy to have a brand new full exhaust that doesn't kill me with interior drone!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:45 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the Magnaflow catted Y-Pipe installed along with the rest of the new exhaust. 3 inch piping to the Flowmaster 70 series muffler followed by the 4" diamond eye tailpipe and 6" tip. It sounds great outside the truck and knocked almost all of the interior drone out with the cats! Very happy to have a brand new full exhaust that doesn't kill me with interior drone!

Darn good looking truck and impressive and exhaust job but now you're required to post a sound clip of the truck even if it's a crappy cell phone video!!!!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:12 AM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by twigsV10
Darn good looking truck and impressive and exhaust job but now you're required to post a sound clip of the truck even if it's a crappy cell phone video!!!!
I will definitely post a video of it soon, most likely Sunday on my day off! It sounds awesome with the 4 inch tailpipe and flowmaster 70, makes me wish I would have done a chambered muffler to begin with...

Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Video of the exhaust

I finally did a quick video of the exhaust but it's not the best thanks to my galaxy. Sorry for the wobble, I had my phone hanging from a stool. I'll do another video of it when it's warmed up so I can do some high and low revs plus I'll video the entire exhaust itself!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Heard it from outside

Ok so I took my truck in to get an alignment after I installed the bds radius arms and got to hear my truck while the mechanic took it for a drive. I was smiling like a damn kid when I heard it, it sounds so damn good with the 70 series and 4 inch tailpipe. The mechanic had to get on it a bit to get going in traffic and I had the 91 octane performance tune. I was so impressed with the tone. The chambered muffler chopped the exhaust note up from being so smooth and just sounded pleasing. Now if I can just figure out how to get my clip uploaded on this site...

Quick Reply: 3-valve V-10 exhaust clips,advice, and questions