1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It never fails

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Most every time I take the Coe to any store when I come out there are 3 or 4 people standing around it. Most don't know what it is and all of them have questions. I have just about come to expect the delay because of listening to their stories and talking to them about the past. That's just part of the joy these trucks bring us.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:36 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
I've only had positive experiences. Most recently, with a couple of high mileage gents. At least one got a misty look in the eyes recalling the joy of his youth bombing around in an old Ford. Even with his hearing aids, he still cocked his head to listen for the distinctive flatty sound. Doesn't get any better. Should a blowhard come my way, he will not create a memory anywhere as lasting as all the grateful types happy to see the old iron still on the road.
Same here, only positives, even with the "patina rat rod" cars when I get the "your car is sick" and other interesting compliments when they are seen in a parking lot. I just say "thank you, I appreciate it". Even at car shows nobody has said anything bad, at least out loud

Originally Posted by pweng1
Most every time I take the Coe to any store when I come out there are 3 or 4 people standing around it. Most don't know what it is and all of them have questions. I have just about come to expect the delay because of listening to their stories and talking to them about the past. That's just part of the joy these trucks bring us.
Very true, and I especially like when the people who were around in the 1940s and 1950s see my cars. More often than not it is a real time trip for them and gives them a big smile, especially when out on the highway..unless they are just laughing at me? LOL!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM
1950F2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my F2 on the road a year now and take it out about once a month and always get a wave from someone on the road going the other way. On the way to Home Depot going 55 on interstate, they pass real slow and nod.
A few local car shows they will say my Uncle had one like or Grandpa had one. I kept it ORG. 6 volt rebuilt 239 flatty and all the other stuff it had when I found it.
Fixed all the rust and painted it mat black and red pin stripe. People act like they like the color. Will post pics later. Had it down to frame and put back together.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
My local chapter of the EFV8 Club had a breakfast show at a retirement/convalescent home one Saturday morning. Some of the seniors (who aren't much older than most EFV8 Club guys, younger than some) had good stories.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok now if we are talking about when we are driving our trucks,it is a whole different experience than when we aren't. I have never had a bad experience there. It's all great people reminiscing fond memories that include a truck like mine/ours a lot of old timers men and women asking if they can look at it. Of course the answer is always " by all means, you can sit in it if you like. Or it's a guy that is or has been in the hobby, and they have always just said "nice F-1, does it still have the Flatty?. When I first bought it I was in the Mac Donald's drive thru when a guy came running across the street only to offer me a stock seat for it, which I gracefully accepted and am still using today. Around here its all thumbs up, waves and compliments, which make driving it a real pleasure.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:48 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Treasure these days and comments- it is really hard seeing one at the gas station or home depot parking lot after having to sell mine. But it is still fun give give the owner a thumbs up and see them get a big smile that you see the effort it takes to keep one running. So even if you are not in yours give them the recognition they deserve. Have fun.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had good experiences with strangers reacting to my truck, but maybe I'm a bit cynical because living 30 or so miles from Washington, DC, lots of folk have let's say a different "agenda". I've been cut off, cut in front of and otherwise abused by fellow drivers who see me only as an obstacle to avoid in traffic cause it's and "old" car. Five more years and we sell the house and say goodbye to this rat race that is D.C.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
After having rebuilt my 50 F1, I have to say hats off to all of those people that restored these trucks. I have restored many vehicles over the years, but none as challenging as the F1. These old beat up farm and service trucks have had the crap beat out of them. Mine didn't have a straight piece of metal on it. If it did it was rusted and I didn't notice. Just saying, that it is a lot easier to restore some thing that hasn't been through hell and back than it is to do one of these trucks. The average person may look at your truck and make a nice comment, but can never realize the commitment it takes to get one of these back on the road. My hat is off to all of you on this board for resurecting these old trucks one piece at a time. I guess you can consider this my " WAVE" And thanks to all for their help.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Ok now if we are talking about when we are driving our trucks,it is a whole different experience than when we aren't. I have never had a bad experience there. It's all great people reminiscing fond memories that include a truck like mine/ours a lot of old timers men and women asking if they can look at it. Of course the answer is always " by all means, you can sit in it if you like. Or it's a guy that is or has been in the hobby, and they have always just said "nice F-1, does it still have the Flatty?.
I have been lucky enough to have a few interesting talks with people at times about old trucks and cars generally. The picture shown here are of an F100 I have wanted to check out for about 2 years. I guess particularly as it looks so much like mine, down to colour and wheels, chrome grille and bumpers. However I could not get to meet him. Finally saw his pickup at our local friday night car show. Left a note on his window and he called me up. Real nice bloke to talk to. He has had the truck for 38 years, has used it daily for most of those. Used it for cementing work and showed it when he could. 76 now, he has lived a great hot rodders life, rods, hot street machines and factory muscle cars. Great guy. He has driven it to 6 of our seven states and territories, with the last one to come later this year. Yes it can be interesting to talk to others with the same passions.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:53 PM
dobenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aus56
I have been lucky enough to have a few interesting talks with people at times about old trucks and cars generally. The picture shown here are of an F100 I have wanted to check out for about 2 years. I guess particularly as it looks so much like mine, down to colour and wheels, chrome grille and bumpers. However I could not get to meet him. Finally saw his pickup at our local friday night car show. Left a note on his window and he called me up. Real nice bloke to talk to. He has had the truck for 38 years, has used it daily for most of those. Used it for cementing work and showed it when he could. 76 now, he has lived a great hot rodders life, rods, hot street machines and factory muscle cars. Great guy. He has driven it to 6 of our seven states and territories, with the last one to come later this year. Yes it can be interesting to talk to others with the same passions.

I believe something is wrong with that truck, aint the steering wheel on the wrong side??