1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need Expertise on Front end for my 53 Effie

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:37 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here at least once a month there is a story about an officer losing control and crashing his/her cruiser.

In the FD shop we're separate from the Metro vehicle maintenance. They have a multi-acre lot at their facility that includes about four long rows of CVs that the hot shoes in the popo permanently 'modified'.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:27 PM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
Sorry, NOT comparing A to A. if you are going to add in the needed extras for some you must do it for all. (esp MII above) Then add in installation costs i.e. if you aren't an accomplished welder you are going to have to hire one.
There is no necessity to use a dropped beam, that's a personal choice option. A completely rebuilt beam with PS can be done for ~ 1K and the work accomplished by someone reasonably mechanically inclined with a good set of hand tools in the home driveway over a long weekend or two.
I agree with the assertion that most who criticize the beam axle likely hasn't driven one that is completely rebuilt (and/or w/PS).
The quality "MII Type" suspensions have been completely redesigned and use almost no common parts or geometry with the OEM MII/Pinto. Just avoid the low end crossmember only "kits" that call for salvaged OEM parts for rest of suspension/steering.
IMHO the only positive feature of the CV is price, but that is offset by cost and limited selection of usable wheels. The geometry is nothing to write home about. Here at least once a month there is a story about an officer losing control and crashing his/her cruiser. Installation is more complex than an MII. Really doesn't fit an F1.
Most that ask about ifs want good brakes, good handling, a good ride and it to be lowered and they mention it

I think you bought your panel mostly done. You liked the straight axle it came with and thats great but that doesn't mean it's apples to apples to tell people how it's almost as good a "_____" ifs and price effective if you don't add ps, disc, sway bar to be "close" to an ifs.

I think it really comes down to how someone wants to use it. I daily drive my Fairlane and the f1 will be the same.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
AX

I think we mostly agree. You'll have to decide after this post.

-The stock suspension is not dangerous when in good repair. It is fine in the intended use for many of the forum members. It isn't cheap to make the typical vintage project right again.

-IFS install costs are often very understated. Most all of them cause a chain reaction of upgrades. Hundreds if you continue with the salvage yard mods. Much more if you go pretty and easy.

-I find the the crashing CV cruisers completely irrelevant. How many are in service? It's a big number. Are you suggesting all cops are skilled high speed drivers? I'm confident plenty of Chrysler bent T-bar suspension squads were crashed too. (They were fairly prolific squads too at one time). Jags get a bye here as no police force uses them to my knowledge. You are a proponent of the stock straight axle. Would the police force have better results if they chased the bad guys with a stock F100 straight axle?

AX and Cbeav, Hopefully we are cool. I am not angry. Just disagree with some of the assertions. I enjoy the forum very much. I just try to not pizz in everyone's wheaties and that is what you guys are doing when you bash a suspension option that many are daily driving without issue. We all have to decide for ourselves if we want lowest cost, originality, smooth ride, handling, parts availability, appearance etc. Most of the options have some advantageover another choice.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:50 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well if you want IFS and the reliability of an I beam you get...

I just had to throw this in. However its not really the best for anything less than a 3/4 or 1 ton though.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
Here at least once a month there is a story about an officer losing control and crashing his/her cruiser.

In the FD shop we're separate from the Metro vehicle maintenance. They have a multi-acre lot at their facility that includes about four long rows of CVs that the hot shoes in the popo permanently 'modified'.

Had to laugh when I read your post. When some of the Highway patrols put 5.0 Mustangs into service there were more than a few of those that did not make it to the first oil change.

B

Old 12-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Hunter99004
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should have stated that I was mainly looking for handling versus cost. No I am not rich and will be doing the majority of the work myself, but I want a smooth ride. When I was younger I used the straight axel on the farm and in the woods, and yes for the intended purpose they were good.
Even though it has been a long time since I started this thread, I just got my truck home about a week ago. Tear down will commence here shortly. I am finally building my dream truck that will be mainly a cruiser but if I am good enough I will try and enter it into some local shows.
I am lucky enough to have 2 Body & Fender men and 3 Welders in the family that are close by and are rarring to help. I am still in a toss up between the M II and the CV but I guess I have some time to make up my mind. I have looked into the Jag and the Lexus and what is chasing me away from them is they are foreign and I really want my truck to be all Ford, that may sound strange but I am of the old addage of Born a Ford, Die a Ford ... I really appreciate everyones input, there is a vast amount of experience here and I am sure I will tap into it again. So Thank You all for passing on your expertise and I hope I did not cause ill feelings

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hunter: Search threads, other forums, and see what works for the masses. Talk to the guy's that have'em and drive 'em. I too was an alignment tech for many years. It all comes down to what you can afford to be a safe option. My first 2 vehicle's I drove when I got my licence in the mid 70's we're straight axle trucks. I was young and drove the snot out of them. My 56 with a Straight axle is the first since then. The technology available in today's market, be it an aftermarket IFS, Donor, or stock, Can all make a fun driver safe. Talk and communicate with the people that build, and or drive there vehicle's with the option's you are looking at. Remember opinion's are like *********s. Everybody has one. Some good. Some not so good. Good luck with your build.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Hunter99004
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been quite a while since I have been able to come back to this thread. Back in Sept my health started a downward spiral, not exactly sure what I did to deserve it but .... I started feeling better in Feb sometime but not good enough to do anything with my truck. Last month my son went and got me a 5.0 and tranny from a 98 Crown Vic, it was a sheriff's detective car so I am not sure if it is one of those P71s or whatever they call it. Hopefully this Saturday I will be selling the 239 & 3spd tranny to a guy from Enumclaw who plans to put it in a 48 F1. Now with all that being said I have narrowed my front end decisions down to 2, I will either do the Jag or the Mustang II type IFS. I have talked to some guys down in Texas that have ran both and the general consensus was that for a smoother ride these were the two to dig into. I found a couple of Jag donor cars and one has a pretty good rearend too so I am going to have to put my son to work on getting it and the disassembly.
The guy that we got the 5.0 from gave us the wiring harness basically bumper to bumper except the interior, Should I keep that and try to wire my Effie with it or should I go and get a whole new wiring harness, the reason I am asking is I plan on running LED lights and don't know if there is a harness that is dedicated to that type of voltage draw.