Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is copper OK for a hutch mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:50 PM
natedog37
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is copper OK for a hutch mod?

OK, I've searched around and come to a conclusion. SS tubing is hard to find off the shelf, every time I go into a hardware store they ask me if I can use copper. Based on the recommendations on Guzzles page I am guessing not? Can anyone tell me if it really makes a difference? I'd like to get this done with on my truck so I can move on to other things (not that I can't do that now). Thanks.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:21 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
No copper or galvanized stainless steel. Diesel fuel will react to both of them and cause problems in the fuel system.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is diesel going to react with copper? Never heard of "galvanized" stainless. No need to do so.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard over and over that copper shouldn't be used with diesel fuel, but I've never heard of an actual, fuel related failure of a copper line. My boat was plumbed with copper supply, return and transfer lines to both engines. Never a problem with the original, 30 year old lines. I see copper used on backhoes and all sorts of other equipment like gensets, oil fired furnaces, and the like. The only problem I saw with one of those was a compression fitting allowing air to be sucked in. Not a problem caused by the copper, per se. Cut it out and put in a flare union, problem solved.

On the other hand, galvanized tubing and fittings shouldn't be used with diesel. The sulphur in the fuel reacts with the zinc to form zinc sulfate, which will become a gelatinous, filter clogging mess. With the reduction of sulphur in diesel, it's less of a problem, but not a complete non issue.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:54 PM
natedog37
Mountain Pass
OK, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm still coming up blank with a call to the local Napa store. The one place that does carry SS around here only goes as small as 1". Does anybody have a web site they recommend for them?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:36 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by natedog37
OK, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm still coming up blank with a call to the local Napa store. The one place that does carry SS around here only goes as small as 1". Does anybody have a web site they recommend for them?
I buy a lot of my specialty materials here: Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com A bit more expensive than most sources, but their minimum quantities are reasonable and they carry a very wide range of sizes and specs. They will also cut almost anything to spec. Not sure how it would be to mail order from them though, since they're just down the street from where I work, so I place will call orders.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Agreed on the galvanize/Zinc issue. Zinc is a pretty chemically active element. I think some people confuse copper and brass. Copper is a fairly stable element whereas brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. The zinc can be attacked and leave you with copper "lace".
As for smaller stainless tubing, brake line comes to mind. Maybe LMC truck or the like. Also you need to use compression fittings specially designed for stainless, regular ones typically will not work well.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
If you use copper, use the one hole straps that have a rubber piece to isolate the strap from the metal. Copper over time will become work hardened or crystallized if it vibrates too much, so strap it frequently. If copper is contacting a ferrous metal or aluminum and is exposed to salty water such as road slush in winter, corrosion can set in over a period of time. Paint can prevent this though.
Larry

Old 07-19-2015, 02:09 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Is anyone willing to sell me the pieces of stainless steel tubeing i need? 4" of 3/8" and 3' of 5/16"?

Someone has to have that laying around.... i dont see buying an entire roll for such small pieces.... Can brake lines be used? I have all the other pieces to do the project....

And sorry OP... not to hijack this thread, but the prefiler lift pump guzzle uses (Carter P4070)(*having 5 - 6 psi, 72GPH*)... does anyone have any other brands parts numbers that cross reference with his? Preferibly one that Advance Auto sells because i have a GREAT discount there.... thanks

Old 07-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Maybe Clay at Riffraff has them. Seems like a good business idea for a supplier.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm leery of copper in a high-vibration environment. Looking at the factory fuel line from the tank, stainless is use on the frame, but hose is used when reaching to the tank - an item that can vibrate in relationship to the frame. The passenger-side tubing in the valley is from a fixed point to a fixed point, and even then - it has a clamp. Vibration is not our friend here, so take that into account on your design.

I was able to get straight pieces of brake line tubing from the Irish.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Try your local pipe distributors. I have at least three in my area and one of them in particular probably carries the right thing, the others know who to call if they don't have it. I don't know what they'll require in minimum amount though.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:25 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
there is a video from diesel tech ron, youtube, and he was saying they have been using soft copper lines for years in the shop and on his personal truck as well with no issues and that was done some 8 years ago i believe.

I don't see that as being a big deal inside the fuel tank as they use plastic parts on the OEM stuff and that is more brittle than copper it would seem to me.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM
250 STROKER
Junior User
You can use the SS 5/16 fuel line you remove from fuel pump inlet to the fuel tank, while the tank is out it`s probably 5' L. Just pull it from plastic clamps along the inside the frame rail and use it on the return inside the tank all that`s left is a 4" piece 3/8" SS tube for the inlet umbrella inside the tank and a 5/16" compression coupling and 10' of 3/8" diesel rated hose.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:49 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I used steel fuel tubing about seven years ago and have had no issues. Just saying.

Quick Reply: Is copper OK for a hutch mod?