Sponsored by: Moser

Discuss the EcoBoost!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Barber
Thanks for the advice - I will try again this week. 82k miles though ): Thinking they will not be helpful but if I traded the truck in I bet they would get ford to pay for the repairs before reselling. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic? Hope so.
I know you don't need a poke in the eye after all you've dealt with but, after feeling dismissed by the selling dealer, you should have taken your truck to another.

If you're still showing symptoms of misfiring and the plugs have been changed then likely a COP is bad. It's not an ecoboost thing as it happens on all engines.

The one remedy that I do agree with is the 1/16th weep hole in the intercooler on the 2011-2014 trucks. Ford will never advise this and many on here won't either. That's fine, those of us who did drill a hole haven't had any condensate related misfirings or side effects from the drilling. I feel that Ford refuses to admit that they came out with a crappy design and they threw all kinds of stupid things at it to fix it. Trouble, none of them worked.

Good luck going forward and thanks for posting.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:05 AM
93Cobra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent advice on the weep hole.

Ben Barber - save your money and don't go back to the dealership for this. The tsb shown did not fix the issues in the ecoboost. The only true fix is what we are telling you.... new plugs and the weep hole. I would get 6 new motorcraft sp534, gap to .030, drill the weep hole and then drive it. I guarantee NO MORE PROBLEMS for you

Old 01-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Thanks for the advice - I will try again this week. 82k miles though ): Thinking they will not be helpful but if I traded the truck in I bet they would get ford to pay for the repairs before reselling. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic? Hope so.
Nope, they have no means to make Ford pay for that now that it's out of warranty. They will see the check engine light, have their shop take a quick look at it, and deduct the repair cost from your trade value. The money has to come from somewhere, and after 60K it's not coming from Ford.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Ben Barber
New User
Thanks!

Thanks for the input guys. I will drill the hole and skip the dealership. Also I see a Chevrolet in my future after this debacle and Ford's seeming to just give all of us the middle finger about it. It saved me a trip and some painful responses from them it sounds like. I have very little patience for bad CS - to a fault I will admit. I just do not have the time. I know they have to play to the lowest common denominator but they should have recalled these before the additional damage was done IMO.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Ben Barber
New User
Originally Posted by 93Cobra
Excellent advice on the weep hole.

Ben Barber - save your money and don't go back to the dealership for this. The tsb shown did not fix the issues in the ecoboost. The only true fix is what we are telling you.... new plugs and the weep hole. I would get 6 new motorcraft sp534, gap to .030, drill the weep hole and then drive it. I guarantee NO MORE PROBLEMS for you

inwatched some of the ex-ford mechanic's you tube vids last night and agree this seems to be the case. Thanks again- notice he is driving a dodge these days...

Old 01-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Ben Barber
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I know you don't need a poke in the eye after all you've dealt with but, after feeling dismissed by the selling dealer, you should have taken your truck to another.

If you're still showing symptoms of misfiring and the plugs have been changed then likely a COP is bad. It's not an ecoboost thing as it happens on all engines.

The one remedy that I do agree with is the 1/16th weep hole in the intercooler on the 2011-2014 trucks. Ford will never advise this and many on here won't either. That's fine, those of us who did drill a hole haven't had any condensate related misfirings or side effects from the drilling. I feel that Ford refuses to admit that they came out with a crappy design and they threw all kinds of stupid things at it to fix it. Trouble, none of them worked.

Good luck going forward and thanks for posting.
the thing is- I never felt or noticed a misfire except the three or four times I floored it- then it shuddered etc. other than those few events it has run great but the mileage has never been as advertised of course. I agree I should have taken it to another dealer but that is a very time consuming task and I just never did find the time.

Too bad- I loved the truck but this one thread has really put me off Ford and I have owned a few now.

Evidently the misfire was very minimal or something else is happening as one cat is burned so who knows what else could be seriously damaged. I will find out this week.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
the thing is- I never felt or noticed a misfire except the three or four times I floored it- then it shuddered etc. other than those few events it has run great but the mileage has never been as advertised of course. I agree I should have taken it to another dealer but that is a very time consuming task and I just never did find the time.

Too bad- I loved the truck but this one thread has really put me off Ford and I have owned a few now.

Evidently the misfire was very minimal or something else is happening as one cat is burned so who knows what else could be seriously damaged. I will find out this week.
I don't blame you one bit sir. I had a bulletproof 5.8L go bad on me and if another Ford were to go bad, I'd leave Ford in a minute. Patience isn't one of my virtues.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:38 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're getting good advice here. The fixes that Ford has in mind for you are not good fixes at all and you're better off fixing this yourself.

There is no doubt that the weep hole is working for people. Two years ago I put on an oil catch can and upgraded Wagner intercooler and haven't had a misfire since. The catch can has its own set of inconveniences though. You better remember to drain it, and it will freeze solid in cold weather. If I lived a bit further north then it would be too much a pain in the butt and I'd probably remove the catch can and drill the hole.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Ben Barber
New User
Forgot to mention another symptom

The last time I drove it a week or so ago it was cold and the heater only worked when I really spun the turbos. Before that day, the heater would be blowing hot air realitively quickly after startup regardless of throttle or just idling. I went ahead and drilled the 1/16" hole this afternoon but am worried the damage is done. My truck is leaning 10 degrees or so away from the hole (just because of driveway slope) but nothing came out of the hole that I could see even after starting it and hitting the gas. I have a feeling I may be in for a monster repair- I'm thinking catalytic and possibly one or both turbos and more. I'm not a DIY car guy other than routine Maintenence so don't really know. Today I thought the turbo's did not sound right- had not paid attention till now but they don't seem to spin as nicely- I am going to write that off as my head messing with me for now but the heater issue may point to that....🙏 We will see- dropping her off Thursday am at a trusted shop. Have always kept best oil in her and on time. Plugs had not been changed until recently but I had no reason to think they should have. Ordering the ones pointed out above- saw that ford mechanic guy recommended the same plugs I think. Maybe keeping good tightly gapped plugs would have prevented much of the garbage leaving the cylinder. Also ordered his recommended fuel system cleaner. Thanks for all the help. Truck still starts and turbo sound is audible still so who knows....

Old 01-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
The last time I drove it a week or so ago it was cold and the heater only worked when I really spun the turbos. Before that day, the heater would be blowing hot air realitively quickly after startup regardless of throttle or just idling. I went ahead and drilled the 1/16" hole this afternoon but am worried the damage is done. My truck is leaning 10 degrees or so away from the hole (just because of driveway slope) but nothing came out of the hole that I could see even after starting it and hitting the gas. I have a feeling I may be in for a monster repair- I'm thinking catalytic and possibly one or both turbos and more. I'm not a DIY car guy other than routine Maintenence so don't really know. Today I thought the turbo's did not sound right- had not paid attention till now but they don't seem to spin as nicely- I am going to write that off as my head messing with me for now but the heater issue may point to that....🙏 We will see- dropping her off Thursday am at a trusted shop. Have always kept best oil in her and on time. Plugs had not been changed until recently but I had no reason to think they should have. Ordering the ones pointed out above- saw that ford mechanic guy recommended the same plugs I think. Maybe keeping good tightly gapped plugs would have prevented much of the garbage leaving the cylinder. Also ordered his recommended fuel system cleaner. Thanks for all the help. Truck still starts and turbo sound is audible still so who knows....
What makes you think your turbos will fail? They seem to be quite rare, and they aren't that expensive. Each turbo is about a $400 part.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I was under the impression that you had changed your plugs already, I must have misread or misunderstood. That's your misfiring issue right there in a nut shell. You're probably experiencing random misfires on multiple cylinders.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Ben Barber
New User
Plugs were changed.

Originally Posted by tseekins
I was under the impression that you had changed your plugs already, I must have misread or misunderstood. That's your misfiring issue right there in a nut shell. You're probably experiencing random misfires on multiple cylinders.
The plugs were changed the day the check engine light came on. Not correct plugs it turns out but they were changed.

Well ill I spent 608$ to replace the cat and 150$ to update the software. Hopefully this will stop the domino effect but I am worried about other damage still. I went ahead and had brakes done, flushed etc- hear is the bill. Now after I get home I pull the air filter to find it wasn't changed. Prettty shocking to spend 2300$ at one shop and 3 or 4 hundred at another and they don't bother to look at the air filter. Im a moron for not checking myself I guess but that is what I paid these guys to do! Oil change was done with plugs. Put a new filter in today and doing correct plugs in a bit.

Tried to leave shop name off
Shop was rated perfect by hundreds of people on the rating app. Brakes were due so no complaints there- the last shop actually told me the battery and all 4 rotors needed replacement. This shop turned the back rotors and said the batt is good. I won't tell who but most shops sure are not very honest these days it seems. This one was a pleasure to deal with- they are in a high rent part of town so charge more than average I imagine. I told them I would change plugs as they wanted 215$!

Old 01-21-2017, 04:27 PM
93Cobra
Senior User
I would not have dumped that money into it... should have traded it in. That is all sunk cost now. Your weep hole is only going to blow the crap out while driving. You won't see it just sitting in driveway. Remember, your spark plugs are only good for 30k miles... get on that routine.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 93Cobra
I would not have dumped that money into it... should have traded it in. That is all sunk cost now. Your weep hole is only going to blow the crap out while driving. You won't see it just sitting in driveway. Remember, your spark plugs are only good for 30k miles... get on that routine.
You're quite negative. Spark plugs can be done for $20...why again does he need to dump it?

Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 PM
93Cobra
Senior User
For the $$ he dumped into it, may have been better to trade it. He already doesn't like it, so could have cut losses and unload.

Spark plugs are not a $20 job. Motorcraft sp534 plugs jumped in price due to the increased demand (need changed more often)... the boots are still $2 each. It is still around $50 in parts, and not a huge deal. I did them several times on my F150s before I unloaded. My current ecoboost is transverse and that is a bigger challenge. Too bad it can't live up to the owners manual for 100k miles. That was a huge disappointment.

Quick Reply: Discuss the EcoBoost!