Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Discuss the EcoBoost! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1388329-discuss-the-ecoboost.html)

meborder 07-14-2015 11:01 PM

Discuss the EcoBoost!

Here it is, folks. A place where you can freely discuss anything related to the EcoBoost, particularly as it pertains to the 2011-2014 F150.

Love it or Hate it; This is the place to discuss freely, but in a civil, G-rated, Family Friendly manner.

But this comes with a warning:
Name calling and trolling will NOT be tolerated in any way, shape or form. The line in the sand has been drawn, and if crossed, will result in an instant infraction. NO warnings, official or unofficial will be given nor should they be expected.
    As of late, threads having anything to do with the EcoBoost have wandered off course and usually end up being closed because they dissolve into an unrecognizable state of its original self. This needs to stop.
      New topics and postings are welcome! If there is something on your mind regarding the EcoBoost, particularly as it pertains to the 2011-2014 F150, post it here, be it good or bad, rest assured -- this is the place to discuss it. I'd strongly recommend putting a heading on your post such that it can be easily recognized as a new topic, rather than a continuation of an existing chain within the thread.

If it happens that another thread wanders off course (as has happened frequently as of late) the posts that have clearly wandered off point and are not answering questions or making points to help the original point of the thread will be relocated here. Because of this, you may see a discontinuity in the thread lineage. In order to avoid confusion, please use the quote function if you are responding to a specific thought somewhere in the thread. If you need help with this, PM a moderator and we will be glad to help you out, or "clean it up", if needed.
        We are responding to a problem that resides primarily in the 2009-2014 F150 forum, and do not wish to make our problem someone else's problem.
        I trust that all users can see the benefit to a thread such as this. If it turns out that it is not serving the purpose for which it is intended, it will be removed.

Let's discuss!

tjc transport 07-15-2015 05:32 AM

i like it. very good idea, and hopefully it will eliminate a lot of the misconceptions about the eco-engines.

tseekins 07-16-2015 05:18 AM

Good action and great work Mike!!

jstnromero 07-17-2015 07:25 AM

Awesome! Glad to see an outlet is available for Ecoboost discussions.

Thanks for starting this!

Frank-1 07-21-2015 10:52 AM

*sigh*... my truck is now rattling on start up

I was hoping to be exempt but, at 95k miles, my truck's timing chain rattles after it cools down. She'll be paid off in November but I have a knot in my stomach about this problem that hasn't seemed to see any resolution based on what others have seen. I've been such a Ford fan but feel a little let down.

FordService 07-21-2015 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Frank-1 (Post 15516488)
        I was hoping to be exempt but, at 95k miles, my truck's timing chain rattles after it cools down. She'll be paid off in November but I have a knot in my stomach about this problem that hasn't seemed to see any resolution based on what others have seen. I've been such a Ford fan but feel a little let down.

Hi Frank-1,

Let's see what I can do to help turn this around. Have you brought the timing chain rattle to the attention of your dealer? I'll start investigating options to assist.

Crystal

Frank-1 07-21-2015 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 15516792)
        Hi Frank-1,

Let's see what I can do to help turn this around. Have you brought the timing chain rattle to the attention of your dealer? I'll start investigating options to assist.

Crystal

I have not. From what I've been reading, owners are not getting anywhere and even replacing the timing chain has only resulted in a temporary fix. My truck is out of warranty and I just can't afford to put it in the shop and pay an hourly rate for "guessing" even though this is a known problem. My truck had not yet thrown a code related to the timing chain stretch but I feel it's only a matter of time. Then I'll be stuck with the bill for TSB-0194.

FordService 07-21-2015 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Frank-1 (Post 15516802)
        I have not. From what I've been reading, owners are not getting anywhere and even replacing the timing chain has only resulted in a temporary fix. My truck is out of warranty and I just can't afford to put it in the shop and pay an hourly rate for "guessing" even though this is a known problem. My truck had not yet thrown a code related to the timing chain stretch but I feel it's only a matter of time. Then I'll be stuck with the bill for TSB-0194.

I understand, Frank-1. Let me know if you change your mind about visiting the dealer. I'm always just a PM away. :-X22

Crystal

xr7gt390 07-21-2015 10:36 PM

subscribing, so far I have nothing but good things to say about the EcoBoost.

QwkTrip 07-22-2015 05:48 PM

So what is the story on the rattle at startup? I get the idea timing chain is not the root cause and the rattle comes back quickly after the repair, and eventually those engines fail from crank or cam bearing wear. And then I see some people using thicker engine oil to extend the timeline until failure. So what is the real deal with that? Does it have something to do with the oiling system? I've never quite followed what is really going on with this issue.

j.grif 07-25-2015 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 15519945)
        So what is the story on the rattle at startup? I get the idea timing chain is not the root cause and the rattle comes back quickly after the repair, and eventually those engines fail from crank or cam bearing wear. And then I see some people using thicker engine oil to extend the timeline until failure. So what is the real deal with that? Does it have something to do with the oiling system? I've never quite followed what is really going on with this issue.

Can you imagine the amount of bearing wear in either the mains or the cam journals that would allow the chains to be jumping all over the place, I think this is a lubrication problem from the beginning, I think the cam chain issue is symptomatic of a low oil pressure problem possibly caused by worn bearings. possible causes could be oil change intervals too long, quality of oil, fuel dilution issues or jst bad luck. Ford has changed and upgraded parts in the ecoboost that have been a problem in the older engines, in this thread, I would like to see information on upgrading the older engines, things like the cam chains being two row instead of single row and the vacuum pump being engine driven instead of stuffed behind a headlight assy.

meborder 07-25-2015 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by j.grif (Post 15526663)
        Can you imagine the amount of bearing wear in either the mains or the cam journals that would allow the chains to be jumping all over the place, I think this is a lubrication problem from the beginning, I think the cam chain issue is symptomatic of a low oil pressure problem possibly caused by worn bearings. possible causes could be oil change intervals too long, quality of oil, fuel dilution issues or jst bad luck. Ford has changed and upgraded parts in the ecoboost that have been a problem in the older engines, in this thread, I would like to see information on upgrading the older engines, things like the cam chains being two row instead of single row and the vacuum pump being engine driven instead of stuffed behind a headlight assy.

I'm not able to make the leap from timing chain noise to bearing wear.

I don't doubt a lubrication issue, but i think it is a lubrication issue for the timing chain and components, not lower or upper end.

I just can't make that connection, i can't see any way that loose bearings will cause a timing chain to loosen up and make noise.

QwkTrip 07-25-2015 11:34 PM

All I know is that I keep seeing engines with rattle at startup eventually die from bearing wear.

j.grif 07-25-2015 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by meborder (Post 15527402)
        I'm not able to make the leap from timing chain noise to bearing wear.

I don't doubt a lubrication issue, but i think it is a lubrication issue for the timing chain and components, not lower or upper end.

I just can't make that connection, i can't see any way that loose bearings will cause a timing chain to loosen up and make noise.

I think that when the lower end bearings and the cam wear surfaces wear you lose oil pressure, the tensioners are controlled with oil pressure, that is the only connection that I try to make, on the timing chain thread there was at least one or two posts where the owner had timing chains done and found out the journals were worn beyond normal repair, I don't know how deep a dealership mechanic will get into an engine, but I imagine that when the engine has to come out, the mechanic is going to order a long block or reman from where ever, but really, how many engines are being replaced, I think scant few!

tseekins 07-26-2015 06:11 AM

I think I've posted this before but awhile back I read an article that suggested that frequent oil changes were the key to protect from timing chain rattle or stretch if you will. At the time I didn't make the connection between the timing chain and bearing surfaces but now that's it's been mentioned, i think it's totally plausible and very well could be the reason why Ford is either pushing back or simply hasn't found a fix because the fix would be a new engine.